PH - Britain's Best Landscape Photographer

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Given the Colin Prior discussion, if CP isn't the best, then who is?
| I'm interested to hear who the contenders are in the opinions of this
| group.
|
| I'd prefer opinions to be based on their photographs of British scenery,
| not of other parts of the world.
|
| Paul

Don't know who my favourite is, but David Noton's images seem pretty good
(http://www.davidnoton.com/), and you might have noticed his monthly column
in Practical Photography magazine - I realise he shoots all over the world,
but is still UK based and has lots of great images taken over here.

Ste

In Article <[email protected]>,"Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'll also mention Walter Poucher who was once considered to be Britain's
>best mountain photographer, and also Derry Brabbs, who I never liked
>much but seemed to be quite popular.

I though about Derry Brabbs, but apart from his Wainwright books, I've not
seen that much of his work.

Other additions for me would be:
David Ward www.davidwardphoto.co.uk
Malcolm MacGregor www.malcolmmacgregor.com
possibly Nick Meers (for the pano fans!)

Although to be honest, I'm only really aware of the photographers who appear
in the magazines or have published books, so there are probably many more
that I simply couldn't name. And there are loads of amatuers I could name
from the Lancashire and Cheshire Photographic Union (of which my club is a
member) portfolio's, but again most people here wouldn't know them.

This chap was the chairman of one of the clubs I go to now and again:
www.davebutcher.net

Regards,
Richard G.

> > I'm not saying he's the best but I'm surprised no one has mentioned
> > Ian Evans:

I like Evans work but his composition is not very strong, he does makes
very saleable images tho.

> Colin Prior
> Joe Cornish
> Ian Evans
> Charlie Waite
> Paul Wakefield
> John Cleare
> Dave Newbould

Joe Cornish is by far the best in that list IMHO

> I'll also mention Walter Poucher who was once considered to be
> Britain's best mountain photographer,

The RPS have a huge collection of his prints and negatives.

> and also Derry Brabbs, who I never liked
> much but seemed to be quite popular.

I have never understood why he is so highly regarded, other than
his links with Wainwright.

Mark Baigent
Industrial - Commercial - Architectural Photography
http://www.markbaigent.co.uk
Tel: 01245 222712

In message <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>Chris Townsend wrote:
>
>> I'm not saying he's the best but I'm surprised no one has mentioned
>> Ian Evans:

>Never heard of him, I'll check him out later, thanks for the link.
>
>So, so far we've got (in no particular order)
>
>Colin Prior
>Joe Cornish
>Ian Evans
>Charlie Waite
>Paul Wakefield
>John Cleare
>Dave Newbould
>
>I'll also mention Walter Poucher who was once considered to be Britain's
>best mountain photographer

His "The Magic of Skye", is still very good, especially in the original
large format edition rather than the miniature current one.

>, and also Derry Brabbs, who I never liked
>much but seemed to be quite popular.
>
>Any more? (You don't really want me to include urw photographers, do
>you Rooney?)
>
>And what about Les Wossname? Is he an amateur or pro?

Gordon Stainforth. "Eyes to the Hills" and "The Cuillin" are both
superb. I have both so I should have remembered him earlier.

http://www.gordonstainforth.co.uk/

His Lake District/Striding Edge, Bank Holiday is a wonderful example of
figures in a landscape.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:27:46 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>SteveO wrote:
>
>>> Given the Colin Prior discussion, if CP isn't the best, then who is?

>> I'm confused, I thought you were suggesting PH is/was, who on earth is
>> it anyway?

>Ha! I was using PH to indicate that this is a PHotography thread! As
>suggested by someone a short while back.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

If the Thread Nannies can't handle selecting "Ignore" thread, or
somesuch, then they should revel in their increased knowledge!!

Bollox(tm) to the idea that you have to use a prefix just so that
*they* ;-) can ignore the thread!

bahhumbug!

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:49:24 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

>There's Paul S himself, but most of his stuff is milky waterfalls or
>else has been faked in Photoshop.

I haven't yet seen if this has been replied to later in the thread but
Rooney you're talking out of your backside and actively libelling Paul
- there's NOTHING FAKED in his photos; whether by Photoshop or by any
other means!!

I reckon the least you can do is apologise to Paul... and do the rest
of us a favour and stop being a total gobshite.

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

"Gordon Harris" <[email protected]> wrote
> Tony Simpkins <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >How do you define "Landscape Photographer"?
> >

> Somebody who takes a lot of grass?

I suppose being a drug addict might help to endure all those hours
waiting for the optimum light conditions ;-)
Tony

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote
> Tony Simpkins wrote:
>
> > Often figures in a landscape 'make' the picture -

> I don't disagree, but as I said, a figure in a landscape is not the

same
> as a picture of a walker with a landscape in the background.

Understood.

> > it would be empty
> > and pointless without them.

> Sorry but I strongly disagree with that. Most landscape photographs
> don't have people in them and there's nothing empty or pointless

about
> them.

Not what I was suggesting.

> Some photos that are particularly lacking in foreground interest
> may benefit, but that's exception rather than the rule. People are

in
> no way compulsory in a landscape photograph.

Didn't say they were. I said that the figures often make the picture.
Take a look at these

http://www.simpkins57.freeserve.co.uk/tairraz.jpg

In my view the figures in these pictures are absolutely essential to
the success of the picture.
They give a sense of scale, obviously, but they also enhance the
landscape itself and are an integral part of it.
But, maybe they're not proper landscapes.

