Polar S720

gixser11

Sep 5, 2004
Anyone able to connect a Polar 720 to a computer without purchasing the Polar IR device? I have my own IRDA but have had no luck connecting. I saw threads on this subject posted previously but they were for serial ports. I don't even have serial ports, only USB.

Very frustrating and the Polar instruction manual is horrible.

gixser11 said:
Anyone able to connect a Polar 720 to a computer without purchasing the Polar IR device? I have my own IRDA but have had no luck connecting. I saw threads on this subject posted previously but they were for serial ports. I don't even have serial ports, only USB.

It took me a few attempts to find the best position for the watch in relation to the IR port on my PC. I found that connecting with something that had a stronger signal first (such as a mobile phone) seemed to narrow down the region. What steps are you using to connect your watch?

Grant

Grant Orchard said:
It took me a few attempts to find the best position for the watch in relation to the IR port on my PC. I found that connecting with something that had a stronger signal first (such as a mobile phone) seemed to narrow down the region. What steps are you using to connect your watch?

Grant
I installed a USB IRDA but not the one by Polar. I have used the connect feature with the watch and the one in the software. Under preferences I am set to connect via IRDA instead of USB. This way it appears to be trying to connect. With USB selected it immediately fails. The manual for the watch says to point the ir device on the watch toward the computer but it never says where the ir window is. My guess is the bottom or left side.

gixser11 said:

agree with you on the manual.

I've connected on my laptops IRDA with no issue, so it DOES work.

on mine anyway, it's on the front

gixser11 said:
I installed a USB IRDA but not the one by Polar. I have used the connect feature with the watch and the one in the software. Under preferences I am set to connect via IRDA instead of USB. This way it appears to be trying to connect. With USB selected it immediately fails. The manual for the watch says to point the ir device on the watch toward the computer but it never says where the ir window is. My guess is the bottom or left side.

Mansmind said:
on mine anyway, it's on the front
Mansmind, you are a savior. I am embarrassed to admit the amount of time spent trying to connect this thing. Tried every direction (at least I thought). After seeing your post tried the front and it locked right in.

gixser11 said:
Mansmind, you are a savior. I am embarrassed to admit the amount of time spent trying to connect this thing. Tried every direction (at least I thought). After seeing your post tried the front and it locked right in.
don't be.. it happens to all of us. Tomorrow I'll probably walk into a door 10 times trying to figure out how to get to the other side...lol

Just got back from the first ride with the 720. Really like the altitude/ascent and temperature readings.
So far I do miss the heart sensor and band from the 520. Although the new strap and sensor with the 720 is a little more comfortable, it is a pain to have to get it wet each time before using it. Also seems to be a little more erratic in getting the heart rate signal.

gixser11 said:
Just got back from the first ride with the 720. Really like the altitude/ascent and temperature readings.
So far I do miss the heart sensor and band from the 520. Although the new strap and sensor with the 720 is a little more comfortable, it is a pain to have to get it wet each time before using it. Also seems to be a little more erratic in getting the heart rate signal.
I did my first one yesterday, at least the first one worth mentioning. I previously had a Polar A5. I certainly like the extra functions, but the actual HR part of it, chest strap..etc I likedbetter on the A5. It was smaller, almost NEVER got any inteferance, and seemed to pick up faster/better. I'm not sure why they had to make the sensor bigger.

They also have a "wearlink" transmitter that's almost nothing but a strap, which I'll probably get. I have a feeling I'll like that one better. I got the cadence sensor also, which has proved interesing. I thought I was pedaling in the 70-80 range most of the time and I'm really in the 90-100. I really didn't expect that.

The software is "okay", but I'd like to be able to customize it more....I don't know it real well yet though. I'll probably go ahead and get the power unit relatively soon, that's the main reason I upgraded anyway.

All in all it has some quirks, but the pros outweigh the cons as far as I can tell.

John

Mansmind said:
I did my first one yesterday, at least the first one worth mentioning. I previously had a Polar A5. I certainly like the extra functions, but the actual HR part of it, chest strap..etc I likedbetter on the A5. It was smaller, almost NEVER got any inteferance, and seemed to pick up faster/better. I'm not sure why they had to make the sensor bigger.

They also have a "wearlink" transmitter that's almost nothing but a strap, which I'll probably get. I have a feeling I'll like that one better. I got the cadence sensor also, which has proved interesing. I thought I was pedaling in the 70-80 range most of the time and I'm really in the 90-100. I really didn't expect that.

The software is "okay", but I'd like to be able to customize it more....I don't know it real well yet though. I'll probably go ahead and get the power unit relatively soon, that's the main reason I upgraded anyway.

All in all it has some quirks, but the pros outweigh the cons as far as I can tell.

John
I actually have the 725. Typo before. I thought it was the same as the 720 with the exception of mobile connectivity to cell phone. The 725 has the wearlink strap. So far I am disappointed in it. More comfortable but reception not as good as the other strap. Plus you have to moisten the modes before each use.