Q-factor for FSA/Isis vs. Record

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Riley, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Jim Riley

    Jim Riley Guest

    Hi, I'd appreciate it if anyone has an answer to this. I'm thinking
    about switching from a Campy Record double crankset and BB (circa
    2000) to a compact FSA double crankset with an Isis BB, and would like
    to know how the Q-factors of those two setups compare.

    The reason I'm concerned is that I tend to turn my heels in, and
    already have Speedplays with extra-long spindles to make sure my heels
    clear the chainstays. If the FSA/Isis combo is narrower, I might have
    to also change my pedals to a set with longer spindles and/or less
    float. (Or I could learn to pedal with my feet straight, but that
    would be quite a breakthrough.)

    Thanks in advance for any data you can provide on this.

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. Emily

    Emily Guest

    "Jim Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I'd appreciate it if anyone has an answer to this. I'm thinking
    > about switching from a Campy Record double crankset and BB (circa
    > 2000) to a compact FSA double crankset with an Isis BB, and would like
    > to know how the Q-factors of those two setups compare.
    >
    > The reason I'm concerned is that I tend to turn my heels in, and
    > already have Speedplays with extra-long spindles to make sure my heels
    > clear the chainstays. If the FSA/Isis combo is narrower, I might have
    > to also change my pedals to a set with longer spindles and/or less
    > float. (Or I could learn to pedal with my feet straight, but that
    > would be quite a breakthrough.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any data you can provide on this.

    Hi Jim,

    Don't know the difference in Q-factor, but my husband also toes out and uses
    Speedplay plus
    "knee savers" pedal extenders with great success:

    http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm

    He has attempted to force his feet straighter by using pedals with less
    float and ended up with knee problems so switched back to the Speedplays +
    Knee-Savers. No more knee pain.

    By the way, I have an FSA compact Pro 34/50 and ISIS BB on my Aegis Swift
    and am very happy with it. My knees thank me on the hills!

    Good luck,
    Emily

  3. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Jim Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi, I'd appreciate it if anyone has an answer to this. I'm thinking
    > about switching from a Campy Record double crankset and BB (circa
    > 2000) to a compact FSA double crankset with an Isis BB, and would like
    > to know how the Q-factors of those two setups compare.
    >
    > The reason I'm concerned is that I tend to turn my heels in, and
    > already have Speedplays with extra-long spindles to make sure my heels
    > clear the chainstays. If the FSA/Isis combo is narrower, I might have
    > to also change my pedals to a set with longer spindles and/or less
    > float. (Or I could learn to pedal with my feet straight, but that
    > would be quite a breakthrough.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any data you can provide on this.
    >
    > Jim

    Jim,

    I made the same switch. I don't know precisely what the q factor is, but
    one thing to note is that the FSA cranks are more curved than the Campy ones
    and give a lot more heel clearance anyway. If you are interested in buying
    a used FSA setup, email me privately. I am going to get rid of my FSA's and
    get the Campy ones (I am a total Campy wacker, but love the compact setup
    ;>)

    Cat

  4. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Jim Riley wrote in message ...
    >Hi, I'd appreciate it if anyone has an answer to this. I'm thinking
    >about switching from a Campy Record double crankset and BB (circa
    >2000) to a compact FSA double crankset with an Isis BB, and would like
    >to know how the Q-factors of those two setups compare.
    >
    >The reason I'm concerned is that I tend to turn my heels in, and
    >already have Speedplays with extra-long spindles to make sure my heels
    >clear the chainstays. If the FSA/Isis combo is narrower, I might have
    >to also change my pedals to a set with longer spindles and/or less
    >float. (Or I could learn to pedal with my feet straight, but that
    >would be quite a breakthrough.)
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any data you can provide on this.

    Sometimes a greater leg extension will bring the toes in/heels out.
    Lifting the main pad of the foot by altering the shoe/cleat may also benefit
    as will pedalling in circles rather than just pushing pedals.

    Trevor