Powertap Software for Mac Now Available

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
A guy I know has written a program for downloading powertap data to mac, should work for Linux too. He aims to expand the project to include all popular powermeters and non-windows operating systems. Anyone interested in either using the program or contributing to the code check out:

goldencheetah.org

Code is available under the GPL

RS

2 questions:

Does this download the data in a format that cyclingpeaks software will be able to read? Currently there is no way to download data from a PT with an intel Mac cuz Virtual PC does not work on it.

Will it work with a Keyspan Serial to USB adapter?

mr_mojo said:
Currently there is no way to download data from a PT with an intel Mac cuz Virtual PC does not work on it.
Bootcamp won't run cyclingpeaks or anything else that'll download a PT?

jbvcoaching said:
Bootcamp won't run cyclingpeaks or anything else that'll download a PT?

Oh...yes Bootcamp will work, I've been so focused on using Parallels Virtual Machine that I forgot about Bootcamp.

I've been holding out for Parallels (It's very fast btw) so I wouldn't have to reboot just to look at power data...

Right now I'm downloading my PT to an old mac with Virtual PC then sending the .wko files over to my intel iMac to use with Parallels. Kindof a kludge but it works and I can use cyclingpeaks while doing other "mac" stuff in MacOS.

mr_mojo said:
2 questions:

Does this download the data in a format that cyclingpeaks software will be able to read? Currently there is no way to download data from a PT with an intel Mac cuz Virtual PC does not work on it.

Will it work with a Keyspan Serial to USB adapter?

I'm no expert - wasn't involved in writing the code and use exclusively windows PC's (I know, I'm a luddite). Best bet would be to go to the site and shoot a question off to Sean. He knows his stuff and would probably appreciate feedback/suggestions if his software doesn't already have the capabilities you are looking for.

Roadie_scum said:
A guy I know has written a program for downloading powertap data to mac, should work for Linux too. He aims to expand the project to include all popular powermeters and non-windows operating systems. Anyone interested in either using the program or contributing to the code check out:

goldencheetah.org

Code is available under the GPL

RS
Uh, this is like not software to download for your MAC. I mean, I am not a programmer, nor do I have time to figure all this stuff out. I applaud them for their start, but I would say they are VERY, VERY far away from making something that the non-programmer masses can use.

Email me when it's as half as good as CyclingPeaks, I'll take a look. I use CyclingPeaks in the new boot camp, and there is not an issue at all.

Since the new Dual Boot Mac's came out, doesn't this seem to kinda kill the reason for Win Software companies to make Mac apps now? I mean, what's the incentive? I figure in 3-4 years, all Mac's will be dual boot and there will be no need for Mac specific software. Seems to me like this step is Mac waving the white flag to MS.....

Bob

Bob Edberry said:
Uh, this is like not software to download for your MAC. I mean, I am not a programmer, nor do I have time to figure all this stuff out. I applaud them for their start, but I would say they are VERY, VERY far away from making something that the non-programmer masses can use.

Email me when it's as half as good as CyclingPeaks, I'll take a look. I use CyclingPeaks in the new boot camp, and there is not an issue at all.

Since the new Dual Boot Mac's came out, doesn't this seem to kinda kill the reason for Win Software companies to make Mac apps now? I mean, what's the incentive? I figure in 3-4 years, all Mac's will be dual boot and there will be no need for Mac specific software. Seems to me like this step is Mac waving the white flag to MS.....

Bob

Yes, it's very basic and you need to learn a little about using a command line interface to use it. They are trying to develop a GUI, but doing it for free so it can't be their first priority (they are students). It's not cyclingpeaks and it probably won't be anytime soon. I am the first to say cyclingpeaks (now WKO+) is the gold standard in power analysis software. No need to throw stones though, just because it isn't useful for you...

Roadie_scum said:
Yes, it's very basic and you need to learn a little about using a command line interface to use it. They are trying to develop a GUI, but doing it for free so it can't be their first priority (they are students). It's not cyclingpeaks and it probably won't be anytime soon. I am the first to say cyclingpeaks (now WKO+) is the gold standard in power analysis software. No need to throw stones though, just because it isn't useful for you...
Sorry, wasn't meaning to 'throw stones', just wanted to point out that it seemed like 'false advertising' to post that this is software for the Mac. It's more like 'lots of hard work and programming and you can download your PT to a Mac'.

Bob

Bob Edberry said:
Sorry, wasn't meaning to 'throw stones', just wanted to point out that it seemed like 'false advertising' to post that this is software for the Mac. It's more like 'lots of hard work and programming and you can download your PT to a Mac'.

Bob
The false advertising charge might carry more weight if the producers were, wait for it, CHARGING for the product. As it's being given away free, I can't see how anyone doesn't get more than they paid for; worst case, you break even.

Bob Edberry said:

Bob

Well, it is software for mac, it just doesn't have a GUI (graphical user interface). I have above average knowledge of computers but no programming experience and no experience with macs and I'm pretty sure I could work it out (I understand the instructions. Longer term it will probably become more useful to those without so much technical knowledge. You certainly don't need to be able to program to use it (I can't).

If anyone wants to give it a go, here's the basics:

1. Download and decompress the *.tgz file.
2. Install the powertap USB driver (you'd have to do this using any software).
3. Go for a ride.
4. Get a command line.
5. Use 'ptdl' to download your ride from the command line. You type:

$ ./ptdl

It will download to a '*.raw' file, named after your rides start time and date. YYYY_MM_DD_hh_mm_ss.raw is the format for the file name, so a file created at 11:34:03 on the 15th May 2006 would be called 2006_05_15_11_34_03.raw

You now have the data, but it's not very readable.

