Paris-Nice, Stage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Chung

Frigo made the decisive attack up the Croix de Chaubouret (not particularly steep, but about 15km
long) to shatter the peloton. Looked very strong and only Vinokourov (last year's winner) and
Rebellin were able to respond. They picked up a couple of earlier escapees (Botcharov, Zarrabeitia,
and Frigo's teammate Gustov) but basically Frigo dragged everyone up the hill. Axel Merckx (!) led a
pursuing group at 30 seconds that was never able to close down on the gang of six. Vinokourov was
forced to lead out the sprint, and Rebellin was able to come around and make a separation. I can't
remember the last time I saw Rebellin win something. He takes over the yellow-and-white jersey by
bonus seconds over Vinokourov.

Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him was lying motionless on the
ground. Ugh.

Hamilton lost big time. Moncoutie lost even more. Frigo looked very impressive.

<< >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him was lying motionless on the
ground. Ugh.

He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>

Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been so severe. I hope
he recovers.

"Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him was lying motionless on the
> ground. Ugh.
>
> He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>
>
> Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been
so
> severe. I hope he recovers.

So why do so many pros ride without helmets??? Should wearing helmets be enforced?

Marcus

One opinion: http://www.olntv.com/B70022EA0709428DBB91BA6E7DA3E81C.htm

Summary : they should be required. That would eliminate the competitive disadvantage of
wearing them.

Dan

Mike Krueger wrote:
> << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him was lying motionless on the
> ground. Ugh.
>
> He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>
>
> Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been so severe. I hope he
> recovers.
>

"M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him
was
> > lying motionless on the ground. Ugh.
> >
> > He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>
> >
> > Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been
> so
> > severe. I hope he recovers.
>
> So why do so many pros ride without helmets??? Should wearing helmets be enforced?
>
> Marcus

As much as they should enforce wearing full body armor. The helmet wouldn't have helped much with
the broken ribs

-T

"M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him
was
> > lying motionless on the ground. Ugh.
> >
> > He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>
> >
> > Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been
> so
> > severe. I hope he recovers.
>
> So why do so many pros ride without helmets??? Should wearing helmets be enforced?
>
> Marcus
>
Didn't they try to mandate and enforce helmet use back in the early 90s? I remember protests by the
riders about having to wear the "hot and heavy" helmets of the day.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are a professional that values his career, I'd wear a helmet.
Otherwise, you could end up like Kivilev... Just one stupid fall, and bang! there goes your career.

I feel naked without my helmet on. I especially don't trust other riders in the packs that I've been
riding in lately.

Do I think mandating helmet use is the way to go? Probably not. If you want to be an idiot and not
wear your helmet, great. Just don't come crying to me when you end up with a fractured skull!

Mike

In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Schulenburg"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw him
> was
> > > lying motionless on the ground. Ugh.
> > >
> > > He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs. >>
> > >
> > > Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been
> > so
> > > severe. I hope he recovers.
> >
> > So why do so many pros ride without helmets??? Should wearing helmets be enforced?
> >
> > Marcus
>
> As much as they should enforce wearing full body armor. The helmet wouldn't have helped much with
> the broken ribs
>
> -T

I remember Piotr Wadecki had a similar injury last year at around this time, I think it happened
in Tirreno Adriatico. Smashed skull, coma the whole shmear. However, he recovered and ended up in
the Tour de Suisse with 2nd (or third? Can't remember exactly). So hopefully this will be the case
with kivilev!

There are plenty of easier ways to get some time off.

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Tom Schulenburg"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > << >Cofidis' Kivilev was caught up in a crash and last time we saw
him
> > was
> > > > lying motionless on the ground. Ugh.
> > > >
> > > > He's in a coma, with a cracked skull (forehead) and two broken ribs.
>>
> > > >
> > > > Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have
been
> > > so
> > > > severe. I hope he recovers.
> > >
> > > So why do so many pros ride without helmets??? Should wearing helmets be enforced?
> > >
> > > Marcus
> >
> > As much as they should enforce wearing full body armor. The helmet
wouldn't
> > have helped much with the broken ribs
> >
> > -T
>
> I remember Piotr Wadecki had a similar injury last year at around this time, I think it happened
> in Tirreno Adriatico. Smashed skull, coma the whole shmear. However, he recovered and ended up in
> the Tour de Suisse with 2nd (or third? Can't remember exactly). So hopefully this will be the case
> with kivilev!

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message If you
> want to be an idiot and not wear your helmet, great. Just don't come
crying
> to me when you end up with a fractured skull!
>

What makes you think someone would want to?

[email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote in news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> Perhaps if he had been wearing a helmet his injuries would not have been so severe. I hope he
> recovers.

You do know that this statement is going to start a holy war, right?

My prediction is the troll index goes through the roof.

