Pram sheds and locking

elyob

Guest
Just been looking at thei page r.e. security ..

http://camdencyclists.org.uk/camden/campaigns/cyclestorage

as I have a similar setup, however mine is prefabricated concrete rather
than bricks. Must admit I'm not sure they made the right decision to put the
brackets on the rear wall. That'd be really hard to get to. I'm going to put
in some sort of floor bracket at the front, but need to get access to a
proper drill and electricity. And a cheap place to get a reasonable floor
bracket that I could remove and refit when leaving in the future.

I did buy one of these, which may be enough of a deterrent?

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/sh612eybzpr.jpg

I could also leave it behind without worrying about it. Any thoughts?
(Someone told me to concrete it in, but that just sounds like loads more
work).

elyob wrote:

>Just been looking at thei page r.e. security ..
>
>http://camdencyclists.org.uk/camden/campaigns/cyclestorage
>
>as I have a similar setup, however mine is prefabricated concrete rather
>than bricks. Must admit I'm not sure they made the right decision to put the
>brackets on the rear wall. That'd be really hard to get to.

I think they are relying on the door for security.

Hire a cordless http://www.hss.com/g/1201/Cordless_Drill.html

>And a cheap place to get a reasonable floor
>bracket that I could remove and refit when leaving in the future.

Easily removable equals easily nickable bike.

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 16:31:43 +0100, elyob wrote:

> That'd be really hard to get to. I'm going
> to put in some sort of floor bracket at the front,

http://www.torc-anchors.com

How about one of their Shed Shackles?

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> elyob wrote:
>
>>Just been looking at thei page r.e. security ..
>>
>>http://camdencyclists.org.uk/camden/campaigns/cyclestorage
>>
>>as I have a similar setup, however mine is prefabricated concrete rather
>>than bricks. Must admit I'm not sure they made the right decision to put
>>the
>>brackets on the rear wall. That'd be really hard to get to.

> I think they are relying on the door for security.

Hmm, well my theory is that I don't want to increase the security on my
door, as that just advertises the fact there is something valuable inside.

>>I'm going to put
>>in some sort of floor bracket at the front, but need to get access to a
>>proper drill and electricity.

> Hire a cordless http://www.hss.com/g/1201/Cordless_Drill.html

Hopefully a friend has an SDS drill and hopefully a bit as well. One of the
neighbours is always about and has said I can use electricity.

>>And a cheap place to get a reasonable floor
>>bracket that I could remove and refit when leaving in the future.

> Easily removable equals easily nickable bike.

I've thought about this, and I will be putting a Kryptonite cable through
the rear stays of the two bikes, then locked to the eye bolt. For anyone to
try and remove the bikes will incur an awfully long time trying to unscrew
and I guess will make quite a lot of noise trying this. I was thinking of
gluing it into the floor as well.

There are a number of flats overlooking the shed, so I don't feel security
is a huge issue. Just want to do something in case one of the neighbours
gets greedy!

In article <[email protected]>
elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just been looking at thei page r.e. security ..
>
> http://camdencyclists.org.uk/camden/campaigns/cyclestorage
>
> as I have a similar setup, however mine is prefabricated concrete rather
> than bricks. Must admit I'm not sure they made the right decision to put the
> brackets on the rear wall. That'd be really hard to get to. I'm going to put
> in some sort of floor bracket at the front, but need to get access to a
> proper drill and electricity. And a cheap place to get a reasonable floor
> bracket that I could remove and refit when leaving in the future.
>
> I did buy one of these, which may be enough of a deterrent?
>
> http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/sh612eybzpr.jpg
>
> I could also leave it behind without worrying about it. Any thoughts?

I think rawlbolts are fine as a simple deterrent as long as the
floor/wall is tough enough.

> (Someone told me to concrete it in, but that just sounds like loads more
> work).

An alternative is to get hold of a short length of hardened steel chain
and concrete it in with a couple of links left exposed. Requires a
bigger hole, but you can do it with a hammer and chisel if there's no
power and it won't unscrew.