Question on bike seat

MP

Guest
I have a slim bike seat on my mountain bike. My butt gets pretty sore riding
it (albeit, at the beginning of the season before I'm "used" to it).

I'm just wondering if there is any danger or health problems from using such
a seat. The bones in my butt are pretty sore today (I went biking yesterday
morning) and feel like bruising. Is there any danger of getting hemhoroids
(sp?) from bike seats? I know that you can get them if the sitting surface
is hard.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,
MP

"MP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>The bones in my butt are pretty sore today (I went biking yesterday
> morning) and feel like bruising.

<snip>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Double check your saddle height. 9/10 this is an indication that it is too
high.

Good Luck!

How do I know if it's too high? What is the angle that I should have with my
knee for optimal seat height? Right now when I pedal, I use the forward part
of my foot (towards the toes) and my legs extend almost all the way (angle
of my knee is almost 180 degree).

Is this correct?

TIA

"TM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "MP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >The bones in my butt are pretty sore today (I went biking yesterday
> > morning) and feel like bruising.

> <snip>
> > Any advice would be appreciated.
> >

> Double check your saddle height. 9/10 this is an indication that it is

too
> high.
>
> Good Luck!

"MP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How do I know if it's too high?

Pain like you're having is one clue.

>What is the angle that I should have with my
> knee for optimal seat height?

Warmed up, on a trainer. Pedal at the 6 o'clock position, foot level. A 35
degree flex in the knee is a good ballpark (about 145 degrees to your way of
thinking.)

Right now when I pedal, I use the forward part
> of my foot (towards the toes)

If you are using regular pedals (not clipless), then the ball of your foot
is fine.

and my legs extend almost all the way (angle
> of my knee is almost 180 degree).
>
> Is this correct?

No. You would do better with more of a bend. Bike fit involves a lot of
trial and error. Perhaps your bike shop can help you fine tune your
position, but I would guess that dropping your saddle may do the trick in
alleviating some of the discomfort you are currently experiencing.

There are a lot of great sites that have bike fit information. Do a quick
search and you'll learn a lot.

Thanks, found some stuff that I started reading on this topic.