pepper

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Elaine, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    Although I've always liked pepper, I've never really
    experimented with different kinds. Usually just the cheapo
    peppercorns at my local grocery store. Thought I'd branch
    out though and bought some tellicherry last week, then on
    top of that bought a new peppermill. This one was exciting -
    it ground the corns in a variety of ways - from coarse to
    fine, however I wanted it. But it came with coloured
    peppercorns and I noticed a huge difference in taste. Now I
    have 3 peppermills - all full. Suppose I could empty one to
    try the tellicherry.

    This could go on and on because I think there are all
    kinds of flavours of peppers. How exciting! (I really
    should get a life.)

    E.

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Although I've always liked pepper, I've never really
    > experimented with different kinds. Usually just the
    > cheapo peppercorns at my local grocery store. Thought
    > I'd branch out though and bought some tellicherry last
    > week, then on top of that bought a new peppermill. This
    > one was exciting - it ground the corns in a variety of
    > ways - from coarse to fine, however I wanted it. But it
    > came with coloured peppercorns and I noticed a huge
    > difference in taste. Now I have 3 peppermills - all
    > full. Suppose I could empty one to try the tellicherry.
    >
    > This could go on and on because I think there are all
    > kinds of flavours of peppers. How exciting! (I really
    > should get a life.)
    >
    > E.

    There is indeed a huge difference in flavor. ;-)

    I only use the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in a
    grinder. I don't buy pre-ground with the exception of the
    salt free lemon pepper that I use a lot of, but that's not
    the same thing. <G>

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  3. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    news:[email protected]....
    :
    : This could go on and on because I think there are
    : all kinds
    of flavours of
    : peppers. How exciting! (I really should get a life.)
    :
    : E.
    :
    : ===========

    What until you try the black Sarawak peppercorns! I like
    them even more than the Tellicherry!

    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  4. Aria

    Aria Guest

    What kind of grinder did you buy??

    "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s04...
    > "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]....
    > : Although I've always liked pepper, I've never really
    > experimented with
    > : different kinds. Usually just the cheapo
    > : peppercorns at my
    > local grocery
    > : store. Thought I'd branch out though and bought some
    > tellicherry last week,
    > : then on top of that bought a new peppermill. This
    > : one was
    > exciting - it
    > : ground the corns in a variety of ways - from coarse
    > : to fine,
    > however I
    > : wanted it. But it came with coloured peppercorns and I
    > : noticed
    > a huge
    > : difference in taste. Now I have 3 peppermills -
    > : all full.
    > Suppose I could
    > : empty one to try the tellicherry.
    > :
    > : This could go on and on because I think there are all
    > : kinds
    > of flavours of
    > : peppers. How exciting! (I really should get a life.)
    > :
    > : E.
    > :
    > : ===========
    >
    > What until you try the black Sarawak peppercorns! I like
    > them even more than the Tellicherry!
    >
    > --
    > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  5. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    "Aria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What kind of grinder did you buy??

    'Trudeau', adjustable pepper mill- I just have to turn the
    lever to whatever coarseness I wish.

    $20 here in Canada..........probably cheaper in the States
    -
    E.

    > "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]_s04...
    > > "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]....
    > > : Although I've always liked pepper, I've never
    > > : really
    > > experimented with
    > > : different kinds. Usually just the cheapo peppercorns
    > > : at my
    > > local grocery
    > > : store. Thought I'd branch out though and bought some
    > > tellicherry last week,
    > > : then on top of that bought a new peppermill. This
    > > : one was
    > > exciting - it
    > > : ground the corns in a variety of ways - from coarse
    > > : to fine,
    > > however I
    > > : wanted it. But it came with coloured peppercorns and
    > > : I noticed
    > > a huge
    > > : difference in taste. Now I have 3 peppermills - all
    > > : full.
    > > Suppose I could
    > > : empty one to try the tellicherry.
    > > :
    > > : This could go on and on because I think there are
    > > : all kinds
    > > of flavours of
    > > : peppers. How exciting! (I really should get a life.)
    > > :
    > > : E.
    > > :
    > > : ===========
    > >
    > > What until you try the black Sarawak peppercorns! I
    > > like them even more than the Tellicherry!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply>

  6. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    Katra writes:

    >In article <[email protected]>, "elaine"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Although I've always liked pepper, I've never really
    >> experimented with different kinds. Usually just the
    >> cheapo peppercorns at my local grocery store. Thought
    >> I'd branch out though and bought some tellicherry last
    >week,
    >> then on top of that bought a new peppermill. This one was
    >> exciting - it ground the corns in a variety of ways -
    >> from coarse to fine, however I wanted it. But it came
    >> with coloured peppercorns and I noticed a huge difference
    >> in taste.

