Perth Freeway Bike Hike

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
I just had a look at the info for the Perth Freeway Bike Hike for 2006.

http://www.freewaybikehike.com.au/

There are 2 options - 30km and 10 km.

So that there is some order, riders have to nominate an approximate ride time.

Kids under 12 are not allowed to do the 30km, so, as my younger daughter is 10, the family will ride in the 10km ride. The 10km ride will also be full of 'goodness me, 10km is a long way to ride' type cyclists.

For the 10km ride, you have to nominate whether you will complete it in under 20 minutes or over. I wonder how many of the people that the 10km ride is aimed at will complete it at an average speed of over 30kmh? Splitting the field at over/under 30kph seems a little curious.

If I recall correctly, the 30km race section of the ride last year was completed at an average of 42ish kmh.

SteveA

--
Frank
[email protected]
"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I just had a look at the info for the Perth Freeway Bike Hike for 2006.
>

> http://www.freewaybikehike.com.au/
>
> There are 2 options - 30km and 10 km.
>
> So that there is some order, riders have to nominate an approximate
> ride time.
>
> Kids under 12 are not allowed to do the 30km, so, as my younger
> daughter is 10, the family will ride in the 10km ride. The 10km ride
> will also be full of 'goodness me, 10km is a long way to ride' type
> cyclists.
>
> For the 10km ride, you have to nominate whether you will complete it in
> under 20 minutes or over. I wonder how many of the people that the 10km
> ride is aimed at will complete it at an average speed of over 30kmh?
> Splitting the field at over/under 30kph seems a little curious.
>
> If I recall correctly, the 30km race section of the ride last year was
> completed at an average of 42ish kmh.
>
> SteveA

Try contacting the organisers to see if there's another option. The recent
GBR had 53 or 10km options. 53 was too far for my partner and her 12yo on
his heavy MTB, 10km too short. The organisers allowed them to ride Perth to
Freo then get the train back to Perth. It worked well for them and allowed
me to have a bit of a blast on the Freo - Perth run.

Alternatively you could simply register and start the ride at a point to
suit. Just park and ride down to the Freeway to join in the group.

Cheers,

me

Plodder said:
--

Try contacting the organisers to see if there's another option. The recent
GBR had 53 or 10km options. 53 was too far for my partner and her 12yo on
his heavy MTB, 10km too short. The organisers allowed them to ride Perth to
Freo then get the train back to Perth. It worked well for them and allowed
me to have a bit of a blast on the Freo - Perth run.

Alternatively you could simply register and start the ride at a point to
suit. Just park and ride down to the Freeway to join in the group.

Cheers,

me
I have permission from home to ride with the team from work and then meet up in Joondalup. I just have to decide whether to do a slow 10km with the family or a quicker 30km with the work mob. I will get brownie points (which can/will be used up in future when I buy expensive bikes or parts) if I am on the family ride and sharing the supervision of the 2 kids. Hmmmm. Either choice is good.

SteveA

On 2005-12-15, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> I have permission from home to ride with the team from work and then
> meet up in Joondalup. I just have to decide whether to do a slow 10km
> with the family or a quicker 30km with the work mob. I will get
> brownie points (which can/will be used up in future when I buy
> expensive bikes or parts) if I am on the family ride and sharing the
> supervision of the 2 kids. Hmmmm. Either choice is good.

What's the currency conversion rate from brownie points to bling?

--
TimC
"The application did not fail successfully because of an error"

On 2005-12-15, SteveA (aka Bruce)
> I have permission from home to ride with the team from work and then
> meet up in Joondalup. I just have to decide whether to do a slow 10km
> with the family or a quicker 30km with the work mob. I will get
> brownie points (which can/will be used up in future when I buy
> expensive bikes or parts) if I am on the family ride and sharing the
> supervision of the 2 kids. Hmmmm. Either choice is good.

What's the currency conversion rate from brownie points to bling?

--
TimC
"The application did not fail successfully because of an error"
As this is an inter-spousal negotiated settlement, the laws of relativity do not apply. Conversion rate depends on many factors. There is an observed tendency for the balance of brownie points to be reduced to zero by a single purchase of bling irrespective of the value of the bling and the previous balance of brownie points. Brownie points also have a 'use by' date but this will only be clear after an attempt has been made to use expired points.

Clearly it is in the interests of a person with a credit balance of brownie points to buy bling quickly. And buy big bling quickly.

Mrs A and the junior A's buy me bike bling bits for birthdays and Christmas so they too build up brownie point balances. *

SteveA

*out, out damned accountant.....Can someone get this damned accountant out of my head.