Photos of cyclists in Holland... or maybe Denmark? Lost the link...

Ron Ruff

Guest
A few months back someone on this forum posted a link to a series of
photos showing cyclists riding in a city in Denmark or Holland. I
found it very refreshing and would like to see it again... but I can't
seem to find it. Anyone know where it is?

On Feb 13, 7:24 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:50:14 -0800 (PST), Ron Ruff
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >A few months back someone on this forum posted a link to a series of
> >photos showing cyclists riding in a city in Denmark or Holland. I
> >found it very refreshing and would like to see it again... but I can't
> >seem to find it. Anyone know where it is?

> Dear Ron,
>
> http://www.ski-epic.com/amsterdam_bicycles/

Those photos are certainly interesting.

Also interesting is the American author's astonishment at the lack of
helmets, and at the preponderance of generator lights. Now ask
yourself: Who's likely to know more about appropriate cycling
headgear and proper lights - a guy from America, or a cyclist in
Amsterdam? ;-)

(If you read the "comments" section, you'll see quite a few people
have attempted to set the author straight.)

BTW, another nice set of Amsterdam cycling photos can be found at
http://www.domela.com/photos_people/projects_fietsen/web_preview_2006.pdf

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
better life?

On Feb 14, 1:36 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
> common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
> around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
> 6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
> better life?

We do.

Amsterdam: wonderful place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

FWIW, I'll repeat myself to say that an imaginary country melding what
IMHO are the "good parts" of both Holland and the USA would be a fine
IMHO place (for me) to live. Ain't gonna happen, even if gas goes to
$20/gal and our living standard is destroyed (so people will be forced
to ride bikes, like in Amsterdam).

IOW, be careful what you wish for. --D-y

On Feb 13, 8:50 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Also interesting is the American author's astonishment at the lack of
> helmets, and at the preponderance of generator lights.  Now ask
> yourself:  Who's likely to know more about appropriate cycling
> headgear and proper lights - a guy from America, or a cyclist in
> Amsterdam?  ;-)

Whoa, a Krygowski Kwestion. Loaded, of course.

Ask a _cyclist_ in the USA v. a "cyclist" (forced bike commuter?) in
Amsterdam.

Get real, the bikers in Amsterdam don't even keep air in their tires.

What works on the fine bike paths of Amsterdam might not be so
wonderful for commuting in the USA, with its lack of dedicated bike
lanes, and poor care ("sweeping to remove dangerous debris") of what
bike lanes or road margins are available for bikers here (USA).

You said you read the comments following the photos. Well, in your
typical manner, you let on that you read them all <g>.

The feebleness of the output of those "bottle" lighting dynamos was
noted; and the reason ("cops handing out tickets") for their
apparently universal presence was, also.

Well, during those long grey Dutch winters (and much of the rest of
the year), I guess battery expense could pile up (that just fell off
my fingers) (returning to the use of bikes to get around being driven
by financial considerations).

I've used the Soubitez and Union generator lights, to the point where
the friction (and lots of it!) wheels were worn concave. Noisy,
draggy, feeble unless you're going fast. Speaking of, if you're going
to go fast, carry spare bulbs! And don't mind that little hole the
grounding screw put in your seatstay...

I'd guess that many of those generator lights, gone rusty per the
sample shown in one photo of the group, are not in tip-top functioning
condition. IME, the bearings are not well sealed, and prolonged
sitting out

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrY7JxTyoJQ&feature=related>

can result in the friction wheel freezing, or being very difficult to
turn for a few moments at least. But, WTH, if your bike weighs 70lbs,
including the necessary aircraft carrier anchor chain theft/vandalism
protection, and massive racks and baskets, and has barely any air in
the tires, I can see where the generator drag might get lost in the
mix. Which, agreed, would be different, comparing to the American guy
on his Madone.

When I was in Amsterdam, I saw many more people wrapping saddles with
plastic bags (than in the clip linked to above) so they might have a
dry place to sit while pedaling home, for a few moments at least.
Maybe it just kinda wears you down? And you change out of the soggy
underwear as soon as you get home?

