polar speed sensor

TanSlacks

Sep 19, 2004
Sorry to be asking this question, I am sure it has been asked before. But here goes..

I just purchased the polar 725. I am about to mount the speed sensor and would prefer to put it on the rear wheel. Does anyone have experience whether this will be a problem?

Thanks in advance. I am new to the forum and look forward to reading more.

I just tried the same thing last week with my 725. I mounted my speed sensor to the left rear seat stay for when my bike was on the trainer for doing intervals. Speed didn't work. I then put the hrm on the top tube so it'd be closer to the speed sensor but then I got flaky hr readings. :(

I ended up buying a cateye astrale 8 for rear wheel speed/cadence for when the bike's on the trainer.

Lou.

Generally speaking it won't work unless you first open up the sensor and set it for "long range" before you install it. Out of the box, the sensor is set so that its range will be too short to be reliable when used on the rear wheel (for most people anyway). This is to minimize interference problems across different riders' computers. However, you can open up the sensor and move a jumper to set the range to long and then it will work. I don't have the instructions for this handy but have seen them in many places. They should be in the archives here somewhere, as well as in the polar manual or on the polar website.

Alternatively, you could just install it on the front wheel. It works well there.

Lanier

TanSlacks said:
Sorry to be asking this question, I am sure it has been asked before. But here goes..

I just purchased the polar 725. I am about to mount the speed sensor and would prefer to put it on the rear wheel. Does anyone have experience whether this will be a problem?

Thanks in advance. I am new to the forum and look forward to reading more.

Thanks for replying so quickly. If anyone knows how to set the sensor for long range, could you share it?

Thanks again

I've got the 520 and had this done by the shop I purchased it from. The polar site will tell you how they do it but they also say that if you do it yourself and don't seal it properly you risk damaging it as well as voiding your warrantee. So if you can, I'd recommend takinig it in to the joint you purchased it from.