Politicians and their bikes

Dr Kickstand

Guest
I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
one.... What about Gordo?

Tks
Dr K

www.bikesthatfold.com - Bikes That Fold is a resource for folding
bikes

On 11 May 2007 16:09:56 -0700, Dr Kickstand <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
>one.... What about Gordo?

Google throws up a few...

Anne Campbell, former MP for Cambridge, who managed to get a 7p/mile
allowance for MPs to cycle. (since increased to 20p/mile)

Ben Bradshaw, Exeter, Labour

Boris Johnson, Henley, Conservative, not a member of APPCG

Sir George Young, North West Hampshire, Conservative, The Bicycling
Baronet, patron of APPCG

Emily Thornberry, Islington South and Finsbury, Labour, chair of APPCG

David Cameron, Whitney, Conservative

Peter Bottomly, Worthing West, Conservative

The APPCG (All Party Parliamentary Cycling Group) has about 40 members.

Am 11 May 2007 16:09:56 -0700 schrieb Dr Kickstand:

> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> one....

You mean cycling for the camera or really cycling?
There was a report about it on the BBC - only four MPs were cycling back in
2002.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2515793.stm>
According this letter in the Guardian Boris Johnson and a couple of other
politicians cycle as well and the number of cycling MPs seems to be higher.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,1806683,00.html>
They are members of the All-Party Parliamentary Cycling Group
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmparty/060210/memi183.htm

> What about Gordo?

I doubt that he cycles. Plus he's blind on one eye, which might make it
more difficult to cycle.

David Miliband seems to cycle every now and then - and is at the same time
convinced about the benefits of a helmet:
<http://www.davidmiliband.defra.gov.uk/blogs/ministerial_blog/archive/2007/04/30/8317.aspx>

Oh - and in his early days Mr Blair once cycled... presumably a Gazelle
bike. He should have kept that for getting around London...
<http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/:Gro%DFbritannien-Tony-Blair-27.-Juni/588736.html?cp=9>
Apparently on that meeting Helmut Kohl and a couple of other heavyweight
European leaders refused to use the bicycles provided.

Andreas

On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:34:08 +0100
Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:

> > What about Gordo?

> I doubt that he cycles. Plus he's blind on one eye, which might make
> it more difficult to cycle.

Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe.
Put him onna tandem, with Cameron for eyes!

--
not me guv

Am Sat, 12 May 2007 10:00:04 +0100 schrieb Nick Kew:

> On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:34:08 +0100
> Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> What about Gordo?

>> I doubt that he cycles. Plus he's blind on one eye, which might make
>> it more difficult to cycle.

> Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe.
> Put him onna tandem, with Cameron for eyes!

Is that the prospect of a grand coalition? :)

Andreas

Nick Kew wrote (of Gordon Brown):
> Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe.
> Put him onna tandem, with Cameron for eyes!

I dunno about that. Can anyone actually imagine the Labour party being
steered by a Tory?
;-)

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

On May 12, 11:14 am, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote (of Gordon Brown):
>
> > Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe.
> > Put him onna tandem, with Cameron for eyes!

> I dunno about that. Can anyone actually imagine the Labour party being
> steered by a Tory?
> ;-)

Where have you been?

...d

On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:14:11 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Nick Kew wrote (of Gordon Brown):
>> Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe. Put him onna tandem, with
>> Cameron for eyes!

> I dunno about that. Can anyone actually imagine the Labour party being
> steered by a Tory?
> ;-)

Hasn't that been the position since New Labour gained power?

--
Regards
Alex

Alex Potter wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:14:11 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:
>
>> Nick Kew wrote (of Gordon Brown):
>>> Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe. Put him onna tandem, with
>>> Cameron for eyes!

>> I dunno about that. Can anyone actually imagine the Labour party being
>> steered by a Tory?
>> ;-)

> Hasn't that been the position since New Labour gained power?

