Question about a new road bike?

TheLostApple

Jul 26, 2005
I currently ride a very low end mountain bike. I feel it is time for me to get back on a road bike. The last road bike was an old schwinn (1980's). I figure I will spend about a $1000 for a decent entry level one. I want to get one that will last me quite some time. I have been looking strongly at Trek's and the 1200 seems nice. I recently found out about bikesdirect.com and the Windsor line. I know they aren't well known but for $1000 they have what looks to be a decent bike with Ultegra shifters & derailluers. In order to get those kind of parts on a Trek we are talking about 1500 to 2k if I'm lucky. Would this be a decent bike for a long time. I am not worried about having the latest and greatest all the time. I like the front triple crank since I live in a semi hilly area. My next question is that if later I did want a better frame could I just transplant those parts to another frame. Any help, ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a Moto from bikesdirect and I've been pretty happy with it. I was happy to get practically full ultegra at $1100 so I know the boat you're in. Most of the parts should be full transportable between frames. The biggest problem ordering online is that you can't try the bikes. So if you're very confident in the frame size you need, then buying online can be a great bargain; but if you really don't know what frame size you are, then maybe do some research on the frame sizes and which ones would fit you best.

badkarma said:
I bought a Moto from bikesdirect and I've been pretty happy with it. I was happy to get practically full ultegra at $1100 so I know the boat you're in. Most of the parts should be full transportable between frames. The biggest problem ordering online is that you can't try the bikes. So if you're very confident in the frame size you need, then buying online can be a great bargain; but if you really don't know what frame size you are, then maybe do some research on the frame sizes and which ones would fit you best.

karma is right, online/mail order bike buying is for people who know exactly what they want/need and do not need the support that a local shop provides.

Yes, stay away from mail order as the risk of not liking the fit is too great. Demo ride three of four bikes that are in your price range and then re-ride the 2 that felt the best. Geometry is a big deal as it determines how the bike will feel to you and these days there's lots of new choices with the 'comfort' line of road bikes.
Don't get too caught up with components at this stage. It's how well the bike fits that will determine if your road riding comeback will be a success or failure. You could have dura-ace sitting in the garage but if your you're not interested in being on the bike, then what good is it to you.
About switching components, I just don't hear about that kind of thing going on for the majority of cyclists. When you're ready for a better bike, you'll be ready for new components as well as a new frame. Then, sell your old bike (eBay). BTW resale value / name recognition becomes a factor when you're ready to get a new bike and that's one of the reasons why I ride a Trek.