> (If you read the "comments" section, you'll see quite a few people
> have attempted to set the author straight.)

I skimmed, but I didn't see anyone "set him straight", to properly use
the expression, on his impression that Amsterdam bike/MV/pedestrian/
tram traffic is a free-for-all. It's not, and therein lie reasons for
the purported* wonderful safety of transport by bicycle in Amsterdam,
and Holland in general.

*Some time ago, during one of these go-rounds, someone posted some
surprising (to me, at least, on first look) cyclist personal injury
stats. I'm not going to bother at the moment, but whew! The Dutch,
apparently cyclists and MV operators alike, do have some problems
being safe at certain types of traffic intersections. Sigh-- so much
for the Mansion on the HIll, as usual! --D-y

On Feb 14, 1:36 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
> common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
> around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
> 6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
> better life?

The first time I stepped off the train platform in Amsterdam I almost
immediately found myself staring at a pickled herring kiosk staffed by
hot wimmin. Probably the most civilized thing I've ever experienced.

On Feb 14, 9:02 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 1:36 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
> > common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
> > around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
> > 6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
> > better life?

> The first time I stepped off the train platform in Amsterdam I almost
> immediately found myself staring at a pickled herring kiosk staffed by
> hot wimmin. Probably the most civilized thing I've ever experienced.

IMO, there's no greater pleasure than having your herring surrounded
by a hot woman.

On Feb 14, 9:29 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:02 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 14, 1:36 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
> > > common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
> > > around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
> > > 6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
> > > better life?

> > The first time I stepped off the train platform in Amsterdam I almost
> > immediately found myself staring at a pickled herring kiosk staffed by
> > hot wimmin. Probably the most civilized thing I've ever experienced.

> IMO, there's no greater pleasure than having your herring surrounded
> by a hot woman.

You've OBVIOUSLY never had your eel smoked by a Dutch woman.

On Feb 14, 9:46 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:29 am, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The first time I stepped off the train platform in Amsterdam I almost
> > > immediately found myself staring at a pickled herring kiosk staffed by
> > > hot wimmin. Probably the most civilized thing I've ever experienced.

> > IMO, there's no greater pleasure than having your herring surrounded
> > by a hot woman.

> You've OBVIOUSLY never had your eel smoked by a Dutch woman.

Smoked?? Eeeek! Better stroked than smoked.

On Feb 14, 10:22 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:46 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 14, 9:29 am, Ozark Bicycle

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > IMO, there's no greater pleasure than having your herring surrounded
> > > by a hot woman.

> > You've OBVIOUSLY never had your eel smoked by a Dutch woman.

> Smoked?? Eeeek! Better stroked than smoked.

Think Lucky Strike, not brisket.

On Feb 14, 9:20 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 8:50 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Also interesting is the American author's astonishment at the lack of
> > helmets, and at the preponderance of generator lights. Now ask
> > yourself: Who's likely to know more about appropriate cycling
> > headgear and proper lights - a guy from America, or a cyclist in
> > Amsterdam? ;-)

> Whoa, a Krygowski Kwestion. Loaded, of course.
>
> Ask a _cyclist_ in the USA v. a "cyclist" (forced bike commuter?) in
> Amsterdam.

Why? I didn't notice the author of that page giving much indication
he knew cycling. He was there on a motorcycle tour; and judging by
his "unrelated rant," he's a skier. But it seems he is a non-cyclist
who was astonished by the cycling in Amsterdam.

Being astonished is fine. But any implication that he knows better
than the Dutch is pretty silly.

> The feebleness of the output of those "bottle" lighting dynamos was
> noted; and the reason ("cops handing out tickets") for their
> apparently universal presence was, also.

Regarding "feebleness": It's the experience of many that dynamo
lighting is certainly practical and adequate for all normal riding.
In fact, it's quite popular in the Paris-Brest-Paris ride, which is
far more demanding than "normal" riding. And as I've posted before,
those Americans using generators in that endurance ride were more
satisfied than those using battery lights.

Regarding cops: Sorry it displeases you, but I think cops _should_
ticket unlit cyclists. Same roads, same rights, same
responsibilities.

