Problems found when Cycling...

Sam Dewsnap

Jan 15, 2013
Hey All,

Im recently new to this forum, and im looking to get back into the saddle, as a way of maintaining fitness whilst at University, and am finding this a good resource of useful infomation :)

Im currently undertaking a University project upon tackling the issues of cycling, whether it be to do with a bicycle layout design, or the actual journey undertaken within that Journey.

Im interested in all the types of cycling, and was wondering if you would be able to answer a few questions about the problems you face.

1. What is the bane of your experience with your bicycle? What is THE thing that you would like to see improved.

2. During your journey, whether that be for a social or commuting pleasure, are they're any problems that you face, that you would like to see resolved? Im thinking that road surface changes can be a big problem for daily commuters on fixed bicycles.

3. How do you store you bicycle when not in use? And how if you do, transport it? Are there problems during this, ie on a train or using a bicycle rack on a car?

4. How often do you keep a bicycle for before upgrading to a newer model, or carry out performance enhancing modifactions?

5. Safety - What are your concerns when riding? Im guessing rear impact and close passing cars are a big issue?

6. If you commute by bicycle, do you have problems with luggage? Im thinking that a backpack increases the centre of gravity of the bike, making it more unstable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thankyou for taking to the time to read this :)

Sam

1. What is the bane of your experience with your bicycle? What is THE thing that you would like to see improved.

A bit more speed would be nice, and I could do with some better lights. Maybe something to help keep my hands warm. A better carrying strap and a faster attachment for my panniers. More secure parking spots around the city.

2. During your journey, whether that be for a social or commuting pleasure, are they're any problems that you face, that you would like to see resolved? Im thinking that road surface changes can be a big problem for daily commuters on fixed bicycles.

Snow clearing - or lack thereof is frequently an issue. Sudden obstacles, like not posted road works. Amazingly poor bike lane layout. Certain spots with particular challenges, like recurring big puddles. Fixies are a small fraction of the bike riding population, it'd be poor use of resources to optimize things for their sake.

3. How do you store you bicycle when not in use? And how if you do, transport it? Are there problems during this, ie on a train or using a bicycle rack on a car?

Got a shared bike garage where I live, and parking under roof at work. The nice bike is in my personal storage space. Don't use car racks much. HItch mounts have worked fine. Roof mounts have the risk of running the bike into an overhang. Train transport of bikes is very limited here, but hasn't been a problem.

4. How often do you keep a bicycle for before upgrading to a newer model, or carry out performance enhancing modifactions?

Basically I ride them "forever". Upgrade/upkeep is a blurred line, as needs dictate. One bike might get new wheels, which eventually gets moved to another frame. Kinda hard to set a point where it became the new bike.

5. Safety - What are your concerns when riding? Im guessing rear impact and close passing cars are a big issue?

Not really. I have no qualms about using Hi-Viz clothing and decent lights. For motorised vehicles the concern is road rage, angry drivers who'll deliberately try to intimidate or even hurt me. But the most frequent concern is pedestrians and other cyclists acting unpredictably.

6. If you commute by bicycle, do you have problems with luggage? Im thinking that a backpack increases the centre of gravity of the bike, making it more unstable.

That question really shows how little you've ridden.
It's simple math, the average daypack for work/school is maybe 5-10%(tops) of your body weight, and not much of a problem WRT balance. For balance to be an issue you need a heavy and a wobbly pack, and an energetic(out of the saddle) riding style.
However, even lighter packs will have their downside. The first is that you tend to get all sweaty on your back, the second (depending on pack setup, pack weight, bike setup and experience) is that they can/will increase the load on your hands, arms, shoulders and neck, which can cause everything from manageable discomfort to numbness.

For utility purposes, racks and panniers are great.

oldbobcat said:
Rim strips that stop sticking to the rim in hot weather.  
Then you need Velox, the one true rim tape. I never had an issue with Velox coming unstuck during hot Tucson summers.