Ping: Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:20:49 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the
>>red
>>colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!

> Well, it may be important for the appearance, but not for the taste.

When you cut the cake is beautiful to see the red. Without "red" colour, for
us, is not "Zuppa inglese" :)
Pandora

> Nathalie in Switzerland, as long as it tastes good, it looks good....

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed 28 Sep 2005 07:20:49a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I found this recipe for alchermes:
>>>
>>> Alchermes
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1/2 (half) a litre of 90 proof alcohol
>>> 2 pounds of sugar
>>> 1/2 (half) a stick of vanila
>>> 15 grams of cinnamon
>>> 10 grams of coriander
>>> 10 grams of cordamom
>>> 2 cloves
>>> 5 grams anice
>>> 100 gram rose water
>>>
>>> Special note: spice descriptions can be found here

>>> 1. Crush together the vanila, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, cardamom and
>>> anice.
>>>
>>> 2. Add in a bottle 1/2 a litre of alcohol (90 proof) and a cup of
>>> water.
>>>
>>> 3. Seal the bottle tightly and shake it briefly twice a day for two
>>> weeks.
>>>
>>> 4. Melt 2 pounds of sugar with 1 cup of cold water then add it to the
>>> preparation (bottle).
>>>
>>> 5. Shake it well and let it rest for two days.
>>>
>>> 6. Filter it properly and add the 100 grams of rose water.

>> In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives the
>> red colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!
>> Pandora

> It may be very pretty, but it doesn't sound very appetizing...,
>
> cochineal
> (kochInel´, koch´Inel) , natural dye obtained from an extract of the
> bodies
> of the females of the cochineal bug ( Dactylopius confusus ) found on
> certain species of cactus, especially Nopalea coccinellifera, native to
> Mexico and Central America. The insects' bodies contain the pigment called
> carminic acid, which is obtained by subjecting a mass of the crushed
> insects to steam or dry heat; such large numbers of the insects are needed
> to produce a small amount of dye that the cost is high.
>
> :))

Bleahh!!!! I knew that! but I think that they sell in powder!!! :))))))
So, Nathalie won't say any more that Cochineal is only a colour without
taste :DDDDDD
Pandora

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Wed 28 Sep 2005 08:19:02a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed 28 Sep 2005 07:20:49a, Pandora wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> news:[email protected]...

rec.food.cooking:

(alchermes),

and

water.

>>> In this recipe I don't see the "cocciniglia" (cochineal) which gives

the
>>> red colour to the liqueur!!! It is very important ingredient!
>>> Pandora

>> It may be very pretty, but it doesn't sound very appetizing...,
>>
>> cochineal
>> (kochInel´, koch´Inel) , natural dye obtained from an extract of the
>> bodies of the females of the cochineal bug ( Dactylopius confusus )

found
>> on certain species of cactus, especially Nopalea coccinellifera, native

>> Mexico and Central America. The insects' bodies contain the pigment

called
>> carminic acid, which is obtained by subjecting a mass of the crushed
>> insects to steam or dry heat; such large numbers of the insects are

needed
>> to produce a small amount of dye that the cost is high.
>>
>> :))

> Bleahh!!!! I knew that! but I think that they sell in powder!!! :))))))
> So, Nathalie won't say any more that Cochineal is only a colour without
> taste :DDDDDD
> Pandora

ROTFLMAO!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:19:02 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bleahh!!!! I knew that! but I think that they sell in powder!!! :))))))
>So, Nathalie won't say any more that Cochineal is only a colour without
>taste :DDDDDD
>Pandora

Well well, now I *know* I won't be making red alchermes...

Nathalie in Switzerland

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:19:02 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Bleahh!!!! I knew that! but I think that they sell in powder!!! :))))))
>>So, Nathalie won't say any more that Cochineal is only a colour without
>>taste :DDDDDD
>>Pandora
>>

> Well well, now I *know* I won't be making red alchermes...

But you loose something ...
Pan

> Nathalie in Switzerland

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:10:35 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>> Well well, now I *know* I won't be making red alchermes...

>But you loose something ...
>Pan

Nope. Cochineal has no taste - and I don't care much what my food
looks like, as long as it tastes great (I know, I'm considered weird
for that).

Nathalie in Switzerland

"Nathalie Chiva" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 23:10:35 +0200, "Pandora" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>> Well well, now I *know* I won't be making red alchermes...

>>But you loose something ...
>>Pan

> Nope. Cochineal has no taste - and I don't care much what my food
> looks like, as long as it tastes great (I know, I'm considered weird
> for that).

I've bought just this morning a bottle of alchermes for ? 4.
Perhaps tomorrow I will do "Zuppa inglese" ...
Cheers
Pandora