> I've used the Soubitez and Union generator lights, to the point where
> the friction (and lots of it!) wheels were worn concave. Noisy,
> draggy, feeble unless you're going fast. Speaking of, if you're going
> to go fast, carry spare bulbs! And don't mind that little hole the
> grounding screw put in your seatstay...

Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
generator in the first place. Many people seem to be not quite up to
the task. Other complaints seem to stem from systems people had on
their first three speed bikes back in the 1960s.

Examples: "Little hole in the seatstay?" Good quality generators are
double-wired and don't use the frame as a conductor. And competent
mechanics know how easy it is to double-wire any generator.

"Friction? Lots of it? Draggy?" See http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html.
"All of the generators were easier to turn than riding up a 1 in 300
slope. Another way of putting that is a rise of 18 feet per mile; and
there's quite a cluster of sidewall and hub-driven models around the
1/500 line, or 10 ft per mile. If that's a hill I'm a Dutchman! Let's
put this into another context. Our 90kg (total) cyclist must produce
about 70W to maintain 20 km/h on the flat. If he turns on his dynamo
he needs another 6W minimum, 14W maximum. He can work a bit harder or
slow to 19 km/h, 18 minimum. Now that's not too bad is it?"

Yes, the drag could be worse if the generator's not aligned properly,
and perhaps yours were badly aligned. But that goes back to
mechanical competence.

"If you're going to go fast, carry spare bulbs?" Well, a spare bulb
isn't a bad idea, but the implication that generators burn out bulbs
at high speed is, once again, left over from the 1960s. Good quality,
modern headlamps or generators are usually protected by Zener diode
pairs, to prevent this problem. And if you've got an older set, it
takes about $1 and about ten minutes work to wire in your own. Which
again, goes back to competence.

And, BTW, I understand all the above competence requirements go away
if you invest in a decent hub generator. A Shimano unit costs under
$100, plus a wheel build (if you can't build your own). You get
lights that add only imperceptible drag, don't burn out at speed,
don't go out of alignment, never run out of batteries, and absolutely
light the road well enough to see, and to be seen, during any normal
on-road riding.

But I confess, I don't own a modern hub generator yet. I'm doing
perfectly fine with my Soubitez roller units and a couple others. I
think the difference is competence.

> I'd guess that many of those generator lights, gone rusty per the
> sample shown in one photo of the group, are not in tip-top functioning
> condition. IME, the bearings are not well sealed, and prolonged
> sitting out

Spoken with wonderful confidence! "Of _course_ I know more than the
Dutch! They cycle everywhere, and I'm sitting on the other side of
the world, but they can't tell as well as I can that their own
headlights are inadequate! "

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
> it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
> generator in the first place. Many people seem to be not quite up to
> the task. Other complaints seem to stem from systems people had on
> their first three speed bikes back in the 1960s.

-snip-

"So how do I wire this?"

"As in the drawing, lead wire goes from dynamo to bulb, return to ground
through the frame as shown in this drawing from the directions"

[blank stare]

--
Andrew Muzi, avec dynamo Soubitéz!
www.yellowjersey.org

>> better life?
>
> We do.
>
> Amsterdam: wonderful place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.
>
> FWIW, I'll repeat myself to say that an imaginary country melding what
> IMHO are the "good parts" of both Holland and the USA would be a fine
> IMHO place (for me) to live. Ain't gonna happen, even if gas goes to
> $20/gal and our living standard is destroyed (so people will be forced
> to ride bikes, like in Amsterdam).
>
> IOW, be careful what you wish for. --D-y

People in A'dam are not forced to ride a bike because of low living
standard. On the contrary.

We respect the environment, hate the car congestion and do our
necessary sports on the bike, traveling to/from school, work, shopping
whatever.

In the meantime have some social interaction and knowledge about the
actual weather!

Martin

On Feb 14, 10:29 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 9:02 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 14, 1:36 am, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the links! It's a shame that something like this isn't more
> > > common in the US. Many places with fine weather are ideal for getting
> > > around by bike, but no allowance is made for them. Instead we have
> > > 6,000lb SUVs gridlocked in 50 mile commutes. Who do you think has the
> > > better life?

