if it sounds like plastic
isn't it some sort of plastic ?

talking about CF... not being peyorative just a comment

vspa said:
if it looks like plastic
if it sounds like plastic
isn't it some sort of plastic ?

Sure it is. What's your point?

One should also say that the "some sort of" is important: Strictly speaking, when you are talking about the CF material used to build bicycle frames (and other high-performance parts), you should call it at least a "fiber-reinforced plastic". Notice that the carbon fibers themselves, which make up most of the material both weight- and voulme-wise do not fit the common definition of "plastic" at all. Otherwise, what's in a name?

so CF is carbon fibers, as named, mixed with plastic-resin, in essence...

i'm just trying to learn

CF musical instruments... good one. could I also order a CF credit card from my bank ?

i wasn't making a joke, i was serious. i own a cf bike and i know how to ride it better than all of the kitty kitty 3's i used to drop put together when they were on whatever they were on, it wouldn't matter anywho and i don't even consider myself a true cyclist and this is my first road bike i've ever owned.

i love the sound of the carbon fiber instruments, so precise, like me on a bike. ha!

Although I prefer aluminum, Ti, and steel, there is nothing wrong with CF. I know that there is a fatigue factor for aluminum frames, but a steel frame or Ti frame will generally out last the rider. Has anyone seen fatigue statistics on CF?

kdelong said:
Although I prefer aluminum, Ti, and steel, there is nothing wrong with CF. I know that there is a fatigue factor for aluminum frames, but a steel frame or Ti frame will generally out last the rider. Has anyone seen fatigue statistics on CF?

I've not seen any CF data, but I have seen plenty of old CF bikes on the road: first gen Look bikes, Giant Cadexes, old Trek CF bikes, and so on. Look started producing them in the late 80's, but if you round up and say it all started around 1990, then there are CF bikes on the road that are 19 years old. That's great by any measure. With the better understanding of how to apply CF technology to bikes that's come with the passing of time, it's reasonable to expect today's CF bikes to last at least 20-30 years. At least.