Power Training burnout?

zaskar said:
My friends who have PM,s have your book. They use your book like they use the PM.

Oh well. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

acoggan said:
Oh well. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Yeah...but if you ride at 745.7w you'll soon become thirsty.

;)

acoggan said:
Us vanity-user types are all too busy laughing at you for your choice of powermeter. I mean, c'mon: using an Ergomo and, worse still, calling yourself Ergoman is like trying to score with the chics by driving a Kia and calling yourself Kiaman. If you're going to dress (your bike, that is) to impress, everybody knows that you need to get an SRM.

:D

Better howling, but still lacking in content.

SRMman just doesn't sound right, especially for an additional $2000, and who would I impress but other "toy" users? Maybe I could be Polarman? For the $600 street price I could buy five of them and still get change from what I'd pay for one SRM. I could equip a fleet of bikes. Surely that would impress someone...at least someone who could count.

frenchyge said:
Now that I can agree with. Another rider on my team bought a PT and uses it on our training rides. Without his having the vocabulary, I have a hard time explaining to him how he should use the darn thing, or where to even start. :eek:
I've met the type. They've never downloaded data from it.

Ergoman said:
If you want to get better on the bike you have to ride lots and train hard. Anyone can do that without even a speedometer.
Dammit. Thanks for ruining everything for those of use that paid our dues and learned "The Secret" the hard way! Now that the cat's out of the bag might as well go all the way and share the details of how to "ride lots" and "train hard" w/o using even a speedometer. I know. I know. The Coach's Silent Code of Conduct will be broken and the World Power Meter Consortium will retaliate plus who knows what evil things the USAC Certified Power Coaches might do.

Somebody’s got to come clean...

P.S. Rumor has it that details of "The Secret" were briefly revealed in the early 90's. In fact to distract riders from learning about "The Secret" Shimano invented STI. But it was too late for Avocet which was a casualty of the brief "no speedometer" training fad.

:D

Ergoman said:
For the $600 street price I could buy five of them and still get change from what I'd pay for one SRM.
Five power meters?? Pffff.... now you're just trying to overcompensate for something. :rolleyes::p

NM87710 said:
Dammit. Thanks for ruining everything for those of use that paid our dues and learned "The Secret" the hard way!
At least he didn't spill the beans on the second axiom, which is to not train too hard or too much. :cool:

Edit: .... whoops.... :eek:

frenchyge said:
At least he didn't spill the beans on the second axiom, which is to not train too hard or too much. :cool:
Or the third which is not to get so wrapped up in the second that you train too little or too easy....

Too bad someone doesn't make a device that let's you figure out if you're balancing all those secrets and getting the best training and recovery for the time you invest, ya know something that measures and records what you actually put out every time you ride:rolleyes:

I have been without my PT for a spell or two, but I finally did my first race without it (to save weight) and I didnt miss it at all during the race as I expected. What I do find annoying is afterwards knowing my TSS, TSB, etc is no longer accurate. I fudge in a TSS value in the Calender, but i am not confident how that affects the Performance Manager. It appears to not affect it.

Ray

Use a workout of similar duration and intensity (see the TSS and IF tables in TARWAPM) and copy the file. Keeps the data flowing.

Spunout said:
Use a workout of similar duration and intensity (see the TSS and IF tables in TARWAPM) and copy the file. Keeps the data flowing.
yeah-will do!! I tried to fudge in the TSS, but ti doesnt do anything I dont think. I have started to make notes to know which workouts are good all round workouts (Z2 to work, pre-race ride, etc.) for this purpose. Now to put them to use.

Thanks,
Ray

daveryanwyoming said:
Too bad someone doesn't make a device that let's you figure out if you're balancing all those secrets and getting the best training and recovery for the time you invest, ya know something that measures and records what you actually put out every time you ride:rolleyes:
Earth to daveryanwyoming...Come in...You're getting pretty far out there dude. Time to gather your wits and get those feet back in the pedals training lots and hardly riding. Oops, I think that is what they call aCoggian slip:eek: I meant riding lots and training hard . :rolleyes:

zaskar said:
I question what percentage of PM owners use them properly. At the races quite a few riders show up with SRM or PT. It use to intimidate me till I notice after the attacks they are all gone. I have not encountered one strong PM user yet. Did a race yesterday. As soon as the climbs started the PM users were bye bye.
That is because to be able to afford a power meter you work too much to be able to train and rest effectively.

kclw said:
That is because to be able to afford a power meter you work too much to be able to train and rest effectively.

Not me, I work 16 hours a week :)

So back to Wilmar's original concern..... I have recently questioned the same thing, am I really getting a definitive improvement out of my PT?
After reviewing this thread, I had a few questions.....how many of you actually race consistently? I don't race and don't have much/if any desire to. That led me to conclude that although I'd like to improve, is increasing my power and adhering to strict training plans really that important to me. Obviously, no one likes to get dropped when riding with friends or just grouping up with others during the weekend, and it is fun to dish out the pace but is a PM really necessary?

I also have Coggan's PM book, and CP, but don't want to get "bogged" down in all of the analysis. I like knowing my best 20 minutes, etc, but if I'm not racing is it really that important?

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

edit.....
Also, with time contstraints (family, work, etc.) it seems like I don't have the time to do much, if any legitimate data analysis. A lot of days, I am just lucky to get out on the bike for an hour or two. Now, I'm starting to whine/rant, so I'll shut up.

cPritch67 said:
So back to Wilmar's original concern..... I have recently questioned the same thing, am I really getting a definitive improvement out of my PT?
After reviewing this thread, I had a few questions.....how many of you actually race consistently? I don't race and don't have much/if any desire to. That led me to conclude that although I'd like to improve, is increasing my power and adhering to strict training plans really that important to me. Obviously, no one likes to get dropped when riding with friends or just grouping up with others during the weekend, and it is fun to dish out the pace but is a PM really necessary?

I also have Coggan's PM book, and CP, but don't want to get "bogged" down in all of the analysis. I like knowing my best 20 minutes, etc, but if I'm not racing is it really that important?

Just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

edit.....
Also, with time contstraints (family, work, etc.) it seems like I don't have the time to do much, if any legitimate data analysis. A lot of days, I am just lucky to get out on the bike for an hour or two. Now, I'm starting to whine/rant, so I'll shut up.
A power meter is an educational tool for those who want to be educated. Whether that brings definite improvement in cycling is up to an individual's commitment to training. I for one love gazing at my PMC for extended periods of time and think that it has a great placebo effect. :)

Piotr said:
A power meter is an educational tool for those who want to be educated. Whether that brings definite improvement in cycling is up to an individual's commitment to training. I for one love gazing at my PMC for extended periods of time and think that it has a great placebo effect. :)
+1. I have always been of the opinion that the most beneficial aspect of a power meter is that it provides a distraction that keeps the user riding harder and longer.