6. Still in the command line, use ptunpk to unpack your ride data into a much friendlier format, *.dat. You use the file name you want to unpack as the argument. EG - type:

$ ./ptunpk filename.rar

This yields 'filename.dat'.

7. You now have a relatively easy to read file that you can interrogate using the basic command line tools included with the package. 'intervals.pl' gives a summary of intervals performed including time, distance, avg HR, avg power, etc.

On a command line type:

$ ./intervals.pl 2006_05_03_16_24_04.dat

Finally, if you want a graph of your ride, download GNUplot (google it, it's like free!) and use the sample GNUplot script on the goldencheetah site with the filename you want graphed substituted in.

If you resist the urge to glaze over when reading the instructions I think almost anyone could do this stuff, but if you have functional power software running on a PC emulator you should probably stick to that unless you know a bit about computers. Like I said, it's no cyclingpeaks. I just think the project should be encouraged and it might be useful to some people - better yet, maybe someone here wants to write a GUI, or perhaps cyclingpeaks wants to pay these guys to convert cyclingpeaks to mac... who knows...

Roadie_scum said:
Well, it is software for mac, it just doesn't have a GUI (graphical user interface). I have above average knowledge of computers but no programming experience and no experience with macs and I'm pretty sure I could work it out (I understand the instructions. Longer term it will probably become more useful to those without so much technical knowledge. You certainly don't need to be able to program to use it (I can't).

If I had a PowerTap to get data on, or if someone would email me some powertap files, I could put a basic GUI around this and put it into an Application Package in about 2 days of full time effort (about 2 weeks of nightly effort). However as I don't have an Intel Mac I don't think I can compile for it (does the new XCode support cross compilation?) So it would be PowerPC only but I would be happy to provide the XCode project file to anyone that wants to attempt it on their Intel Mac under Mac OS X.

All I would do is put wrapping a GUI around their command line - but i've done it before, and it does work. Basically I would make it a 'one click' experience from powertap file to GUI which is all that the individual command line utils do.

Bob Edberry said:

<begin off topic rant>
Mac OS X is a far superior GUI, far tighter integration of OS/Application look and feel, has far superior HCI guidelines. I could put my mother down in front of Mac OS X and she could use it- I doubt the same could be said for Windows XP without some serious hand holding.

Plus for the geeks, there is true multiuser functionality, built in GNU utilities, command line structure, free development tools, and more.

Plus it works out of the box. I've got 2 Mac's at home both of them work perfectly, both are laptops and never get rebooted, just shut the lid and they go to sleep, open the lid and they wake up. My Windows XP laptop I have to reboot every few days after apparent slowdowns and applications start behaving wierd (Acrobat Reader is a good example of this). I start up my Mac, use it, and put it away without caring and without a problem. I cannot do the same with my Windows XP laptop - its close, but no cigar.

<end off topic rant>

parawolf said:
If I had a PowerTap to get data on, or if someone would email me some powertap files, I could put a basic GUI around this and put it into an Application Package in about 2 days of full time effort (about 2 weeks of nightly effort). However as I don't have an Intel Mac I don't think I can compile for it (does the new XCode support cross compilation?) So it would be PowerPC only but I would be happy to provide the XCode project file to anyone that wants to attempt it on their Intel Mac under Mac OS X.

All I would do is put wrapping a GUI around their command line - but i've done it before, and it does work. Basically I would make it a 'one click' experience from powertap file to GUI which is all that the individual command line utils do.

If you are interested in doing this, I'm sure some people would appreciate it. You could get in touch with Sean Rhea at [email protected] - he'd probably be happy to answer techie questions and help you out with files you need if you'd help with development.

Roadie_scum said:
If you are interested in doing this, I'm sure some people would appreciate it. You could get in touch with Sean Rhea at [email protected] - he'd probably be happy to answer techie questions and help you out with files you need if you'd help with development.

If they can pull this off and have reliable PT downloads it could be a nice shareware product (with a very small target market :eek: ) ...I'd have no problem paying $30-40 for something like this if it worked.

mr_mojo said:
If they can pull this off and have reliable PT downloads it could be a nice shareware product (with a very small target market :eek: ) ...I'd have no problem paying $30-40 for something like this if it worked.
See, that's the problem. While I don't know the guys at CyclingPeaks, but I'll bet that's why they haven't built MAC compatible software. $30-40 for software would likely mean they would need to sell in the range of 5000 copies to break even on a port of their Win app to a Mac app.

My company just got a quote for a similar project(port from win to mac) and our program is much smaller than CyclingPeaks. The quote was for $150,000 and about 6 months of time. Fortunately, we charge $2200 a copy for our software and our market probably about the same as 'power meter software' for the Mac. Needless to say, we are going forward with the port, since we'll sell 68 copies within 3-4 months for sure.

Bob

A blank CDR is $0.10 so you net $2199.90. That's a lot of Ferraris in the garage.

Bob Edberry said:
See, that's the problem. While I don't know the guys at CyclingPeaks, but I'll bet that's why they haven't built MAC compatible software. $30-40 for software would likely mean they would need to sell in the range of 5000 copies to break even on a port of their Win app to a Mac app.

My company just got a quote for a similar project(port from win to mac) and our program is much smaller than CyclingPeaks. The quote was for $150,000 and about 6 months of time. Fortunately, we charge $2200 a copy for our software and our market probably about the same as 'power meter software' for the Mac. Needless to say, we are going forward with the port, since we'll sell 68 copies within 3-4 months for sure.

Bob

Bob Edberry said:

But...If they were to sell 50 copies at $40, they can buy $2000 worth of beer. Remember, they're college students. ;)