Powertap or Pro

vitiris

Jul 24, 2003
I am glad to hear that my Tacx may be under-reading as trying to do 4 intervals generating 260W was killing me! Especially as a friend of mine with an elite was laying claim to 300W for 40 mins. Anyway I am toying with the idea of buying a Powertap and have seen that Bikeworld.com are selling the Bontrager wheel at $999.99 which given the Dollar's weakness against Sterling at present seems a good deal. My question is what is the difference between the Pro and standard and which would you recommend?

Any advice greatly appreciated
Sean

i have ridden both and for some reason i have horrible luck with Powertap. sand or other junk gets in the hub bearings and cassette body. right now my hub makes this noise every time i spin it. hopefully it doesn't get worse, i can still ride it right now.
i am getting sick of bringing these powertap hubs to the bike shop to get rebuilt.
i haven't heard of anyone else having problems like this, why me!!?!!?!
maybe i ride too hard. but i don't abuse my equipment.

my next powermeter is going to be a SRM, if i can afford it someday.

Originally posted by velomanct

my next powermeter is going to be a SRM, if i can afford it someday.

I'd hold out if I were you. SRM has it's fair share of problems too. Plus, even when it's working perfectly it needs an awful lot of attention to stay calibrated.

I suspect that within a year or two there will be some new devices which force the quality of all of the divices to rise.

If I had enough money lying around I'd even try to develop my idea for a PM.

vitiris - the Pro has a separate wiring harness & pickup for cadence. The Std infers the cadence from some other measurement(s). One is led to belive that the Pro thus records a more accurate cadence.
I think only the Pro has the interval feature. I find this very valuable while doing intervals.
The Graber/PT website may have the PT manual on line. The Std & Pro use the same manual, different sections for the two models.
Training is unique to each racer, thus the tools & one's use of the tools is also unique. Some may find the Std adequate. I think the Pro is terrific & have had no serious problems with it.

Originally posted by 9606
vitiris - the Pro has a separate wiring harness & pickup for cadence. The Std infers the cadence from some other measurement(s). One is led to belive that the Pro thus records a more accurate cadence.
I think only the Pro has the interval feature. I find this very valuable while doing intervals.
The Graber/PT website may have the PT manual on line. The Std & Pro use the same manual, different sections for the two models.
Training is unique to each racer, thus the tools & one's use of the tools is also unique. Some may find the Std adequate. I think the Pro is terrific & have had no serious problems with it.

the standard estimates cadence from torque spikes, and is reasonably good. The pro actually measures cadence and is as good as any other cadence measuring tool. both the Std and Pro can record intervals, with the latter more intervals can be recorded. the main advantage i find is that the Pro downloads much faster.

i've had no real issues with my PTs. i still have an original grey Tune one that works fine

ric