Pain in tendon behind knee

teamhonda15

May 26, 2011
Tuesday this week I went for a 46 mile (33 of that with a group) ride and developed a pain in the tendon on the inside of my left leg behind the knee. I'm not sure if it is the tendon or not, but it hurts where the knee bends on the inside part of the leg. It hurts when pulling up on the pedals and is painful when riding. Has anyone had this happen? How and when should it go away? What treatment will help to heal this? Thanks.

Pain behind the knee typically indicates an overly high saddle position typically associated with tightness in the hamstrings. I'd start by double checking your saddle height.

-Dave

It is more of an injury that bugs me because I think my saddle position is fine. I was just looking for anyone who may have had this injury occur. I can feel it when I walk up stairs and anytime I really pull my leg up or back towards my butt (using the hamstring). Just wondering when it might heal up and if this is common with cycling because it really sucks; especially when i'm riding with a fast club tomorrow.

Have been dealing with the same problem for a couple months now. I did a metric in early April and didn't take it easy enough (too competitive). I had it behind both knees. I did some research and tinkered with my fit which I thought was right on. I ended up lowering my saddle and repositioning my cleats. I still have problems with my right knee If I dont stretch enough. I really feel like it was from my saddle being too high causing to much of a pull at the bottom of my pedal stroke. It is my plan to ride with the saddle lowered a bit and raise it up mm's at a time over the year while those tendons/muscles get stronger. You are right though, very annoying and painful. It took at least a week before I wanted to ride again. I would recommend taking a little rest with constant stretching. Definitely rethink your fit.