Presta and Schraeder Valves

Reply to pmailkeey

> Could I interest you in a 48 channel 3-scene lighting desk ?

Nah, we've recently bought a Strand 520i (go-faster stripes, blue LEDs and optional wheeltrim), so
I'll pass ;-)

--
Mark, UK. If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to
hang him. - Richelieu

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:35:22 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>pmailkeey wrote:
>> Er, because they're discs ! Like floppy discs, hard discs and slipped discs.
>
>I *was* going to point out that they would be floppy disks, hard disks and slipped disks. But I
>thought I'd check the OED first, and found that "disk" is defined as:"US spelling of disc".
>
>Bum.
>
>But wait! I happen to have a copy of the Chambers dictionary dating from the 1950's. And that gives
>"disk" as the primary spelling (although "disc" is acceptable).
>
>I suspect that "disc" has only really become commonplace in the past 20 years, because of CD's. And
>the compilers of the OED like to keep up with the evolution of the English language (hence their
>acceptance of the irritating habit of using "data" as a singular noun), so my guess is that they've
>changed the primary spelling accordingly.

Even here in the US spellings seem to be usage related. Automobiles universally (Americally?) have
disc brakes. Computers typically have disks. On the desk in front of me is a box of 3M Diskettes.
Also a box of Memorex Recordable Compact Discs.

A search of the American Medical Association's web site for "disk" gets 32 hits, as does a search
for "disc". :)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:29:59 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:)news:[email protected]... ) )> Was there any indication as to the cause of the
:leaks ? ) )Crud in the valve seat mainly ) )> An easy anser is to change the valves ! Can you do
:that with Prestas ? )> AFAIK, there are unscrewable ones, but I know some don't. All )> Schraders
:do ! ) )Since I've never had a tube outlast the valve that's not really an issue.

Now there's a thought - when you chuck the tube out, keep the valve and put it in the
replacement tube !

:) )> ?? But having a transport type independent standard which is quite )> suited to bicycles seems
:quite sensible. IF racing cyclists prefer )> Prestas for less weight, I don't mind ! ) )You miss
:the point. Presta is also a standard.

A sub standard ;)

Bill Gates would love it if
:)eveybody gave up on every other type of operating system on the basis that )Windows has umpteen
:percent market share, this is known in the Mac an Linux )worlds as the "40 billion flies can't be
:wrong" argument...

But that's akin to everyone using Prestas !

Like VHS cassettes - worst of the three systems but the most popular. VHS is still poor quality.

:) )> I've not seen the same chalk contamination on car valves - so why bike )> tube manufacturers
:fill theirs with dust, I don't know. ) )AIUI the dust is there to stop the tubes sticking together
:when packed.

No need to put it in the valve though !

Car
:)tyres are, of course, tubeless.

That's only the modern trend. And in that case, it's the ally wheels that let the air out when
they corrode.
--
Comm again, Mike.

"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> :)You miss the point. Presta is also a standard.

> A sub standard ;)

In your opinion. I find Presta perfectly acceptable.

> :)AIUI the dust is there to stop the tubes sticking together when packed.

> No need to put it in the valve though !

Yes, the dust fairies should brush the air free of dust as you let it out of the valve.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:57:52 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Even here in the US spellings seem to be usage related. Automobiles )universally (Americally?)
:have disc brakes. Computers typically have )disks. On the desk in front of me is a box of 3M
:Diskettes. Also a box )of Memorex Recordable Compact Discs. ) )A search of the American Medical
:Association's web site for "disk" )gets 32 hits, as does a search for "disc". :)

The same hits ? And where did "Automobile" come from ? Car came from motor CARriage. And don't you
think "bicyclist" is a lot harder to say than cyclist as well as excluding other cyclists who do not
have 2 wheels ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:30:58 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:)news:[email protected]... ) )> :)>Considering the usual attachments for them
:mechanically open the valve )> :)>during inflation, there'll be less air-effort to inflate the tyre
:than )> :)>with prestas ! ) )> :)Or there would be if the attachments for Prestas didn't also open
:the )> :)valve. ) )> The ones I've seen have been simple tubes which screw on and seem to )> rely
:eek:n the fact there's no spring behind the valve. ) )I have at last count five different pumps which
:fit Presta valves. All open )the valve as the pump head is applied. It is not immediately obvious
:)looking at the outside of them, but you can tell simply by

..the fact the tyres go flat accompanied by a psst!
--
Comm again, Mike.