> > The first time I stepped off the train platform in Amsterdam I almost
> > immediately found myself staring at a pickled herring kiosk staffed by
> > hot wimmin. Probably the most civilized thing I've ever experienced.

> IMO, there's no greater pleasure than having your herring surrounded
> by a hot woman.

In that case, may I suggest this site. Perfect for Valentine's Day.

http://copenhagengirlsonbikes.blogspot.com/

On Feb 14, 10:53 am, Martin Borsje <[email protected]> wrote:
> People in A'dam are not forced to ride a bike because of low living
> standard. On the contrary.
>
> We respect the environment, hate the car congestion and do our
> necessary sports on the bike, traveling to/from school, work, shopping
> whatever.
>
> In the meantime have some social interaction and knowledge about the
> actual weather!

Thank you! The benefits of this seem obvious to me compared to the way
that dense car traffic thoroughly ruins most urban environments. I'd
even be willing to meet the cars half way by allowing electric-powered
velomobiles to keep the weather off and climb hills without exertion.

On Feb 14, 12:45 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> >  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Whoa, a Krygowski Kwestion. Loaded, of course.
> >> Ask a _cyclist_ in the USA v. a "cyclist" (forced bike commuter?) in
> >> Amsterdam.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Why?  I didn't notice the author of that page giving much indication
> > he knew cycling.  He was there on a motorcycle tour; and judging by
> > his "unrelated rant," he's a skier.  But it seems he is a non-cyclist
> > who was astonished by the cycling in Amsterdam.
> > Being astonished is fine.  But any implication that he knows better
> > than the Dutch is pretty silly.
> >  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The feebleness of the output of those "bottle" lighting dynamos was
> >> noted; and the reason ("cops handing out tickets") for their
> >> apparently universal presence was, also.

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Regarding "feebleness":  It's the experience of many that dynamo
> > lighting is certainly practical and adequate for all normal riding.
> > In fact, it's quite popular in the Paris-Brest-Paris ride, which is
> > far more demanding than "normal" riding.  And as I've posted before,
> > those Americans using generators in that endurance ride were more
> > satisfied than those using battery lights.
> > Regarding cops:  Sorry it displeases you, but I think cops _should_
> > ticket unlit cyclists.  Same roads, same rights, same
> > responsibilities.
> >  "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I've used the Soubitez and Union generator lights, to the point where
> >> the friction (and lots of it!) wheels were worn concave. Noisy,
> >> draggy, feeble unless you're going fast. Speaking of, if you're going
> >> to go fast, carry spare bulbs! And don't mind that little hole the
> >> grounding screw put in your seatstay...

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
> > it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
> > generator in the first place.  Many people seem to be not quite up to
> > the task.  Other complaints seem to stem from systems people had on
> > their first three speed bikes back in the 1960s.

> -snip-
>
> "So how do I wire this?"
>
> "As in the drawing, lead wire goes from dynamo to bulb, return to ground
> through the frame as shown in this drawing from the directions"
>
> [blank stare]
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi, avec dynamo Soubitéz!www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

Got any tips for attaching a grounding screw to a carbon-fibre frame?

;0)

On Feb 14, 11:35 am, [email protected] wrote:

> But it seems he is a non-cyclist
> who was astonished by the cycling in Amsterdam.

Which doesn't have anything to do with what I said previous. Well...

> Being astonished is fine.  But any implication that he knows better
> than the Dutch is pretty silly.

Knows better? I said "ask a cyclist" from the USA. You're cavitating
pretty bad there. Try again, Frank.

> Regarding "feebleness":  It's the experience of many that dynamo
> lighting is certainly practical and adequate for all normal riding.
> In fact, it's quite popular in the Paris-Brest-Paris ride, which is
> far more demanding than "normal" riding.  And as I've posted before,
> those Americans using generators in that endurance ride were more
> satisfied than those using battery lights.

Feeble compared to battery-pack lights. If that wasn't obvious. I keep
forgetting...

