Polar HRM - buying help

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rob, May 23, 2003.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Folks - my trusty old Polar Accurex of 1996 vintage has finally packed it in. So i find myself
    looking at the varoius new models on offer from Polar. (this will be the third that i have owned)

    I would like to hear of good, bad indiffernt experiences with the 510,610 & 710. I am leaning toward
    the 710 at this point.

    I see in other posts that there seems to be a prob with the speed sensor, is that universal. How
    about the cadence senor, any issues here ?

    Any info greatfully received.

    Thanks, Rob

    Tags:

  2. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    I give the S-510 a marginal thumbs down... 2 basic flaws.

    1) the sonic link downloading software is a dead end software platform. If you don't like (or find
    other software you wish to use in the future) your toast - forget it, the data is not
    transferable. There is no generic file options.

    2) The red button design flaw...this is one you will find out on your own. And, you'll probably find
    out this design problem just when you wish hadn't lost that specific training session or
    important race. The red button was designed to easily create laps (or mark transitions times).
    Furthermore, in order to stop the HRM from recording, you push a button on the side (thats a good
    thing). Once you've press the side button, your data will stop recording and will be saved.
    However, IF you inadvertently press the big red button again (located on the face of the watch -
    easily accidently pressed), WHAM! You've lost all of your detail HRM data. There is nothing to
    download. All your left with is basic HRM information. BTW, there is also another way to loose
    all your data during downloading...but, that would take more words than this product is worth
    writing about.

    These are two of it's biggest flaws. If you also use it to obtain bike data information, you'll
    soon find out it's not very accurate and the caused is likely be because you'll need to increase
    the power by switching the internal jumpers. As for getting the cadence to work...good luck if of
    average size and you ride in the aero position with the watch on your arm (even if you increase
    the power).

    On the plus side, the Polar S-510 HRM is accurate in measuring HR and not that difficult to learn.

    I wouldn't trade up - you might wait until Timex-Garmin comes out with it's HRM plus Speed+Distance
    device comes out. IF it's as good as it's Timex S+D in terms of accuracy and ease of use, then
    adding a wireless HRM would make it THE benchmark HRM.

    FWIW Joe Moya

    [email protected] (rob) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Folks - my trusty old Polar Accurex of 1996 vintage has finally packed it in. So i find myself
    > looking at the varoius new models on offer from Polar. (this will be the third that i have owned)
    >
    > I would like to hear of good, bad indiffernt experiences with the 510,610 & 710. I am leaning
    > toward the 710 at this point.
    >
    > I see in other posts that there seems to be a prob with the speed sensor, is that universal. How
    > about the cadence senor, any issues here ?
    >
    > Any info greatfully received.
    >
    > Thanks, Rob

  3. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 23 May 2003 06:20:35 -0700, [email protected] (jkmsg) wrote:

    >2) The red button design flaw...this is one you will find out on your own. And, you'll probably
    > find out this design problem just when you wish hadn't lost that specific training session or
    > important race. The red button was designed to easily create laps (or mark transitions times).
    > Furthermore, in order to stop the HRM from recording, you push a button on the side (thats a
    > good thing). Once you've press the side button, your data will stop recording and will be saved.
    > However, IF you inadvertently press the big red button again (located on the face of the watch -
    > easily accidently pressed), WHAM! You've lost all of your detail HRM data. There is nothing to
    > download. All your left with is basic HRM information. BTW, there is also another way to loose
    > all your data during downloading...but, that would take more words than this product is worth
    > writing about.

    I don't understand this.... press the side button and timer etc is paused.

    Press the red button, it starts again....at least thats how it works on my 610i. I'd have thought
    the 710i was identical in this?

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  4. That's correct but the problem is that the 510 only has memory for 1 group of hr data. When you stop
    the recording and start it again, it assumes you have started a new exercise set and don't want to
    save the old. No confirmation, no warning...BAM!

    Oh and he's referring to when you finish the exercise and you are back in "clock" mode.