- Boyd

The problem with your logic is riders may well feel that it is a competitive disadvantage to wear a
helmet. There are cat 5's emptying their bank accounts to save a few hundred grams on their bikes,
often in excess of $2 per gram saved -- take off your helmet, and there's over 300 grams which
doesn't have to be supported on your head or carried up mountains. How can you criticize riders for
at times choosing to take this advantage, which is within the rules? Do you similarly think all
other voluntary risks are unacceptable? Should racers stop "tailgating"? That would save a lot of
injuries, as well.

No -- the highly competitive nature of cycling means riders are forced to seek out virtually any
legal advantage available to them. The solution is to eliminate the competitive advantage, and the
way to do that is to mandate use in competition. The same for everyone. Then folks can stop
worrying about it.

Dan

Mike S. wrote:
> Do I think mandating helmet use is the way to go? Probably not. If you want to be an idiot and not
> wear your helmet, great. Just don't come crying to me when you end up with a fractured skull!
>
> Mike

Should wearing helmets be enforced?
> >
> > Marcus
>
> As much as they should enforce wearing full body armor. The helmet
wouldn't
> have helped much with the broken ribs
"Tom Schulenburg"

You're kidding, right? He wouldn't be in a coma from broken ribs. Apparently you've fallen on your
head a few times. Maybe you should wear a helmet.

Bob C.

Why not simply ban bicycle racing. That way he wouldn't have fallen off at all.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Should wearing helmets be enforced?
> > >
> > > Marcus
> >
> wouldn't
> "Tom Schulenburg"
>
> You're kidding, right? He wouldn't be in a coma from broken ribs. Apparently you've fallen on your
> head a few times. Maybe you should
wear a
> helmet.
>
> Bob C.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Didn't they try to mandate and enforce helmet use back in the early
90s? I
> remember protests by the riders about having to wear the "hot and
heavy"
> helmets of the day.

Those helmets were just like the one's you buy today. Perhaps those were lighter. As I recall,
Specialized made a Sub-6 helmet in those days. Maybe you think that human bodies have changed. Yeah,
that's it. They aren't hot and heavy anymore because human's have turned cold blooded. Or at least
some of them who can't keep their noses out of other's business.

> As far as I'm concerned, if you are a professional that values his
career,
> I'd wear a helmet. Otherwise, you could end up like Kivilev...
Just one
> stupid fall, and bang! there goes your career.

You're going to look like on stupid ass if Kivilev recovers and races again.

> I feel naked without my helmet on. I especially don't trust other
riders in
> the packs that I've been riding in lately.

I feel naked without a couple of .45s slung across my back to ward off the assholes in SUV's.

> Do I think mandating helmet use is the way to go?

Why go halfway. Why not mandate body armor, bullet proof face masks and holy tatoos that ward
off bad juju?

Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> I remember Piotr Wadecki had a similar injury last year at around this time, I think it happened
> in Tirreno Adriatico. Smashed skull, coma the whole shmear. However, he recovered and ended up in
> the Tour de Suisse with 2nd (or third? Can't remember exactly). So hopefully this will be the case
> with kivilev!

Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case this time if I understand Ewoud's Dutch site
correctly he died earlier today (http://193.121.55.225/tt/tt.php?p=425&g=0&s=1&r=0&x=1)

KAZAK ANDREI KIVILEV IS OVERLEDEN ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ De Kazakse wielrenner
Andrei Kivilev is woensdag in het ziekenhuis van het Franse Saint-Etienne gestorven. Dat heeft zijn
ploeg Cofidis bekendgemaakt.

Hij overleed aan de verwondingen die hij dinsdag opliep bij zijn val in de tweede rit van
Parijs-Nice.

Kivilev viel op zowat 40 km van de streep, samen met Marek Rutkiewicz en Volker Ordiowski. De Kazak
viel met zijn gezicht op de grond, verloor het bewustzijn en werd meteen naar het ziekenhuis
gevoerd. De ploegmaat van Nico Mattan droeg geen helm

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Should wearing helmets be enforced?
> > >
> > > Marcus
> >
> wouldn't
> "Tom Schulenburg"
>
> You're kidding, right? He wouldn't be in a coma from broken ribs. Apparently you've fallen on your
> head a few times. Maybe you should wear
a
> helmet.
>
> Bob C.

Never said anything about a coma. Punctured lungs, ruptured spleens, etc can be just as traumatic. I
wear a helmet, but that's my choice. From what I've read, his injuries were due to a "Face Plant".
I'm not sure a helmet would have helped. In most fatal cases (Like auto racing) it's the sudden
deceleration that causes major injury. They have yet to design a helmet that prevents that. My
opinion is that a helmet might prevent some head injuries, it won't prevent all injuries and it's
not guaranteed to save your life. You are welcome to your opinion.

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.