> Where would I find these?

Can't find anything worthwhile on the web.
His best books are "Between Heaven and Earth" written by Gaston
Rebuffat - photos mainly be Pierre Tairraz but also by other members
of the Tairraz family:
also "Journey to the Heart of Mont Blanc" a wonderful book devoted
solely to Pierre Tairraz's photos.
I think they're both out of print but a library might be able to get
hold of copies.

> If Pierre tends to include people in most

of
> his shots, then maybe that's just his style, but it's certainly not

the
> style of most landscape photographers.

Agreed - but I find his photos a refeshing and exciting change from
sunsets and reflections and rocks in the foreground and sunrays
through trees, beautiful though they may be.

> Anyway, let's not get obsessed with definitions here, who do you

think
> is the best British landscape photographer?

Colin Prior.

You need to see his prints or buy his books to appreciate him
properly, not judge him on a few crappy thumbnails on a website.
I find it amazing that in his book "Highland Wilderness" the vast
majority of the panoramas have the same aspect ratio of 3 : 1 and they
all work.

Other photographers of landscapes who will, quite rightly, have their
supporters are:
Gordon Stainforth, John Allen, Martin Moran, Clarrie Pashley, Irvine
Butterfield plus many other walker/mountaineers who carry cameras when
they're out and find themselves in the right place at the
right time.

Books worth looking at, or even owning :
The Magic of the Munros
The Magic of Wester Ross and Skye
Anything by Gordon Stainforth

Tony Simpkins

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> Keep up at the back! It's Mike Reid!

> >Are you being serious here?

> No - just alluding to the earlier thread! (Sorry, Mike).

Having looked at the various links people have posted, my vote for Mike
still stands. My favourite mountain photo which I've got as a background on
my PC comes from a book by Graham Thompson and depicts a lone figure
standing on Sharp Edge as it disappears into the mist but I couldn't find
any more of his to look at on the web. I think he writes routes and does
gear testing for Trail magazine as well.

Richard G. <[email protected]> writes
>In Article <[email protected]>,"Paul Saunders"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'll also mention Walter Poucher who was once considered to be Britain's
>>best mountain photographer, and also Derry Brabbs, who I never liked
>>much but seemed to be quite popular.

>I though about Derry Brabbs, but apart from his Wainwright books, I've not
>seen that much of his work.

Dennis Healey, Mike Harding.
--
Gordon Harris

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:27:16 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote

>> >Are you being serious here?

>> No - just alluding to the earlier thread! (Sorry, Mike).

>Having looked at the various links people have posted, my vote for Mike
>still stands. My favourite mountain photo which I've got as a background on
>my PC comes from a book by Graham Thompson and depicts a lone figure
>standing on Sharp Edge as it disappears into the mist but I couldn't find
>any more of his to look at on the web. I think he writes routes and does
>gear testing for Trail magazine as well.

That's Chris, no?
Actually I'll reinstate my vote for Mike!

"Tony Simpkins" <[email protected]> writes:

>"Gordon Harris" <[email protected]> wrote
>> Tony Simpkins <[email protected]> writes

>> >How do you define "Landscape Photographer"?

>> Somebody who takes a lot of grass?

>I suppose being a drug addict might help to endure all those hours
>waiting for the optimum light conditions ;-)

I think you've got that one confused. Drug addicts are no better than
the rest of us at enduring long waits in unpleasant conditions without
drugs.
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote

> >Having looked at the various links people have posted, my vote for Mike
> >still stands. My favourite mountain photo which I've got as a background

on
> >my PC comes from a book by Graham Thompson and depicts a lone figure
> >standing on Sharp Edge as it disappears into the mist but I couldn't find
> >any more of his to look at on the web. I think he writes routes and does
> >gear testing for Trail magazine as well.

> That's Chris, no?
> Actually I'll reinstate my vote for Mike!

Chris? Chris, as in it should be Chris Thompson (don't think so) or Chris
as in Chris Townsend tests gear for Trail magazine (no, that's tgo)?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:33:35 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> >Having looked at the various links people have posted, my vote for Mike
>> >still stands. My favourite mountain photo which I've got as a background

>on
>> >my PC comes from a book by Graham Thompson and depicts a lone figure
>> >standing on Sharp Edge as it disappears into the mist but I couldn't find
>> >any more of his to look at on the web. I think he writes routes and does
>> >gear testing for Trail magazine as well.

>> That's Chris, no?
>> Actually I'll reinstate my vote for Mike!

>Chris? Chris, as in it should be Chris Thompson (don't think so) or Chris
>as in Chris Townsend tests gear for Trail magazine (no, that's tgo)?

I thought he meant Chris Townsend.

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote

> > >"Gordon Harris" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> Somebody who takes a lot of grass?

> "Tony Simpkins" <[email protected]> writes:

> >I suppose being a drug addict might help to endure all those hours
> >waiting for the optimum light conditions ;-)

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote

> I think you've got that one confused. Drug addicts are no better

than
> the rest of us at enduring long waits in unpleasant conditions

without
> drugs.

"Confused" is my middle name.

Tony Simpkins

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:22:18 +0000, "W. D. Grey"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
><[email protected]> writes
>>Anyway, let's not be too rigid about this, I think most people
>>understand what a landscape photographer is. People are not usually
>>included, although they are optional.

>.....but the inclusion of people does sell pictures!

So who's going to strip off on top of the Beacons?