Phoenix and Newton

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by alienator, May 25, 2008.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, somehow scientists and engineers managed to use all that science that somehow doesn't apply to bicycles and what cyclists "know", and with a nearly perfect landing sequence, they safely put Phoenix on Mars, on target, 171 million miles from Earth.

Science wins again, while ignorant cyclists are still waiting to get a clue.

Congrats, Phoenix team.

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

They sent Phoenix to Mars? Is Tuscon next:D ?

3. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

We scheduled our ride with just enough time to make it back to watch the NASA TV coverage of the reentry.

It's 18:30... picture time!

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Pics are up at the Phoenix Mars Mission homepage.

5. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

Did I just say 'reentry'? (Hangs head).

Time to return my official Space Cadet card, but it sure was fun to watch the EDL team during the final phase.

I heard an interview on Saturday morning (Peter Smith?) who was talking about Phoenix using thrusters rather than air bags. He made a joke about air bags not being a dignified way to land. Sure thrusters are way more efficient (you can use the savings for more payload) and air bags may not work for heavier payloads, but I still love the bouncing beach balls.

Seemed like the team at the UofA were seeing the pictures before the JPL team. I saw a shot of one of the JPL folks on a cell phone while the video link from UofA was showing the folks in Arizona cheering. Made me wonder if the guy at JPL was talking to some one in Arizona.