Problems With Foam Bar-Grips

charlie

Guest
I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.

Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?

Thanks in advance,

John

charlie wrote:
> I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
> an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
> inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
> this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
> covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.
>
> Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?

For getting recalcitrant grips *off* I usually shove the pipette from a
WD40 can between the grip and bars and spray. This might not be good
with foam grips though, cuz they'd be hard to un-lube again afterwards.
Perhaps water>

Also remember, foam grips are only legal if (a) your S.O. has an
identical bike, (b) your seat is at least 6" lower than your handlebars
and (c) you are German. (StVvO §93 abst 12c)

charlie wrote:
> I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
> an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
> inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
> this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
> covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.
>
> Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John

Inject some water or meths between foam and bar. Or plug the bar and
stick a gardenhose *) in the foamtube. You'll get wet, but that probably
isn't a bad thing ;)

*) an aircompressor will work too
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

In article <[email protected]>
charlie <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
> an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
> inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
> this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
> covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.
>
> Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?

I used to attach a track pump to the other end of the bar and blow -
that pushes the grip away from the bar and it glides off on a cushion of
air :)

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> charlie <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
> > an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
> > inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
> > this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
> > covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.
> >
> > Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?
> >

> I used to attach a track pump to the other end of the bar and blow -
> that pushes the grip away from the bar and it glides off on a cushion of
> air :)

Doesn't work when you have chopped the end off to fit bar ends..

...d

In article <[email protected]>
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Rob Morley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > charlie <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I've been trying to fit new foam grips to my butterfly bars. I remembered
> > > an old tip from EBC which has worked previously: "scoosh" some hairspray
> > > inside the grips before manipulating them into place. Unfortunately, on
> > > this occasion, probably because of the heat, the first one got stuck before
> > > covering enough of the bar. The second one remains to be fitted.
> > >
> > > Has anyone got any advice as to how to get the first grip malleable again?
> > >

> > I used to attach a track pump to the other end of the bar and blow -
> > that pushes the grip away from the bar and it glides off on a cushion of
> > air :)

> Doesn't work when you have chopped the end off to fit bar ends..

Ram a long thin screwdriver up the side and squirt in a bit of WD40.

> Ram a long thin screwdriver up the side and squirt in a bit of WD40.

The wd40 evaporates after a while and the grip stops sliding about
TerryJ

[email protected] wrote:

> > Ram a long thin screwdriver up the side and squirt in a bit of WD40.

> The wd40 evaporates after a while and the grip stops sliding about
> TerryJ

Ram a screwdriver up and use more hairspray - the same method I use for
getting grips off!

squeaker wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > > >
> > > Ram a long thin screwdriver up the side and squirt in a bit of WD40.

> > The wd40 evaporates after a while and the grip stops sliding about
> > TerryJ

> Ram a screwdriver up and use more hairspray - the same method I use for
> getting grips off!

Being somewhat careful, I only remove my grips when they need replacing
so typically just slice them off with a craft knife..

...d

In article <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > Ram a long thin screwdriver up the side and squirt in a bit of WD40.

> The wd40 evaporates after a while and the grip stops sliding about

Are you sure? I wouldn't want my grips sliding around at all, so I've
always washed them out with detergent before refitting.