Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Question about Ultegra triple crankset

Started by Neal · · Last activity · 9 posts · 425 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
Neal
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
425
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has 30-42-52
    chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone make a 39
    chainring for this crankset? I think I have read that the new Ultegra will have
    this combination but it is not available yet.

    Neal

  2. "Neal" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has
    30-42-52 chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone
    make a 39 chainring for this crankset?

    T.A. makes Alize chainrings in 39 (or 38) tooth with triple shift ramps.
    They are available from www.peterwhite.com ($44) and www.sheldonbrown.com
    ($36)

  3. Neal said:

    I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has 30-42-52
    chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone make a 39
    chainring for this crankset? I think I have read that the new Ultegra will have
    this combination but it is not available yet.

    I made such a ring. The job was a total PIA.
    AFAIK you can't buy a ramped 39 now.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/5049PTXT.JPG

    That bike was recently here and running well at about 5,000
    miles on its way to Ride the Rockies again.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  4. I replaced my 42T chainring with a 39T double chainring. I did have to replace
    the front derailleur with the Dura-Ace triple derailleur. Also, I do have to
    use the trim on the shifters when using the middle chainring other wise, the
    chain rubs against the inner part of the derailleur cage. I don't notice any
    shifting degredation. I do not have any problem shifting from the 30 to the 39
    and from the 39 to the 52. No problem the other way around as well.

    Claude

  5. Quoted message said:

    "Neal" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has
    30-42-52 chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone
    make a 39 chainring for this crankset?

    Ken said:

    T.A. makes Alize chainrings in 39 (or 38) tooth with triple shift ramps.
    They are available from www.peterwhite.com ($44) and www.sheldonbrown.com
    ($36)

    Thank you!
    My supplier only has that ring in flat, not ramped.
    Good to know that.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Neal said:

    I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has
    30-42-52 chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone make a
    39 chainring for this crankset? I think I have read that the new Ultegra
    will have this combination but it is not available yet.

    I made such a ring. The job was a total PIA.
    AFAIK you can't buy a ramped 39 now.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/5049PTXT.JPG

    That bike was recently here and running well at about 5,000 miles on its way
    to Ride the Rockies again.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    From what I have learned from the Peterwhitecycles site, the maximum
    middle/outer chainring difference the Ultegra front derailleur will handle is 10
    teeth. I would have to upgrade to the Dura Ace derailleur. What about the
    Campy Centaur. Will that handle a larger than 10 tooth difference. I notice
    that Campy has a 40 available for the middle ring. I would by the entire qroup.

    Neal

  7. "Neal" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Neal said:

    I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has
    30-42-52 chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone


    make a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    39 chainring for this crankset? I think I have read that the new


    Ultegra

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will have this combination but it is not available yet.

    I made such a ring. The job was a total PIA.
    AFAIK you can't buy a ramped 39 now.

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/5049PTXT.JPG

    That bike was recently here and running well at about 5,000 miles on its


    way

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to Ride the Rockies again.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    From what I have learned from the Peterwhitecycles site, the maximum
    middle/outer chainring difference the Ultegra front derailleur will handle


    is 10

    Quoted message said:

    teeth. I would have to upgrade to the Dura Ace derailleur. What about


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Campy Centaur. Will that handle a larger than 10 tooth difference. I


    notice

    Quoted message said:

    that Campy has a 40 available for the middle ring. I would by the entire


    qroup.

    I'm currently running 50-38-24 TA rings (see other post for a different
    issue), and it shifts very well with an Ultegra derailer.

    Kyle

  8. neal-<< I am considering replacing my crankset with a Ultegra triple which has
    30-42-52
    chainrings. I would prefer 30-39-52 chainrings. Does anyone make a 39
    chainring for this crankset? >><BR><BR>

    TA, a French company, does, about $35. You may need a DA front der tho, may,
    depends on how well the 6500 shifts the 30-39....

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  9. Kyle.B.H said:

    "Neal" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From what I have learned from the Peterwhitecycles site, the maximum
    middle/outer chainring difference the Ultegra front derailleur will
    handle is 10 teeth. I would have to upgrade to the Dura Ace
    derailleur. What about the Campy Centaur. Will that handle a
    larger than 10 tooth difference. I notice that Campy has a 40
    available for the middle ring. I would by the entire qroup.

    I'm currently running 50-38-24 TA rings (see other post for a
    different issue), and it shifts very well with an Ultegra derailer.

    And I'm running a 53-39-30 DA crankset with Ultegra front derailleur; no
    problems at all.

    Bill "probably lucked out a bit (since *I* installed it)" S.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.