    Dried green peppercorns don't taste very good IMO. Buy the
    green ones brined. Red/pink pepper corns, meh.

    Where the peppermill works wonders, IMO is with good,
    fresh black and white peppercorns of various strains.
    Subtle differences. I'm partial to white, freshly and
    finely ground.

    >There is indeed a huge difference in flavor. ;-)

    Fresh vs. ground, yeh.

    >I only use the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in
    >a grinder.

    Chacun son gout. I like the depth of fresh ground but as I
    said I stick pretty much with white or black.

    >I don't buy pre-ground with the exception of the salt free
    >lemon pepper that I use a lot of, but that's not the same
    >thing. <G>

    Nohow, noway. <g>

    I have to buy/keep on hand pre-ground black pepper for when
    my father-in-law visits since he's got a full set of
    artificial choppers and no matter how finely I grind my
    fresh pepper he still claims it gets between his falsies
    [shaddup Sheldon] and his gums.

    Of course having p*ssed off his daughter I sincerely doubt
    he'll be visiting again anytime soon so perhaps I can dump
    that sawdust.

    Best,

    Marc

  7. Scgram

    Scgram Guest

    _________________________________
    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote > I only use
    the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in a grinder.
    > I don't buy pre-ground with the exception of the salt free
    > lemon pepper that I use a lot of, but that's not the same
    > thing. <G>
    >
    > K.
    I have looked and looked for lemon pepper without salt and
    can't find it. Can you give me a brand name or a place
    online to purchase it? I guess they just don't have it
    around where I live ... Thanks

    scGram

  8. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "scGram" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > _________________________________
    > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote > I only use
    > the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in a grinder.
    >> I don't buy pre-ground with the exception of the salt
    >> free lemon pepper that I use a lot of, but that's not the
    >> same thing. <G>
    >>
    >> K.
    > I have looked and looked for lemon pepper without salt
    > and can't find
    > it. Can you give me a brand name or a place online to
    > purchase it? I guess they just don't have it around
    > where I live ... Thanks
    >
    > scGram

    If you read here more often you'll hear the name Penzey's a
    lot. This is a spice store. You can order it from the store
    or at www.penzeys.com

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  9. Scubapix

    Scubapix Guest

    "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "scGram" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > _________________________________
    > > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote > I only
    > > use the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in a grinder.
    > >> I don't buy pre-ground with the exception of the salt
    > >> free lemon pepper that I use a lot of, but that's not
    > >> the same thing. <G>
    > >>
    > >> K.
    > > I have looked and looked for lemon pepper without salt
    > > and can't find
    > > it. Can you give me a brand name or a place online to
    > > purchase it? I guess they just don't have it around
    > > where I live ... Thanks
    > >
    > > scGram
    > >

    > If you read here more often you'll hear the name Penzey's
    > a lot. This is a spice store. You can order it from the
    > store or at www.penzeys.com

    But she asked for salt free lemon pepper. Salt is the second
    ingredient of 7 listed at Penzeys.

  10. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "SCUBApix" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "scGram" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > _________________________________
    >> > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote > I only
    >> > use the 4 or 5 color pepper mixes now, and in a
    >> > grinder.

    >> > I have looked and looked for lemon pepper without salt
    >> > and can't find it. Can you give me a brand name or a
    >> > place online to purchase it? I guess they just don't
    >> > have it around where I live ... Thanks
    >> >
    >> > scGram
    >> >

    >> If you read here more often you'll hear the name Penzey's
    >> a lot. This is a spice store. You can order it from the
    >> store or at www.penzeys.com
    >>

    > But she asked for salt free lemon pepper. Salt is the
    > second ingredient of 7 listed at Penzeys.

    Yes she did, and salt free lemon pepper is available at
    Penzeys...it is called Sunny Spain

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  11. Scubapix

    Scubapix Guest

    "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "SCUBApix" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > nexis.com:
    >

    > > "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> "scGram" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> If you read here more often you'll hear the name
    > >> Penzey's a lot. This is a spice store. You can order it
    > >> from the store or at www.penzeys.com
    > >>

    > > But she asked for salt free lemon pepper. Salt is the
    > > second ingredient of 7 listed at Penzeys.
    > >

    > Yes she did, and salt free lemon pepper is available at
    > Penzeys...it is called Sunny Spain

    I stand corrected. I did a search for 'lemon pepper'. Silly
    me.

  12. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    SCUBApix wrote:

    > "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Yes she did, and salt free lemon pepper is available at
    > > Penzeys...it is called Sunny Spain
    > >
    > I stand corrected. I did a search for 'lemon pepper'.
    > Silly me.

    Do you have a catalog? I checked, the description of lemon
    pepper said, for salt free lemon pepper, look for Sunny
    Spain. They know what people are looking for.

    nancy