I read, perhaps too accurately for your liking, where the problem with
at least some of the battery lights people used in PBP was the
inconvenience of changing batteries in the rain. Something pretty
likely to need doing, due to duration of event, and probably not too
much fun when you're cold and very tired, and short on sleep, to boot.

> Regarding cops:  Sorry it displeases you, but I think cops _should_
> ticket unlit cyclists.  Same roads, same rights, same
> responsibilities.

You just can't let an opportunity pass you by, can you, Frank? I
didn't say anything about how I felt one way or another. I more or
less repeated an assertion made in the comments section that police
pressure IRT ticketing unlit cyclists, implied to be somewhat intense,
was what drove the "generator on every bike" norm. The implication is
pretty clear: if it wasn't for the cops, a lot of people wouldn't
bother with those "barely there" generator lights, which would seem to
say a lot for Dutch bikepaths: Well-lit? Not full of potholes?
Regularly swept, not likely to contain dangerous debris? Regular,
predictable traffic patterns? and so forth.

> Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
> it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
> generator in the first place.  Many people seem to be not quite up to
> the task.  Other complaints seem to stem from systems people had on
> their first three speed bikes back in the 1960s.

We'll see a little more of what ol' Frank is fishing for in a moment.

> Examples:  "Little hole in the seatstay?"  Good quality generators are
> double-wired and don't use the frame as a conductor.  And competent
> mechanics know how easy it is to double-wire any generator.

Aha! The Attack on Competency!!! And we're off to the races, ladies
and gentlemen!

"Good quality" generators of old did have that pointed ground screw
that, as a teenager, I discovered were not too swift in that they did
make that little hole, and then quit working when the little hole
corroded. IMS, a little piece of lamp wire fixed the problem. Not a
pile of "competency" required <g>.

> "Friction?  Lots of it?  Draggy?"  Seehttp://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html.

Old Soubitez or Union units on that list?

> Yes, the drag could be worse if the generator's not aligned properly,
> and perhaps yours were badly aligned.

Or perhaps they were gnat's-ass perfect, and fiddled with besides just
to make sure.

> But that goes back to
> mechanical competence.

Or maybe the old Union and Soubitez units were draggy. They were, and
they sure were noisy, to boot. Well, the Union rear-mount helped
there. And the taillight was wired, too. That was a good idea, there.

> "If you're going to go fast, carry spare bulbs?"  Well, a spare bulb
> isn't a bad idea, but the implication that generators burn out bulbs
> at high speed is, once again, left over from the 1960s.

70's. Maybe 80's, but I think I'd graduated to batteries by then.

> Good quality,
> modern headlamps or generators are usually protected by Zener diode
> pairs, to prevent this problem.  And if you've got an older set, it
> takes about $1 and about ten minutes work to wire in your own.  Which
> again, goes back to competence.

That's a funny way to ask if I know how to make a solder connection,
Frank.

> And, BTW, I understand all the above competence requirements go away
> if you invest in a decent hub generator.  A Shimano unit costs under
> $100, plus a wheel build (if you can't build your own).  You get
> lights that add only imperceptible drag, don't burn out at speed,
> don't go out of alignment, never run out of batteries, and absolutely
> light the road well enough to see, and to be seen, during any normal
> on-road riding.

That's a funny way to ask if I know how to build up a bicycle wheel,
Frank. And your paragraph admits all the problems with generators
(drag, burning out bulbs at speed, alignment problems-- thanks for
that addition, it certainly was a problem in my use-- and feeble
lighting).

And for something you admit to not owning-- or ever even using?--
yourself. Wow. See "confidence", etc. below.

I just guessing here along with you, but I wonder: are they _quieter_
too?

Wow, what a relief it was, even with the old battery-eaters, to just
switch on a light, one little click maybe, and go on enjoying the
usual bicycle noises, and be able to listen behind for cars, too.

> But I confess, I don't own a modern hub generator yet.

Thank you. Is the wheel-building thing holding you back? Just
wondering. IME, people who feel the need to snipe at others'
competence... well, let's just say the problem usually starts at
home, and let it go at that. OK?

