Pumping up tire on disc - how much pressure?

Jens Kurt Heyck

Guest
I've been using one of those little L-shaped attachments on my floor pump to pump up the tire on my
disc. I get it up to where the pump reads 60lbs and it becomes nearly impossible to pump anymore.
The tire at that point feels very solid -- I would guess a lot more than 60lbs. Yet, my (poor)
understanding of how the pressure gauge works suggests that it's unlikely for it to read to low (too
high, maybe). What's up with this?

The pump is a topeak joe blow, btw and seems to have reliable pressure readings when used without
the attachment.

Also anyone know of a floor pump that has a nozzle that fits into the valve hole on a disc?

thanks in advance

--Jens

Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:
> I've been using one of those little L-shaped attachments on my floor pump to pump up the tire on
> my disc. I get it up to where the pump reads 60lbs and it becomes nearly impossible to pump
-snip-
> Also anyone know of a floor pump that has a nozzle that fits into the valve hole on a disc?

Do you have this one? It works well. http://www.yellowjersey.org/DISCHEAD.JPG

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:
> > I've been using one of those little L-shaped attachments on my floor pump to pump up the tire on
> > my disc. I get it up to where the pump reads 60lbs and it becomes nearly impossible to pump
> -snip-
> > Also anyone know of a floor pump that has a nozzle that fits into the valve hole on a disc?
>
> Do you have this one? It works well. http://www.yellowjersey.org/DISCHEAD.JPG
>
> --

Thanks. Mine looks exactly like that. It could be that it is working but the pump gauge isn't
reflecting the true pressure. I would love to get a pump that has an integrated nozzle that just
fits. Then there would be no doubt about the pressure.

-- Jens

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<sZI%[email protected]>...

> Thanks. Mine looks exactly like that. It could be that it is working but the pump gauge isn't
> reflecting the true pressure. I would love to get a pump that has an integrated nozzle that just
> fits. Then there would be no doubt about the pressure.
>
> -- Jens
Can you pump a non disc tire past 60? If you can one possibility is the rubber washer inside the
adapter is worn out. If not, get a friend to help you by holding the pumphead adapter onto the tube
valve. Inflating a disc to full pressure is a pain when you have a good pump with one person. If
nothing else, your frame pump probably can get higher than 60.

"WooGoogle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<sZI%[email protected]>...

> > Thanks. Mine looks exactly like that. It could be that it is working
but
> > the pump gauge isn't reflecting the true pressure. I would love to get a pump
that
> > has an integrated nozzle that just fits. Then there would be no doubt about the pressure.
> >
> > -- Jens
> Can you pump a non disc tire past 60? If you can one possibility is the rubber washer inside the
> adapter is worn out. If not, get a friend to help you by holding the pumphead adapter onto the
> tube valve. Inflating a disc to full pressure is a pain when you have a good pump with one person.
> If nothing else, your frame pump probably can get higher than 60.

Yup. Non-disc tires easily go to 140psi. The adapter is practically brand new. I'll probably go with
a real big frame pump.

thanks, Jens

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "WooGoogle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<sZI%[email protected]>...
> >

> > > Thanks. Mine looks exactly like that. It could be that it is working
> but
> > > the pump gauge isn't reflecting the true pressure. I would love to get a pump
> that
> > > has an integrated nozzle that just fits. Then there would be no doubt about the pressure.
> > >
> > > -- Jens
> > Can you pump a non disc tire past 60? If you can one possibility is the rubber washer inside the
> > adapter is worn out. If not, get a friend to help you by holding the pumphead adapter onto the
> > tube valve. Inflating a disc to full pressure is a pain when you have a good pump with one
> > person. If nothing else, your frame pump probably can get higher than 60.
>

> Yup. Non-disc tires easily go to 140psi. The adapter is practically brand new. I'll probably go
> with a real big frame pump.
>

> thanks, Jens

Just get a friend or neighbor to help you inflate it. Have one person hold the adapter onto the
valve, and the other person pump it up. Otherwise by yourself, hold the adapter onto the valve and
use one arm to pump it up with the floor pump - I can get 110 or so by myself but heavier folks need
more pressure.