Pantour rear disk hub for tandem?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now enjoy.
    It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a recent
    tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding), I was
    wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent tandem--I'm
    thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front fork. Right now,
    Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an acceptably strong tandem
    wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60 lbs. or so of gear. What do
    you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.

    Scott Greenspeed Tandem Haluzak

    Tags:

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now enjoy.
    It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a recent
    tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding), I was
    wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent tandem--I'm
    thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front fork. Right now,
    Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an acceptably strong tandem
    wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60 lbs. or so of gear. What do
    you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.

    Scott Greenspeed Tandem Haluzak

  3. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now
    > enjoy. It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a
    > recent tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding),
    > I was wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent
    > tandem--I'm thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front
    > fork. Right now, Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an
    > acceptably strong tandem wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60
    > lbs. or so of gear. What do you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.

    An alternative might be a tandem that is built with rear suspension as standard. The M5 tandem
    includes this and has options for front suspension. See:
    http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/modellen_eng/tandem2.htm

    Mads

  4. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now
    > enjoy. It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a
    > recent tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding),
    > I was wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent
    > tandem--I'm thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front
    > fork. Right now, Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an
    > acceptably strong tandem wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60
    > lbs. or so of gear. What do you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.

    An alternative might be a tandem that is built with rear suspension as standard. The M5 tandem
    includes this and has options for front suspension. See:
    http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/modellen_eng/tandem2.htm

    Mads

  5. Best thing to do is ask Pantour directly. These guys are honest and after, they're the ones giving
    you a waranty.

    Tony Licuanan Seattle, WA

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now
    > enjoy. It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a
    > recent tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding),
    > I was wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent
    > tandem--I'm thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front
    > fork. Right now, Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an
    > acceptably strong tandem wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60
    > lbs. or so of gear. What do you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.
    >
    > Scott Greenspeed Tandem Haluzak

  6. Best thing to do is ask Pantour directly. These guys are honest and after, they're the ones giving
    you a waranty.

    Tony Licuanan Seattle, WA

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now
    > enjoy. It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a
    > recent tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding),
    > I was wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent
    > tandem--I'm thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front
    > fork. Right now, Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an
    > acceptably strong tandem wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60
    > lbs. or so of gear. What do you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.
    >
    > Scott Greenspeed Tandem Haluzak

  7. I wonder, how many readers in the USA, have an M5 tandem? More comments from Europe concerning the
    M5 would be appreciated.

    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

  8. I wonder, how many readers in the USA, have an M5 tandem? More comments from Europe concerning the
    M5 would be appreciated.

    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

  9. Does anyone in the southern California area have an M5 tandem that my wife and I could take
    for a spin?!

    We have one, but the seat adjustment is long and tedious. If you are 6'1" and she is 5'8", come to
    Santa Maria CA. 50 miles north of Santa Barbara.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

  10. Does anyone in the southern California area have an M5 tandem that my wife and I could take
    for a spin?!

    We have one, but the seat adjustment is long and tedious. If you are 6'1" and she is 5'8", come to
    Santa Maria CA. 50 miles north of Santa Barbara.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Just dreaming here about a new tandem that would be more portable than the Greenspeed we now
    > enjoy. It's a great ride but a chore to lug around and even more difficult to ship or fly. After a
    > recent tour that involved some really bad pavement (and wanting to do a little dirt road riding),
    > I was wondering how a Pantour disk hub might work on a conventional two-wheeled recumbent
    > tandem--I'm thinking the REAR wheel here. Whatever tandem we get will have a suspension front
    > fork. Right now, Pantour only makes 36 hole hubs. Could one of these be used to build up an
    > acceptably strong tandem wheel? My wife/stoker weighs only about 100 lbs., and we might carry 60
    > lbs. or so of gear. What do you think? Currently, I'm dreaming of an Organic Engines Daisy Mayhem.

    Scott,

    The Green Gear Bike Friday DoubleDay [1] will be much more portable than your GTT. In addition, it
    has an ISO 406-mm rear wheel, which should be adequate for tandem use if combined with a rim such as
    the Velocity Taipan [2], Sun B.F.R. [3] or Sun Rhyno-Lite [4].

    [1] < http://www.bikefriday.com/BikeMMI.cfm?PG=4&BF=46&CAT=8#StartPoint

    [2] < http://www.velocityusa.com/catalog/velocity_rims_recumbent.html >
    [3] < http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/BMX/Rims/bfr.html >
    [4] < http://www.sun-ringle.com/ShowRoom/MTB/Rims/rhynomtb.html >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer