Peter Bone MP calls for helmet law

Danny Colyer

Guest
Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
their MP:
<http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to their
> MP:
> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

Like the link from there to the Man City goalkeeper.

Can anyone find a link for some background on this story? I can't do it
either via Google news, or by searching http://www.northantset.co.uk/. It'd
be interesting if this was a standard 'bloke gets hit by car doing 40mph'
story.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:14:58 +0100
"Rob Oldfield" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
> > their MP:
> > <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>
> >

> Like the link from there to the Man City goalkeeper.
>
> Can anyone find a link for some background on this story?

Only this
http://icnorthants.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20961041&siteid=77910-name_page.html

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 19:14:58 +0100
> "Rob Oldfield" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
>> > their MP:
>> > <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>
>> >

>> Like the link from there to the Man City goalkeeper.
>>
>> Can anyone find a link for some background on this story?

> Only this
> http://icnorthants.icnetwork.co.uk/...objectid=20961041&siteid=77910-name_page.html

Yeah. I just found that as well. Is it just me that finds it strange that
there appears to be no original story to refer to?

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
> their MP:
> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

Looks like Bone has been ambulance chasing.

Alex was 14 at the time of his accident. When Bone was trying to
introduce MHL legislation last year, it was just for under 14s, so would
not have helped Alex.

Jim Fitzpattrick also mentioned the h-word in a written answer, saying
that they encourage cyclists to wear them.

Does anyone know if Bone cycles himself?

On 04/06/2008 19:14, Rob Oldfield wrote:
> Can anyone find a link for some background on this story?

I couldn't find anything older than this BBC story from yesterday:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7434475.stm

--

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to their MP:
> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

EXCELLENT. This means that if the MP's measure to protect our children's
crania passes, it will be known as the Bone Head Law.

tom

--
only positivistic reason and the forms of philosophy based on it are
universally valid -- Pope Benedict XVI

Rob Oldfield wrote:
> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to their
>> MP:
>> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>
>>

> Like the link from there to the Man City goalkeeper.
>
> Can anyone find a link for some background on this story? I can't do it
> either via Google news, or by searching http://www.northantset.co.uk/. It'd
> be interesting if this was a standard 'bloke gets hit by car doing 40mph'
> story.

There was a background story to this in the Towcester Post last year;
there appears to be nothing archived online that I can find.

From memory the story implied that he wouldn't wear a helmet because
his headphones wouldn't fit; the other part I remember said something
like 'he looked back after turning on to the road and saw a van'.

The accident happened on the main road through Silverstone (40mph).

At the time I had mentally composed a letter that went along the lines
of what the lad required was common sense, not a helmet! It never got
past the mental composition stage though.

Maybe an email to the Towcester Post would uncover the original.

BigM

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
> their MP:
> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

Bone was asking about MFHs again yesterday. He does seem to have a bee
in his bonnet about them.

Martin wrote:

> Danny Colyer wrote:
>> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
>> their MP:
>> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

> Bone was asking about MFHs again yesterday. He does seem to have a bee
> in his bonnet about them.

MFHs? Sorry don't know this acronym unless it's mandatory f*****g
helmets! Could someone clarify?

Steve C

Steve C wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>>
>> Danny Colyer wrote:
>>> Cyclists in the constituency of Wellingborough may like to write to
>>> their MP:
>>> <http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-06-03a.636.5&s=cycling#g638.4>

>> Bone was asking about MFHs again yesterday. He does seem to have a bee
>> in his bonnet about them.

> MFHs? Sorry don't know this acronym unless it's mandatory f*****g
> helmets! Could someone clarify?

Magic Foam Hats