Psychle Farcility of the month

[email protected] wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:
>> A different slant to the usual this month.
>>
>> http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co.uk/WarringtonCycleCampaign/facility-of-the-month/
>>
>> Perhaps it's for compact folders only...
>>
>> Cheers, helen s

> Our local Waitrose is even worse - I must take some pics of it next
> time I walk there.

Or Tesco at Bury St Edmunds*.
I was there on the way to Mildenhall (Tesco cash dispenser) and noticed a
sign saying "bicycle parking" on a tall mast at the RH end of the store
front. I looked around and could not see a bicycle stand or anything to lock
a bike against, just a brick wall, the gates to "round the back deliveries"
and the glass front of the building. I could, of course, be wrong about
this store, so if locals with more knowledge could correct me...

* picture of bike stand below:
[ end of picture of nothing ]

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

naked_draughtsman wrote on 01/09/2006 19:01 +0100:
> wafflycat wrote:
>> A different slant to the usual this month.
>>
>> http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co.uk/WarringtonCycleCampaign/facility-of-the-month/
>>

> I think the Facility of the Month pages should be made into a book
> and sold at highly inflated price through HMSO to designers as
> examples of how not to design cycle lanes :eek:)
>
> peter

Perhaps a calendar to send to the designers every year?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> Perhaps a calendar to send to the designers every year?

Excellent idea!

If every Local Authority received one, a few might eventally get the
message...

.... PorkAir 747 is ready for take-off.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
>

> > Perhaps a calendar to send to the designers every year?

> Excellent idea!
>
> If every Local Authority received one, a few might eventally get

the
> message...
>

> ... PorkAir 747 is ready for take-off.
>
> --
> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
> Edgware.

It was Helen who submitted one winning facility-of-the-month, located
here in North London. It's on a route that's in the process of
becoming part of the London Cycle Network (LCN). In fact not just
the LCN but the LCN+

[The LCN+ came about because the LCN had to be "rebranded" because of
its poor reputation, and was renamed the LCN+. The LCN+ is now to be
considerably shorter than the old LCN, which I suppose is something]

I found myself involved in meetings, site surveys etc. for the LCN+
route, and told the borough cycling officer of the honour his path
had received. The cycling officer had never heard of the "cycling
facility of the month" site, and, when I explained, showed no
interest whatsoever. He wasn't embarrassed. He wasn't outraged.
He wasn't ashamed. He didn't even laugh.

Actually, when we did the site survey, the offending obstruction, a
phone booth filling the bike path, had vanished. Round here phone
booths on bike paths seem to come and go, like Tardises. There was
one in Cockfosters that did the same thing.

I don't know when Helen's phone booth came or went. The cycling
officer had no information on the subject.

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote:
| Actually, when we did the site survey, the offending obstruction, a
| phone booth filling the bike path, had vanished. Round here phone
| booths on bike paths seem to come and go, like Tardises. There was
| one in Cockfosters that did the same thing.

Isn't the FOM phone booth one of the (arguably) unfair photos
of a route in construction, where the booth had predated (no
pun intended) the construction of the route and was taking a
while to be removed?

"Geraint Jones"
<[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> "Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote:
> | Actually, when we did the site survey, the offending

obstruction, a
> | phone booth filling the bike path, had vanished. Round here

phone
> | booths on bike paths seem to come and go, like Tardises. There

was
> | one in Cockfosters that did the same thing.
>
> Isn't the FOM phone booth one of the (arguably) unfair photos
> of a route in construction, where the booth had predated (no
> pun intended) the construction of the route and was taking a
> while to be removed?

Harrow, where the FOM is/was, isn't really my patch, so I don't know
for certain. I live in Barnet, the next door borough, and only got
roped in because all the people in the Harrow branch of the London
Cycling Campaign have day jobs, whereas I'm retired. It's easier
for me to go to meetings and site visits and stuff. Aren't I lucky.

My impression was that the path got there first, but that's only from
looking at the FOM photo and the same location in reality, minus its
phone booth. The cycling officer didn't know.

In defence of the cycling officer, he had just returned to work after
a long while off pretty seriously ill - courses of chemotherapy and
such. His mind might have been on other things while away.

Jeremy Parker