Powertap Pro non driveside bearing replacement

Si Wilson

Jan 15, 2007
Hi non driveside bearing on my hub is shot, rang the importer who said it was easy to do yourself and that they just push in. I had also spoke to a coach with a lot of experence with PTs (Ric Stern) who had told be that it was possible to diy but there was a possibilty of damaging the torque tube. What does everyone else do?
Thanks Si

Oh and does anyone know the bearing code so i can buy a replacement from a bearing factor as the importer has ran out.
Thanks Si

I just changed mine at Christmas. I was in a race and it gave up on me unfortunately as I was flying......Anyway I cant remember the code for the bearing I just measured the width,Internal and outside diameter and went to an engineering suppliers and bought one for €2.39!!

I replaced it ,no problem and it worked fine. Just ease it out, if you know anybody with a pullers it would be the good to get them to help. Anyway best of luck...

Si Wilson said:
Hi non driveside bearing on my hub is shot, rang the importer who said it was easy to do yourself and that they just push in. I had also spoke to a coach with a lot of experence with PTs (Ric Stern) who had told be that it was possible to diy but there was a possibilty of damaging the torque tube. What does everyone else do?
Thanks Si
I've heard exactly what you heard. Since you are in the UK and would have a longish turnaround if you sent it in, you might want to check calibration via the stomp test, check the zero, then carefully remove replace the bearing, then check calibration and zero again. If the data raises any doubts, send it in, otherwise you are good to go.

morana said:
I just changed mine at Christmas. I was in a race and it gave up on me unfortunately as I was flying......Anyway I cant remember the code for the bearing I just measured the width,Internal and outside diameter and went to an engineering suppliers and bought one for €2.39!!

I replaced it ,no problem and it worked fine. Just ease it out, if you know anybody with a pullers it would be the good to get them to help. Anyway best of luck...

I been wondering this, how many miles did you have on it when it gave out? I have 8,615 miles on mine, havent touched it.

Si Wilson said:
Oh and does anyone know the bearing code so i can buy a replacement from a bearing factor as the importer has ran out.
Thanks Si

Just to clarify things, Si has a Bontrager wheel which is a different UK importer to the standard range of Power Taps. I don't know if the bearing is the same as the PT Pro or different (anyone know, i've never seen a Bontrager PT?).

I i recall correctly, Saris suggests sending in the hub for the bearing change in case you damage the torque tube (i've changed one successfully and damaged one and have no idea how i did things differently in the second one - if at all).

Ric

BTDT. I'm a DIY, but didn't want to back into what the correct bearing was, so I sent it in. $15 to ship and $50 to repair. I had it apart, the non-drive side of the axle was scored. The drive side, non-sealed end was fine. Had ~4000 miles on it. It came back and to my surprise the put in a new axle, bearing, batteries and a few other things I can't remember. Turn around was just under 2 weeks. Good luck.