Call that steering!? ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On May 11, 7:09 pm, Dr Kickstand <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> one.... What about Gordo?
>
> Tks
> Dr K
>
> www.bikesthatfold.com- Bikes That Fold is a resource for folding
> bikes

George W Bush but apparently he runs into people.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:42:45 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

> Alex Potter wrote:

>>> I dunno about that. Can anyone actually imagine the Labour party
>>> being steered by a Tory?
>>> ;-)

>> Hasn't that been the position since New Labour gained power?

> Call that steering!? ;-/
>
> Pete.

More like "led by the nose" ;)

--

Am Sat, 12 May 2007 11:54:40 GMT schrieb Alex Potter:

> On Sat, 12 May 2007 12:42:45 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:
>
>> Alex Potter wrote:

>>> Hasn't that been the position since New Labour gained power?

>> Call that steering!? ;-/
>>
>> Pete.

> More like "led by the nose" ;)

Or "led by spin"... ;->

Andreas

Dr Kickstand twisted the electrons to say:
> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> one.... What about Gordo?

Hugh Bayley, the MP for York has a bike in York and a bike in London.
Apparently, he brings the London bike up to York on the train when it
needs servicing so I guess that means he even has experience of bikes on
public transport.

[email protected] says...
> On Sat, 12 May 2007 08:34:08 +0100
> Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > What about Gordo?

> > I doubt that he cycles. Plus he's blind on one eye, which might make
> > it more difficult to cycle.

> Yep, would tend to make cycling unsafe.
> Put him onna tandem, with Cameron for eyes!

I don't think cycling while blind in one eye would be unsafe. I
used to watch speedway and there was one rider who lost an eye
and could still race.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

On 12/05/2007 16:10, the.Mark said,

> I don't think cycling while blind in one eye would be unsafe. I
> used to watch speedway and there was one rider who lost an eye
> and could still race.

I believe you are allowed to drive with only one eye, and if that is the
case then why not be allowed to cycle? I just wish some of the drivers
I encountered just now would use even one eye :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

the.Mark <[email protected]> writes:

>I don't think cycling while blind in one eye would be unsafe. I=20
>used to watch speedway and there was one rider who lost an eye=20
>and could still race.

One of my aunts had detached retinas when she was younger and was sort of
blind in one eye and mostly in the other. She was taking ultralight flying
lessons without problems, using other tricks to estimate distance to the
ground etc. It only came out when she went for exam and someone thought to
check her eyesight.

Roos

Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dr Kickstand twisted the electrons to say:
> > I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> > one.... What about Gordo?

> Hugh Bayley, the MP for York has a bike in York and a bike in London.
> Apparently, he brings the London bike up to York on the train when it
> needs servicing so I guess that means he even has experience of bikes on
> public transport.

And perhaps experience of what it is like getting his bike serviced in
London? :)

--
T Sandvik // to send e-mail, remove vehicle

in message <[email protected]>, Paul Boyd
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 12/05/2007 16:10, the.Mark said,
>
>> I don't think cycling while blind in one eye would be unsafe. I
>> used to watch speedway and there was one rider who lost an eye
>> and could still race.

> I believe you are allowed to drive with only one eye, and if that is the
> case then why not be allowed to cycle?

You're allowed to drive if you're registered blind, and on the motorway of
the blind the one-eyed man is, errmm, Clarkson.

No, scratch that. Clarkson may /have/ eyes, but I don't believe he uses
them when driving.

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

ts wrote:
> Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Dr Kickstand twisted the electrons to say:
>>> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
>>> one.... What about Gordo?

>> Hugh Bayley, the MP for York has a bike in York and a bike in London.
>> Apparently, he brings the London bike up to York on the train when it
>> needs servicing so I guess that means he even has experience of bikes on
>> public transport.

> And perhaps experience of what it is like getting his bike serviced in
> London? :)

Do you think he goes to Evans?

Cue elyob ;)