Performance Bicycle SUX?

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BBF8F6E7.25015%[email protected]>...

[snip]

> I can definitely say that this is the case for me at my local shop. The owner knows I have very
> few bucks to spend- so I very frequently get freebies( cables, a few repairs, etc) and always
> 15-25% off and sometimes more.
>
> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products

[snip]

Dear Jay,

Are you saying that your local bicycle shop owner gives his other customers something different than
the "inside honest scoop" and charges them more for it?

Somehow, I doubt that Sheldon Brown, Peter Chisholm, and Andrew Muzi run their shops this way.

Carl Fogel

>> I can definitely say that this is the case for me at my local shop. The owner knows I have very
>> few bucks to spend- so I very frequently get freebies( cables, a few repairs, etc) and always
>> 15-25% off and sometimes more.
>>
>> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products
>
> [snip] Carl Fogel at [email protected] wrote on 12/7/03 9:31 PM: Are you saying that your
> local bicycle shop owner gives his other customers something different than the "inside honest
> scoop" and charges them more for it?
>
> Somehow, I doubt that Sheldon Brown, Peter Chisholm, and Andrew Muzi run their shops this way.

You snipped the hell out of my posting. Therefore the context is all messed up.

What I was conveying is that with *my* connections to designers, manufacturers and cycling
organisations- I get the scoop on some info that I pass on to this bike store owner. I was not in
any way commenting on this or any other bike store owners' honesty.

On 7 Dec 2003 18:31:46 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

>> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products
>
>[snip]
>
>Dear Jay,
>
>Are you saying that your local bicycle shop owner gives his other customers something different
>than the "inside honest scoop" and charges them more for it?

He said that he GAVE this inside scoop to the LBS staff.

I suspect he's sort of a legend in his own mind. I also suspect that the staff laughs their asses
off at him after he leaves.

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BBF94FD2.25129%[email protected]>...
> >> I can definitely say that this is the case for me at my local shop. The owner knows I have very
> >> few bucks to spend- so I very frequently get freebies( cables, a few repairs, etc) and always
> >> 15-25% off and sometimes more.
> >>
> >> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products
> >
> > [snip] Carl Fogel at [email protected] wrote on 12/7/03 9:31 PM: Are you saying that your
> > local bicycle shop owner gives his other customers something different than the "inside honest
> > scoop" and charges them more for it?
> >
> > Somehow, I doubt that Sheldon Brown, Peter Chisholm, and Andrew Muzi run their shops this way.
>
> You snipped the hell out of my posting. Therefore the context is all messed up.
>
> What I was conveying is that with *my* connections to designers, manufacturers and cycling
> organisations- I get the scoop on some info that I pass on to this bike store owner. I was not in
> any way commenting on this or any other bike store owners' honesty.

Dear Jay,

I apologize.

I read and included your post as far as I quoted you, but failed to pay attention to what followed.

I now see that you did not mean that your local bicycle shop gives you "the honest inside scoop"
(implying that they give something else to other customers), but rather that you give the "honest
inside scoop" to your local bike shop.

To make sure that my mistake is clear, here's your complete post with a bracketed explanation where
I failed to follow what you were saying:

> I can definitely say that this is the case for me at my local shop. The owner knows I have very
> few bucks to spend- so I very frequently get freebies( cables, a few repairs, etc) and always
> 15-25% off and sometimes more.

[The "connections" that follow are NOT between Jay and his local bicycle shop owner--C.F.]

> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products, and help set up events
> for various cycling organisations. Last Thursday as I was passing by and business was slow- gave
> him the quick run-down on some new innovations on manufacturing and design, as well as a very
> honest review of a product I am beta-testing for a manufacturer- that he is considering being a
> dealer for next spring. I also gave him the inside edge to new cycling events calendars (
> promotion).

I appreciate how nicely you replied. I should have read your post more carefully instead of leaping
to an ill-natured conclusion.

Sorry,

Carl Fogel

in article [email protected], Carl Fogel at [email protected]
wrote on 12/8/03 2:34 AM:

>>> [snip] Carl Fogel at [email protected] wrote on 12/7/03 9:31 PM: Are you saying that your
>>> local bicycle shop owner gives his other customers something different than the "inside honest
>>> scoop" and charges them more for it?
>>>
>>> Somehow, I doubt that Sheldon Brown, Peter Chisholm, and Andrew Muzi run their shops this way.
>>
>> You snipped the hell out of my posting. Therefore the context is all messed up.
>>
>> What I was conveying is that with *my* connections to designers, manufacturers and cycling
>> organisations- I get the scoop on some info that I pass on to this bike store owner. I was not in
>> any way commenting on this or any other bike store owners' honesty.
>
> Dear Jay,
>
> I apologize.
>
> I read and included your post as far as I quoted you, but failed to pay attention to what
> followed.
>
> I now see that you did not mean that your local bicycle shop gives you "the honest inside scoop"
> (implying that they give something else to other customers), but rather that you give the "honest
> inside scoop" to your local bike shop.
>
> To make sure that my mistake is clear, here's your complete post with a bracketed explanation
> where I failed to follow what you were saying:
>
>> I can definitely say that this is the case for me at my local shop. The owner knows I have very
>> few bucks to spend- so I very frequently get freebies( cables, a few repairs, etc) and always
>> 15-25% off and sometimes more.
>
> [The "connections" that follow are NOT between Jay and his local bicycle shop owner--C.F.]
>
>> Due to some connections, I get the inside honest scoop on some products, and help set up events
>> for various cycling organisations. Last Thursday as I was passing by and business was slow- gave
>> him the quick run-down on some new innovations on manufacturing and design, as well as a very
>> honest review of a product I am beta-testing for a manufacturer- that he is considering being a
>> dealer for next spring. I also gave him the inside edge to new cycling events calendars (
>> promotion).
>
> I appreciate how nicely you replied. I should have read your post more carefully instead of
> leaping to an ill-natured conclusion.
>
> Sorry,
>
> Carl Fogel

Thank you for taking the time to write such a note. As you can tell- often the impersonality of the
internet leads to people escalating such interactions. It is reassuring that people such as yourself
would take the time to write such a note. Perhaps next time you are in doubt- ( maybe my wording was
not very precise the first posting)- you could write something like " you seem to be saying

Once again, this post implies a level of class and maturity that I am glad to make your
acquaintance.