> I'm doing
> perfectly fine with my Soubitez roller units and a couple others.  I
> think the difference is competence.

I think going deaf in your old age could help quite a bit, as to the
physical reality. But, whatever floats your imaginary boat, Frank.

> Spoken with wonderful confidence!

Some people have called it "having a chip on my shoulder".

"Of _course_ I know more than the
> Dutch!
> They cycle everywhere, and I'm sitting on the other side of
> the world, but they can't tell as well as I can that their own
> headlights are inadequate! "

Well, one thing for sure, it's easy to put words into someone's mouth
from the other side of the world. Or the USA, for that matter.

Going back to the non-imaginary: I noted the difference in safety
between the ubiquitous cycle paths of Holland (esp. Amsterdam, but
they're all over the country from what I saw) and the "margins"
cyclists in the USA are almost always forced to ride on. You might
have drawn the conclusion, had you read with less anger, and desire to
"put me in my place" (assigned by you, of course) that I might think
that those Soubitez clunkers are adequate (barely, like the Dutchman--
a real one, who would probably be wondering at your use of him in
epithet-- said) for use on dedicated bicycle highways, but are not
necessarily adequate elsewhere.

That's an opinion coming from my using the items in question on the
streets in the USA, not reading about them on the wwweb.

I think you have a problem or two with batteries, Frank, is what's
going on here. Just a feeling <g>.

From my rides with the Wednesday nighters at Planetary Cycles in
Houston (1998-2001), I'd be looking for the current (new, improved,
with lightning bolts and all) versions of some of the lights I saw
people use there-- cost, giving up a water bottle cage, no problem
when it comes to survival. I mean, riding on Memorial drive after dark
with a Union generator, hearing obscured to the rear, and relying on
that faint rear light that was pretty finicky about staying lit? Those
rears were the ones that burned out more often, as I'm remembering,
too. Maybe it was the vibration-- zzzzzzzz!_ from the friction wheel?

No thanks! But like I said, whatever works for you is fine with me as
long as I'm using what I want. --D-y

On Feb 14, 12:45 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
> > it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
> > generator in the first place. Many people seem to be not quite up to
> > the task. ...

> -snip-
>
> "So how do I wire this?"
>
> "As in the drawing, lead wire goes from dynamo to bulb, return to ground
> through the frame as shown in this drawing from the directions"
>
> [blank stare]

Yep.

It took me a while to understand that things that are trivially easy
for some people are absolutely incomprehensible for other people. Not
just difficult - absolutely incomprehensible.

But I take some comfort from this. When I hear either Martin Hayes or
Joshua Bell doing something I'll never dream of doing on a fiddle, I
tell myself "Well, I'm probably a better bike mechanic."

- Frank Krygowski

On Feb 14, 5:33 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:35 am, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > But it seems he is a non-cyclist
> > who was astonished by the cycling in Amsterdam.

> Which doesn't have anything to do with what I said previous. Well...
>
> > Being astonished is fine. But any implication that he knows better
> > than the Dutch is pretty silly.

> Knows better? I said "ask a cyclist" from the USA. You're cavitating
> pretty bad there. Try again, Frank.

Um... if you didn't mean a US cyclist would know better, what did you
mean? The author of that page was not a cyclist, apparently. The
author was acting as if he knew more than the Dutch. And now you're
doing the same, apparently emboldened because you are a genuine
American cyclist.

Sorry, but I trust the Dutch to decide how best to cycle in their own
country.

> > Regarding "feebleness": It's the experience of many that dynamo
> > lighting is certainly practical and adequate for all normal riding.
> > In fact, it's quite popular in the Paris-Brest-Paris ride, which is
> > far more demanding than "normal" riding. And as I've posted before,
> > those Americans using generators in that endurance ride were more
> > satisfied than those using battery lights.

> Feeble compared to battery-pack lights. If that wasn't obvious. I keep
> forgetting...

Feeble in lumen count, or feeble in lighting the road? We've seen at
least one account here from a generator user on P-B-P telling us how
he had battery light people following him, because his generator
headlamp did a better job of actually showing the road. We've had
similar reports from other folks here, regarding utility riding.

