Question about clipping out

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
Where in your pedal motion do you clip out? at the top or the bottom of the stroke? it seems a lot easier to clip out at the bottom of the stroke.

That's a silly question :confused: !
I always unclip at the bottom!! of course it's easier !!
your leg is straight at the time...

jwroubaix said:
Where in your pedal motion do you clip out? at the top or the bottom of the stroke? it seems a lot easier to clip out at the bottom of the stroke.
Well as you mentioned it is best to clipout on the bottom, but IT IS NECESSARY to practice other positions for emergency cituations

I clip out at the top. That leaves the other leg ready to take all your weight as you slide forward off the saddle to put the unclipped foot down.

Yeah I do as well. The unclipping foot can then do its stuff between my drink bottles. I clip inwards with my right foot now as I used to unclip outwards with my left foot but I got the makings of a repetition injury from doing it so often so I changed feet and have had no more problems. :)

artemidorus said:
I clip out at the top. That leaves the other leg ready to take all your weight as you slide forward off the saddle to put the unclipped foot down.

jwroubaix said:
Bottom of the stroke at 6 o'clock position.

artemidorus said:

Same here.

topper as well. How are you guys bracing your weight with the foot unclipped at the bottom of the stroke? Are you seated, unclip, then rotate the cranks 180 degrees, stand up, and put your foot down?

I usually stand up before coming to a stop, unclip at the top of the stroke, and step down to the ground as I stop.

How many of you had to go for a short ride before you could answer this question? Releasing from the pedals becomes so automatic that you really don't remember how you do it until you pay particular attention to how you do it:D.

Where ever I need to as dictated by the situation in hand. Sometimes, if need be, I'll even do something crazo like unclip with the foot that normally stays clipped in. I don't keep a log of where my foot is in the pedal stroke when I unclip each time.

If you unclip at the top of your stroke you can twist your foot the other way without jamming your heel into the rear wheel.

oldbobcat said:
If you unclip at the top of your stroke you can twist your foot the other way without jamming your heel into the rear wheel.
To unclip, don't you twist your heel outwards? How will that ever result in jamming the heel into the rear wheel???

oldbobcat said:
It's never occurred to me to clip out by turning my heel in! It seems quite weird even to think of doing it that way. But whatever works, goes...

TheDarkLord said:
To unclip, don't you twist your heel outwards? How will that ever result in jamming the heel into the rear wheel???
If your heel goes in at the bottom of your stroke, it'll go into the rear wheel. I usually turn my toes out a the top of my stroke because I get crisper disengagement and it's easier on my knees when they're bent.

There are no rules.

Aussie Steve said:
That's a silly question :confused: !
I always unclip at the bottom!! of course it's easier !!
your leg is straight at the time...
Well Stevo, going by the posts in this thread maybe it's not as silly a question as you thought:)

I had to stop & think for a minute :confused: Generally it's right foot at the top heel out. I agree that practising all positions :D for emergencies is a good idea.

Edit Bugger I think I may clip out right foot at 9 o'clock :confused:
Hang on I'll get back to you shortly :D

if you clip towards the frame, at the top of the stroke, it probably evens out the wear on the cleat- otherwise one side gets all the wear I suppose? does that make sense ? (people who know me will say I never make sense:mad: )

Aussie Steve said:
if you clip towards the frame, at the top of the stroke, it probably evens out the wear on the cleat- otherwise one side gets all the wear I suppose? does that make sense ? (people who know me will say I never make sense:mad: )
Possibly. I like 'em tight, and I might be getting more wear than most people. And, of course, it's easier on the knees, in either direction, with the knee bent. I remember that from skiing.

kdelong said:
How many of you had to go for a short ride before you could answer this question? Releasing from the pedals becomes so automatic that you really don't remember how you do it until you pay particular attention to how you do it.
I teach adult riders in a progressive training series sponsored by my cycling club; you'd be surprised what sort of seemingly intuitive behaviors I've had to cognate & verbalize!

It became apparent that the "skill" (sic) of how and where to clip out may need to be taught when a woman who showed up for one ride last season would clip out both legs simultaneously, then wait for the bike to roll to a complete stop and fall to whichever side gravity chose at that moment!