Pump or CO2 ?

BikeyGuy

Sep 27, 2003
I've used CO2 cartridges for the past 17 years. To me, (IMO) they seem to be the only way to go. They fit into a saddle pack and keep the bike clean from a pump. For those of you that use bring a pump when riding, what are the advantages over CO2 ?

BikeyGuy said:
I've used CO2 cartridges for the past 17 years. To me, (IMO) they seem to be the only way to go. They fit into a saddle pack and keep the bike clean from a pump. For those of you that use bring a pump when riding, what are the advantages over CO2 ?

Well, for one thing I notice CO2 pumps tend only to bring a tire to 95 psi or so, at least on one of the smaller cartridges. For me, that is usually fine as I am simply using that to get back to the car or home and then I use the foot pump. About the only other thing that has come up for me is the desire to help another rider out who, for whatever reason, had no infalatable support on them. I've been carrying two cartridges on most rides so often have that covered too.

I used to carry a frame pump years back, but far prefer CO2 now, pretty much for the reasons listed. There's times I dont even carry a saddle pack, but the pump and a tube fits fine enough in a jersey pocket.

I do CO2 simply because I hate carrying a pump. I but the CO2 cartridges in bulk at Wal-Mart (they're REALLY cheap that way) and I carry a few of them in my seat bag. Usually 2 of them will get me close to proper inflation, and I don't have to waste carbs on pumping. :p

I carry the CO2 because I can just drop in the seat pack and forget it. That and I'm a lazy *******; blowing up either a Mtn bike tire (huge volume) or a road bike tire (hi pressure) is a lot of work, screw that. :cool:

I carry a pump mounted to the frame. With a pump, a spare tube and a patch kit you can fix as many flats as you'll ever get. Plus a pump is more environmentally friendly as you don't have spent cartridges to throw away. A mini-pump mounted under the water bottle cage doesn't clutter-up the bike too much.

CO2
I also buy the canisters bulk at walmart (hmm, 24 for 8 bucks at wally world or 1 for $1.19 at the bike shop) and I carry 4 in my saddle bag

we don't have walmart, so the bike shop charges an arm and a leg for co2.... for now the mini pump will do (finances not looking too bright). very lightweight too and does the job ... not that i am a weight weenie..... :rolleyes:

I use a floor pump and check pressure before almost every ride, keep it at 110-120, keep my tubes/tires debris-free, and make sure to patch any puntures really well. I think being a bit anal about these things results in very few flats. (I raarrreely get flats on my road bike...mtb another story.)

So, CO2 costs very little, because I never use it. I don't ride it much these days, but the mtb normally carries a hand pump.

i don't have a lot of money so i can only have one pump. therefore it has to be fit on the frame and also do PSI-readouts. it's kind of bulky, but it'll have to do. i'll definitely be prepared for flats.

nonewdirections said:
i don't have a lot of money so i can only have one pump. therefore it has to be fit on the frame and also do PSI-readouts. it's kind of bulky, but it'll have to do. i'll definitely be prepared for flats.
At home, its a compressor/inflator. On the road I generally carry both (cept the track, CO2 only in the stealth bottle). I find it best to partially inflate with the pump to check the repair/replacement and then top off with CO2.

It's not so much the pumping that gets to me, it's the time involved, especially when commuting and or on an evening ride.

dobber said:
At home, its a compressor/inflator. On the road I generally carry both (cept the track, CO2 only in the stealth bottle). I find it best to partially inflate with the pump to check the repair/replacement and then top off with CO2.

It's not so much the pumping that gets to me, it's the time involved, especially when commuting and or on an evening ride.
For a bike-mount, C02 is the only way to go. I didn't even know they still made regular bike-mount pumps. Problem with C02, I've found, is that the tires don't hold the air for more than about a day before they need to be re-filled cuz the tire pressure gets too low. I assumed it was because the c02 molecules were smaller, so seepage occurred more quickly. Anyone else notice this?? Anyway, floor pump at home, c02 for emergencies.

WINGNUTT said:
For a bike-mount, C02 is the only way to go. I didn't even know they still made regular bike-mount pumps. Problem with C02, I've found, is that the tires don't hold the air for more than about a day before they need to be re-filled cuz the tire pressure gets too low. I assumed it was because the c02 molecules were smaller, so seepage occurred more quickly. Anyone else notice this?? Anyway, floor pump at home, c02 for emergencies.
Those who use CO2 are lazy bastards. Try adding some upper body exercise to your rides! Also, you buy one pump and you don't have to buy another one. One more reason to stay away from the place where all your money goes, the bike shop.

tafi said:
Those who use CO2 are lazy bastards. Try adding some upper body exercise to your rides! Also, you buy one pump and you don't have to buy another one. One more reason to stay away from the place where all your money goes, the bike shop.
What are you talking about?? Upper body exercise? C02 isn't so you don't have to physically pump your tire up, it's so you don't have to strap a big klunky pump to your frame. It has nothing to do with laziness - you only use the pump once in a great while. As far as money goes, at around $2 per cartridge, I don't think it's really any more expensive than a normal pump unless you pop tires all the time for whatever reason.

WINGNUTT said:
What are you talking about?? Upper body exercise? C02 isn't so you don't have to physically pump your tire up, it's so you don't have to strap a big klunky pump to your frame. It has nothing to do with laziness - you only use the pump once in a great while. As far as money goes, at around $2 per cartridge, I don't think it's really any more expensive than a normal pump unless you pop tires all the time for whatever reason.
Co2 on the go and pump at home..
but co2 tends to only last in the tires for a few weeks...

tafi said:
You call it lazy, I call it the most efficent way to get back to my ride. :D

Most of the time I check my tires with a floor pump before riding, and I carry both a mini pump (Topeak Road Morph - great pump) and C02. I also carry a spare tube & a patch kit (Park self adhesive).

I had been carrying CO2 for a while, but had problems sometimes getting the tire to initially inflate. I thought it would be great if you could partially pump the tire first, then use CO2. After looking at the latest stuff on the internet I found a hand pump CO2 combo. Its not a great pump as it will only put about 80 lbs in a road tire, but its great to get things started, get the tire seated properly and then blast it with a CO2 cartridge. Its only marginally longer than a standard CO2 injector and fits easily in a small under seat bag.

I buy my cartriges at Academy. Any sporting goods shop that carries are pistols / rifles or paint ball guns will have the cartridges at very cheap prices.

davidbod said:
I had been carrying CO2 for a while, but had problems sometimes getting the tire to initially inflate. I thought it would be great if you could partially pump the tire first, then use CO2. After looking at the latest stuff on the internet I found a hand pump CO2 combo. Its not a great pump as it will only put about 80 lbs in a road tire, but its great to get things started, get the tire seated properly and then blast it with a CO2 cartridge. Its only marginally longer than a standard CO2 injector and fits easily in a small under seat bag.

I buy my cartriges at Academy. Any sporting goods shop that carries are pistols / rifles or paint ball guns will have the cartridges at very cheap prices.
Why don't you just partially inflate the tube by blowing in it with your mouth? This works to get a little air in there so you can get the tire on the rim.

CO2 4 sure - frame pumps blow! (pun intended!)

What's the deal with leaving the air in the tube from a CO2 inflate?? I've heard that it's not good for the rubber.

It's no big deal to let the air out when you get back and re-inflate with a foot pump. I always do after using a cart because I don't wanna worry about it later.

I have a floor pump at home & CO2 for my bike. So far I haven't had a flat on a ride. :D That'll change, I know, but I'm happy for now.