Question concerning rear cassettes

Jaliveto

Aug 25, 2004
First post here. The forums are very informative. I run a 12-25 rear cassette(shimano ultegra). Live in Maryland and have lots of rolling hills and even some small mountains. Friend of mine runs a 13-29(campy record). I am a fairly strong rider but think the 13-29 would be better. But Shimano doesn't make them. I checked the Sheldon Brown website also. Any suggestions? Can Sheldon build one? Can I use a campy?

Jaliveto said:
First post here. The forums are very informative. I run a 12-25 rear cassette(shimano ultegra). Live in Maryland and have lots of rolling hills and even some small mountains. Friend of mine runs a 13-29(campy record). I am a fairly strong rider but think the 13-29 would be better. But Shimano doesn't make them. I checked the Sheldon Brown website also. Any suggestions? Can Sheldon build one? Can I use a campy?

Shimano makes a 13-28 and Harris has a 13-30, so you're pretty close without substantial customizing-you could get one and replace the big sprocket with a 29T.

Harris also will custom build a cassette for you.

meb said:
Shimano makes a 13-28 and Harris has a 13-30, so you're pretty close without substantial customizing-you could get one and replace the big sprocket with a 29T.
Not in 9 speed.

boudreaux said:
Not in 9 speed.

Harris’ CS91330 Century Special is a pricey 9 speed 13-30 which is “pretty close” to the OP’s 13-29 preference.

meb said:
Harris’ CS91330 Century Special is a pricey 9 speed 13-30 which is “pretty close” to the OP’s 13-29 preference.
I think the Ultegra RDs (6500) are only designed for a 27T cog max so I don't know if you can slip by with a 29T without switching out the RD as well. (assuming that your current one is Ultegra).

meb said:
yeah and it is a CUSTOM casette,not a shimano product.

serenaslu said:
I think the Ultegra RDs (6500) are only designed for a 27T cog max so I don't know if you can slip by with a 29T without switching out the RD as well. (assuming that your current one is Ultegra).
Yes you can

I do have an ultegra RD. So there is a shimano 13-28 and Sheldon Brown has a custom 13-30. The 13-28 probably will do fine. Just need an extra gear or two. If I buy either, do I have to change anything? Or just swap the cassette? And can I go to a 10 speed on the rear? Any advantage/disadvantage?

Jaliveto said:
I do have an ultegra RD. So there is a shimano 13-28 and Sheldon Brown has a custom 13-30. The 13-28 probably will do fine. Just need an extra gear or two. If I buy either, do I have to change anything? Or just swap the cassette? And can I go to a 10 speed on the rear? Any advantage/disadvantage?
There is NO shimano 13x28 9 speed......10 speed shimano on the rear means a new casette,chain and shifters,and It still does not get you a 29. You need campy for that. A compact crank with 50/34 rings is another option.

boudreaux said:
yeah and it is a CUSTOM casette,not a shimano product.
The Harris 13x30 is custom, but is made from Shimano parts. I went from a 13x25 to a 13x30 and am VERY happy that I did so. I do a lot of fairly steep climbs and I sometimes think I should have gone with a 13x32. Anyway, if you are having trouble keeping up your cadence on the climbs, then a 13x30 will be a good investment.

serenaslu said:

They're designed for 32T but very conservatively specked for 27T. They will comfortably work on 30T, and depending on the bike mounting usually will work on 32T, occasionally will work on 34T.

Jaliveto said:

Jaliveto said:

Other suggestions-

You could pull the 12T & second smallest sprocket along with the second smallest sprocket’s spacer off of your current cassette and place a heavier un-spidered 30T or (29T if you can find one of these rarer Shimano sprockets) or 28T and the spacer from inside the second smallest sprocket behind the 25T. Need to replace the second smallest with a 13T with built in spacer.

Though not the full effect on the lower gearing a 34T granny gives you, you can get lower gearing with a 37T 130bcd chainrings from Warhawk, 38T from several other manufacturers.

Sounds like you’re located in the Frederick area or further west. If you’re near Frederick you’re close enough to Mt. Airy bikes you could head over there and they could customize something for you with a knowledge of the places where you ride. Probably not too many places in Maryland legendary shop owner Larry Black hasn’t ridden.

Buy a loose 28T (or 30T) cog, take out the 14T and spacer from your 12-25 cassette, put the 28T (or 30T) and spacer on the cassette body followed by the remaining cogs and spacers from your 12-25. You now have a 12-28 (or 12-30).

You can also get the customized 13-28 or 13-30. But then you lose the 12T. You have to decide it you can live without that cog. I certainly would want it if I lived in a mountainous area.

Hello how are you. I have road bike with 53/39 crank and 9 speeds. I ride in flat trail and in hilly trail. the hilly trail have elevation from 900feet to 700 feet. My setup is good or i need other crank or cassete size, Also i have crank 52/42 and spare 40 ring. is better i use the 52 crank