<[email protected]> wrote:

:)pmailkeey wrote: )> Er, because they're discs ! Like floppy discs, hard discs and slipped )>
:discs. ) )I *was* going to point out that they would be floppy disks, hard disks )and slipped
:disks. But I thought I'd check the OED first, and found )that "disk" is defined as:"US spelling of
:disc". ) )Bum.

And of course discettes ! (I don't think so !)

:) )But wait! I happen to have a copy of the Chambers dictionary dating )from the 1950's. And that
:gives "disk" as the primary spelling )(although "disc" is acceptable).

Mine* has the definition under disk, but includes or disc.

I believe where it's gone pear-shaped is in education - we've been taught the wrong spellings ! In
cases, the "American" variants are correct ! This doesn't explain why they don't have a prezident !

* (are you ready for this) Nuttall's [Fred Warne & Co, now eaten by Collins] Standard Dictionary of
the English Language, 1926.

Wonderful illustrated book with words lexicographers can only dream about ;)

--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:24:01 -0000, Mark McN
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Reply to pmailkeey ) )> Could I interest you in a 48 channel 3-scene lighting desk ? ) )Nah,
:we've recently bought a Strand 520i (go-faster stripes, blue LEDs )and optional wheeltrim), so
:I'll pass ;-)

Is that the one with the software bug in it ? The one that suddenly changes the values the pointer
moves over as you twiddle the mouse/trackball ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

Reply to pmailkeey
> Is that the one with the software bug in it ? The one that suddenly changes the values the pointer
> moves over as you twiddle the mouse/trackball ?

[Moving ever so slightly OT - ] Not that we're (yet) aware of, but it has the latest release loaded,
so maybe that's fixed. The desk does behave oddly (though predictably oddly, IYSWIM) on occasion,
but I tend to blame operator error - me scr*wing up, in other words. ;-) There's still a great deal
to learn about it. The manual is no substitute for playing with it, of course, and I've learnt more
from various touring techies who know the desk backwards. All in all, a great advance on our
previous desk, which was so ancient it had a Woods valve. ;-)

While I'm on this thread, in my spares bag looking for a good home: 1 unopened Specialized 700x28/38
tube, Shrader, sold to me in error by a very-much-non-LBS. Postage only: email me removing CAPS.

--
Mark, UK (Prestas all round).
If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find
something in them to hang him. - Richelieu

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:47:45 GMT, [email protected]
(pmailkeey) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>:)I have at last count five different pumps which fit Presta valves. All open )the valve as the
>:pump head is applied. It is not immediately obvious )looking at the outside of them, but you can
>:tell simply by

>..the fact the tyres go flat accompanied by a psst!

OK, so you've never used Presta. That would explain why you are unable to understand the argument.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:14:46 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:) )OK, so you've never used Presta. )

I wish that was true.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:40 GMT, [email protected]
(pmailkeey) wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>:)OK, so you've never used Presta.

>I wish that was true.

From your desription it sounds more like you've been using Woods, not Presta.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:01:52 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:40 GMT, [email protected] )(pmailkeey) wrote in message
:<[email protected]>: ) )>:)OK, so you've never used Presta. ) )>I wish that was
:true. ) )From your desription it sounds more like you've been using Woods, not )Presta.

Woods so long ago, I don't remember problems with them. AFAIK it was ingoing air that opened
their valves ?
--
Comm again, Mike.