problems with gator bars

Chris Armstrong

New Member
Feb 21, 2005
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had come across a similar problem to mine with a gator bar. i am a techno numpty so it could all be down to me but i don't think so.
I bought a gator bar last year and used on my 5 year olds small bike for a holiday in Holland and it worked very well and I considered it amongst one of the best buys i had made. I bought my son a larger bike this year (18"? - which the bumph on the gator box said it would fit) However when I tried to set it up, the collar that goes around the front fork just wasn't big enough. i got this sorted for the price of a tenner by having a frame builder make a larger collar, but then when i went to set it up, no matter how i shim the fitting on his bike and adjust the fitting on my seat post - it is now at its highest setting, the front wheel of my son's bike is only raised a matter of millimetres off the floor rendering it a bit useless. has anyone come across this and got a workaround?
I saw the thread about Lidl stuff and saw a bar there, and am thinking of going for that if I can't get a solution to the gator, i was wondering if anyone had any experience of those.
Any advice appreciated.
Chris

I've got both a genuine Trail-Gator and a Lidl special for my kids.
The Gator is way better built, easier to fit and use and lighter than the
Lidl, but the Lidl one does the job.
The Lidl has an adjustment knob which changes the angle of a bend in the
middle, which has the effect of raising or lowering the child's wheel, so it
may well solve your problem.

POHB wrote:
> I've got both a genuine Trail-Gator and a Lidl special for my kids.

Do you know of the lidl one would fit a 14" kids bike?

tia
james

> Do you know of the lidl one would fit a 14" kids bike?

I'll try to remember to have a look at the weekend