> I read, perhaps too accurately for your liking, where the problem with
> at least some of the battery lights people used in PBP was the
> inconvenience of changing batteries in the rain.

Apparently that's not the only negative, based on the account I
described just above. Still, for the type of riding described in
Amsterdam, the "always ready" aspect of a generator is very
important. It is for my utility and touring riding, too.

It may be different for you. I've never claimed generators are best
for everybody. But I will claim that most of the objections I hear
are distorted at best.

> > Regarding cops: Sorry it displeases you, but I think cops _should_
> > ticket unlit cyclists. Same roads, same rights, same
> > responsibilities.

> You just can't let an opportunity pass you by, can you, Frank? I
> didn't say anything about how I felt one way or another.

OK, you're right, you didn't say that. Nonetheless, I think cyclists
should use lights, and I think cops should ticket unlit cyclists.

And I don't see any direct connection between police enforcement and
(specifically) generator lights. To satisfy police, each rider in
those photographs has the opportunity to buy one of these:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/345 or one of these:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/265. My bet is they chose the
generators because they made more sense for them.

> > Personally, I think most generator complaints are due to the fact that
> > it takes a little more mechanical and electrical aptitude to set up a
> > generator in the first place. Many people seem to be not quite up to
> > the task. Other complaints seem to stem from systems people had on
> > their first three speed bikes back in the 1960s.

> We'll see a little more of what ol' Frank is fishing for in a moment.
>
> > Examples: "Little hole in the seatstay?" Good quality generators are
> > double-wired and don't use the frame as a conductor. And competent
> > mechanics know how easy it is to double-wire any generator.

> Aha! The Attack on Competency!!! And we're off to the races, ladies
> and gentlemen!
>
> "Good quality" generators of old did have that pointed ground screw
> that, as a teenager, I discovered were not too swift in that they did
> make that little hole, and then quit working when the little hole
> corroded. IMS, a little piece of lamp wire fixed the problem. Not a
> pile of "competency" required <g>.

Hmm. So the problem you mentioned wasn't much of a problem after
all? Good!

> > "Friction? Lots of it? Draggy?" See http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html.

> Old Soubitez or Union units on that list?

Well, there's one Soubitez and several Unions. But what's your
point? That current generators are no good, because your old one
wasn't? That doesn't make much sense.

> > Yes, the drag could be worse if the generator's not aligned properly,
> > and perhaps yours were badly aligned.

> Or perhaps they were gnat's-ass perfect, and fiddled with besides just
> to make sure.
>
> > But that goes back to
> > mechanical competence.

> Or maybe the old Union and Soubitez units were draggy. They were, and
> they sure were noisy, to boot.

It's probably more accurate to say that you believed they were
draggy. As Chris Juden said in that article, "... I suggest that the
slowing down has more to do with psychology than the actual power
required to turn it. It takes energy to make a noise, your energy. Add
the lowering tone (eee becomes urrr) as speed drops on a hill and it
becomes hard not to believe this morale sapping device is responsible
blame for the pain in your legs and the sweat on your brow! There have
been some crude and nasty ones, but the drag of any decent modern
generator is rather insignificant."

I have a friend who rode a 24 hour endurance trial when he was in his
early 70s (IIRC). He set a course record for his age group, which was
IIRC 325 miles. And he did all of the night riding with a standard
Union bottle generator. (Other friends said "Yep, you'd hear that
whine, and there he would be, riding by again.")

Now, perhaps he'd have broken 400 miles with battery lights. But
based on data I've seen, I don't think so. The sound fools a lot of
people into thinking they're draggier than they really are.

> > "If you're going to go fast, carry spare bulbs?" Well, a spare bulb
> > isn't a bad idea, but the implication that generators burn out bulbs
> > at high speed is, once again, left over from the 1960s.

> 70's. Maybe 80's, but I think I'd graduated to batteries by then.
>
> > Good quality,
> > modern headlamps or generators are usually protected by Zener diode
> > pairs, to prevent this problem. And if you've got an older set, it
> > takes about $1 and about ten minutes work to wire in your own. Which
> > again, goes back to competence.