    -Andrew Boulder, CO

    Paul Allen wrote:
    > On 23 May 2003 06:20:35 -0700, [email protected] (jkmsg) wrote:
    >

    >>2) The red button design flaw...this is one you will find out on your own. And, you'll probably
    >> find out this design problem just when you wish hadn't lost that specific training session or
    >> important race. The red button was designed to easily create laps (or mark transitions times).
    >> Furthermore, in order to stop the HRM from recording, you push a button on the side (thats a
    >> good thing). Once you've press the side button, your data will stop recording and will be
    >> saved. However, IF you inadvertently press the big red button again (located on the face of the
    >> watch - easily accidently pressed), WHAM! You've lost all of your detail HRM data. There is
    >> nothing to download. All your left with is basic HRM information. BTW, there is also another
    >> way to loose all your data during downloading...but, that would take more words than this
    >> product is worth writing about.
    >

    > I don't understand this.... press the side button and timer etc is paused.
    >
    > Press the red button, it starts again....at least thats how it works on my 610i. I'd have thought
    > the 710i was identical in this?
    >

    > --
    > ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

    --
    Andrew F. Halperin - boulder, co

  5. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Fri, 23 May 2003 15:35:00 -0600, Andrew Halperin <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That's correct but the problem is that the 510 only has memory for 1 group of hr data. When you
    >stop the recording and start it again, it assumes you have started a new exercise set and don't
    >want to save the old. No confirmation, no warning...BAM!

    Bugger....that is indeed a bit crap.
    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  6. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    I have the 710 and it's great, the software is ok, though.

    As for the sensors, if you set the range by changing the jumpers in the sensors, all is
    hunkey-dorey.

    Get the 710, you'll be glad that you did. I use 5 different exercise sets:

    1 - basic zones 2 - road bike 3 - mountain bike 4 - grueling intervals 5 - slow (very slow) run a la
    Maffetone.

    As far as I know, only the 710 allows you to have a variety of exercise plans.

    Tom "rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Folks - my trusty old Polar Accurex of 1996 vintage has finally packed it in. So i find myself
    > looking at the varoius new models on offer from Polar. (this will be the third that i have owned)
    >
    > I would like to hear of good, bad indiffernt experiences with the 510,610 & 710. I am leaning
    > toward the 710 at this point.
    >
    > I see in other posts that there seems to be a prob with the speed sensor, is that universal. How
    > about the cadence senor, any issues here ?
    >
    > Any info greatfully received.
    >
    > Thanks, Rob

  7. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:54:28 +0200, "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Get the 710, you'll be glad that you did. I use 5 different exercise sets:
    >
    >1 - basic zones 2 - road bike 3 - mountain bike 4 - grueling intervals 5 - slow (very slow) run a
    >la Maffetone.
    >
    >As far as I know, only the 710 allows you to have a variety of exercise plans.

    The 610i does also. It's like the non-bike 710i.... :)

    I use:-

    1. Walking
    2. Weights
    3. Rowing
    4. Biking
    5. RunWk2 (Run/Walk Week 2 training)

    ...with differing limits/intervals etc.

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  8. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Wed, 28 May 2003 23:30:14 +0100, Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote:

    While on the subject. I just got a S610i and so far very pleased. A few questions I can't seem to
    figure out.

    After downloading the excersize file the it seems that the graphs and file defaults to HR zones of
    the last file set up. This seems to work fine if you go from a Long run to a Long run. However it is
    a problem when you go from a Long run to a Hard ride or any other change. Is there a way to import
    the pre-set HR zones in the Exercise sets to the graphs and excerxise files? I know I can upload the
    (3) different limits but this is normally not enough different zones and or don't cover the whole
    gammet for me. Any body else run into this? What I usually end up doing is evertime I download an
    excersize file I have to set up the HR zones.

    ~Matt

    >On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:54:28 +0200, "Tom G" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Get the 710, you'll be glad that you did. I use 5 different exercise sets:
    >>
    >>1 - basic zones 2 - road bike 3 - mountain bike 4 - grueling intervals 5 - slow (very slow) run a
    >>la Maffetone.
    >>
    >>As far as I know, only the 710 allows you to have a variety of exercise plans.
    >

    >The 610i does also. It's like the non-bike 710i.... :)
    >
    >I use:-
    >
    >1. Walking
    >2. Weights
    >3. Rowing
    >4. Biking
    >5. RunWk2 (Run/Walk Week 2 training)
    >

    >...with differing limits/intervals etc.
    >
    >--
    >------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  9. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Guys

    Thanks so much for taking the time to post here. I guess i will go ahead with the 710 /
    720 purchase.

    I may need to come back to you with guidance on changing the jumper etc.

    A problem i think i will have is fitting the HRM to the Vision bars.

    Thanks again Rob