Photo Tips Track Cycling Photography

Bianco

Aug 19, 2004
I'm starting to develop photography as a hobbie, so everything is still very new to me. I would like some helpful info about photographing races, specifically track events. I am going to the World Cup in L.A. in a few weeks. It is indoors, but very well lit.

Would Velvia slide film be okay? I was thinking I'd buy a monopod to hold the camera steady while I click from my seat.

For all the photo buffs, basically, I'm curious how you would setup for this event.

Thanks......

Bianco said:
I'm starting to develop photography as a hobbie, so everything is still very new to me. I would like some helpful info about photographing races, specifically track events. I am going to the World Cup in L.A. in a few weeks. It is indoors, but very well lit.

Would Velvia slide film be okay? I was thinking I'd buy a monopod to hold the camera steady while I click from my seat.

For all the photo buffs, basically, I'm curious how you would setup for this event.

Thanks......

If I were you I would take a selection of film, not just Velvia, which I think comes only in 50 and 100 asa. It actually takes quite a high shutter speed (about 250th of a second) or a flash to stop a moving bicycle so, if the lighting conditions are less than ideal only having slow film may let you down. You will also want to use a very long lens which will cut down on the amount of light reaching the film even more.
I don't know how far away your seats will be, but it may be difficult to get a long enough lens to get good close photos. I use an 80-200, but I photograph road races right from the side of the course. At a long distance it will also be difficult to use a flash unless you have a very very powerful model.
If you will have a clear view in front of your seat and can move around a bit, you may want to learn and practice "panning" - you move the camera to follow the moving object. You can use a lower shutter speed for this technique, but it does take some practice.

some of my photos are posted at http://www.nwracereport.com/gallery/
I am happy to answer any questions (if I can remember :p ) about how they were taken.

Thanks Eden...
I saw your gallery from one of the previous threads I found after searching. Cool stuff. I'm familiar with panning, but yes I'm sure I could practice. I probably should have mentioned what I'm starting with. I've got a Canon EOS with a Tamron 28-200 lens. It currently has a UV filter on it, and I usually throw 400 film in there.
I've been reading about how great slide film is for color, and there's lots of color in cycling so thats why I was curious. But, I've also read that you want fast film 800 even 1600 for Sports Photography, so I wasn't sure on the film selection.

The seats at the event only go back a maximum of 15-20 rows I think. I plan on getting a Gen. Adm. ticket and arriving early to get a seat right along the rail. They also have a standing section at the "end" of the track, where I could setup close. The lighting, as I remember it last March, was *very* bright. Similar to indoor volleyball or basketball.