> That's a funny way to ask if I know how to make a solder connection,
> Frank.

Whatever. If you have an old generator, that's how that problem is
cured.

> > And, BTW, I understand all the above competence requirements go away
> > if you invest in a decent hub generator. A Shimano unit costs under
> > $100, plus a wheel build (if you can't build your own). You get
> > lights that add only imperceptible drag, don't burn out at speed,
> > don't go out of alignment, never run out of batteries, and absolutely
> > light the road well enough to see, and to be seen, during any normal
> > on-road riding.

> That's a funny way to ask if I know how to build up a bicycle wheel,
> Frank. And your paragraph admits all the problems with generators
> (drag, burning out bulbs at speed, alignment problems-- thanks for
> that addition, it certainly was a problem in my use-- and feeble
> lighting).

No, d-y, my list is what people _claim_ are problems. They are all
easily manageable, at least by many people. But if you can't handle
them, you can get a hub generator. Reportedly they are even better.

> And for something you admit to not owning-- or ever even using?--
> yourself. Wow. See "confidence", etc. below.

I can read and understand data, d-y. And FWIW, since this is Usenet
("be excruciatingly precise or someone will be nasty"), I do own a hub
generator. It's an old S-A Dynohub, but I'm waiting to build up the
bike that will use it.

> > But I confess, I don't own a modern hub generator yet.

> Thank you. Is the wheel-building thing holding you back? Just
> wondering. IME, people who feel the need to snipe at others'
> competence... well, let's just say the problem usually starts at
> home, and let it go at that. OK?

:) Nice try, but you lose. I've built that Dynohub wheel, along
with many others, including the ones on which my family rode coast to
coast with full camping loads. Since the S-A has two wildly differing
flange sizes, it was interesting, but no problem.

> > I'm doing
> > perfectly fine with my Soubitez roller units and a couple others. I
> > think the difference is competence.

> I think going deaf in your old age could help quite a bit, as to the
> physical reality. But, whatever floats your imaginary boat, Frank.

Hmm. Well, last test (two years ago) my hearing was still perfect,
and my boat's not imaginary. Although it doesn't have a headlight.
(IOW, what _are_ you talking about??)

> > Spoken with wonderful confidence!

> Some people have called it "having a chip on my shoulder".

Gosh, why would anyone think such a thing about you???? ;-)

> > "Of _course_ I know more than the Dutch!
> > They cycle everywhere, and I'm sitting on the other side of
> > the world, but they can't tell as well as I can that their own
> > headlights are inadequate! "

> Well, one thing for sure, it's easy to put words into someone's mouth
> from the other side of the world. Or the USA, for that matter.

If not that, then what is the point of your harangue?

Despite all the "problems" that have condemned your generators, the
folks in those photos (and several commenters on that site) seem to be
satisfied by their use of generators. So am I. So are half the
Americans in Paris-Brest-Paris. So are a lot of people who post
here.

You're welcome to use what you like. So is anyone else, whatever
their reason. But your list of complaints was pretty distorted, just
like the photo article's complaints about generators.

> That's an opinion coming from my using the items in question on the
> streets in the USA, not reading about them on the wwweb.
>
> I think you have a problem or two with batteries, Frank, is what's
> going on here. Just a feeling <g>.

D-y, for night riding, I've used flashlights with various mounts, a
"block" bottle generator, a Sanyo roller generator with two different
headlamps, a commercial rechargeable unit with a nice big battery,
several small commercial headlamps powered by flashlight batteries, a
homebrew rechargeable based on an MR bulb, a 12 volt bottle generator,
a FER spoke drive unit, several Soubitez rollers - my favorites - and
probably others I'm not recalling. And with the generators, I've
tried various headlamps.

In addition, I've run several night lighting workshops, indoors and
outdoors, plus led a bunch of night rides where participants compared
their headlights. I've got a pretty good idea what's out there and
how it works.

Generators work for lots of folks, whether you like them or not. And
it's no surprise they work well for the folks in Amsterdam.

- Frank Krygowski