Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

questions about generator lights

Started by dvt · · Last activity · 34 posts · 1,424 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 October 2005
Last activity
17 October 2005
Original author
dvt
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,424
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jasper Janssen said:
    Quoted message said:


    When I'm stopped in the right hand lane [at an intersection], a car coming head-on at me
    would have to be driving on the wrong side of the road. There's not
    much chance of that.

    Your faith in your fellow man is touching, but I'm wondering how you
    survive riding on the road if you're that trusting.

    ??? Well, I've survived riding on the road since 1972 or so. That's
    as an adult.

    I can say "there's not much chance" of a head-on conflict because
    drivers don't drive down the left side of the road at intersections. I
    can also say that in over 30 years of adult cycling, I've never seen
    such a conflict happen.

    You really _can_ count on the elementary rules of traffic. Sure, pay
    attention - but don't go overboard with your imagination.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    The only time I think there's a non-trivial probability of a head-on
    crash while I'm stationary, is when I'm in the center turning lane of a
    five lane arterial. That lane serves left turners from both
    directions.

    Whenever I hear about left side exits and all this kind of wacky [censored] I
    get the urge to call a friend of mine who works for We Build US Highways
    and shout at him.

    Quoted message said:

    I do this every time I ride home from work, and many times
    besides. I generally time it so I'm still moving forward as I wait for
    oncoming traffic to clear.

    But you'll still be going too slow to get decent light output with a
    generator, usually.

    It depends how well I can time it. Nonetheless, if I'm moving forward
    in that two-way LTOL and a car is moving toward me, hoping to turn into
    a bank parking lot, he'll be looking at my white front blinky, and
    he'll be looking at my front pedal reflectors. The pedal reflectors
    will be moving, and VERY bright in the beam of his headlights. And,
    BTW, that blinky has a reflector built in as well.

    Again, in practice this has been not a problem.

    - Frank Krygowski

  2. This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

  3. Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:01:33 GMT, SriBikeJi:

    Quoted message said:

    This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

    Unplug the cable from the hub dynamo connecters, loosen the quick release,
    remove the wheel.

    Andreas

  4. Quoted message said:
    Rick said:

    We have 3 generator hub system:

    1) Schmidt Hub, Lumotec Oval Plus (with standlight)+Schmidt E6
    2) Schmidt Hub, Lumotec+Schmidt E6
    3) Shimano DH-3N71 Hub, Lumotec Senso Oval Plus (w/
    standlight)+Lumotec

    They are all great, plenty of light for my suburban/rural commuting and
    touring (dark un-lit tunnels in Europe, e.g.).

    Do you notice any difference between the Schmidt and Shimano generators
    while riding? Which of the various lights you own produce the
    most/best light and/or pattern?

    Schmidt is better, but for a commute bike the difference is too small
    to mention. For long distances, e.g., randonneuring or touring,
    Schmidt is the hands-down winner.

    To expand on A. M-S's answer on lights, the Shmidt E-6 (same as the
    BiSy he mentions) puts by far the most concentrated light on the road.
    Excellent for seeing what is on the road in front of you. But it is
    too concentrated as a single light, IMO, unless there is good ambient
    lighting such as street lights. The various Lumotecs are basically
    the same except for features like standlights, switches, etc. They put
    out a decent amount of light, but more dispersed than the E-6. If you
    ran with a single light, a Lumotec is a better choice. That is why we
    run an E-6/Lumotec combo - get the best of both worlds. The E-6 lets
    me see the potholes, sinkholes, fallen branches, the boards from the
    fence some car went through, etc. The Lumotec gives me a good idea of
    everything else around. The Lumotec/Lumotec combo is a new one for
    this year; I want to see how it works but it is not into the heart of
    dark commuting months yet. My guess is that for most of the time it
    will be sufficient; just a few rural-ish areas where I will slow down a
    bit more and wish for the E-6 :-) Part of that decision was $$$ ; just
    coming off an extensive home remodel and the Lumotec is less than half
    the cost of an E-6, so I will give it a try.

    - rick

  5. SriBikeJi said:

    This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

    Unplug, then quick-release. May take a few extra seconds.

    Jasper

  6. Quoting SriBikeJi <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

    The two wires are cabletied to the bottom of the front fork, so it's no
    more than an extra 10 seconds to pull 'em loose and stick 'em back on
    again. It's no trouble, really.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?
    Today is First Teleute, October.

  7. Quoting <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Rick said:

    We have 3 generator hub system:
    1) Schmidt Hub, Lumotec Oval Plus (with standlight)+Schmidt E6
    2) Schmidt Hub, Lumotec+Schmidt E6
    3) Shimano DH-3N71 Hub, Lumotec Senso Oval Plus (w/ standlight)+Lumotec
    They are all great, plenty of light for my suburban/rural commuting and
    touring (dark un-lit tunnels in Europe, e.g.).


    Do you notice any difference between the Schmidt and Shimano generators
    while riding?

    I've ridden bikes with both and I don't see any difference. The Schmidt is
    more efficient when turned off, but since one you easily ride along in the
    daylight with the lights on and not notice [1], you won't perceive a small
    difference in turned-off drag.

    Quoted message said:

    Which of the various lights you own produce the
    most/best light and/or pattern?

    The E6 is more narrowly focussed than the Lumotec. I like the resulting
    extremely long reach of the beam, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. If
    you can afford to run two headlights (I do on my tandem) E6+Lumotec (with
    a standlight on the Lumotec) gives you everything you could want.

    [1] Top tip; always turn them off when stopping. Always. You won't notice
    a light on during the day but you'll certainly notice it being off at
    night.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?
    Today is First Teleute, October.

  8. dvt said:
    Andreas Oehler said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

    Quoted message said:

    Unplug the cable from the hub dynamo connecters, loosen the quick release,
    remove the wheel.

    What if your replacement wheel doesn't have a dynohub? What do you do
    with the cable?

    Use a zip tie, rubber band, etc. to firmly attach the wires to the
    fork. No big deal.

    - rick

  9. dvt said:

    I use studded snow tyres occasionally in the winter. I have a spare
    front wheel with the studded tyre mounted, and I just swap wheels when I
    want. I don't want to invest in two dynohub wheels. Tyre and rim-driven
    generators are reputed to have slippage problems in rain and snow.

    The only solution I have come up with is to use a dynohub most of the
    year, then use an adapted battery to power the same lamps when I put on
    the studded tyres. Therefore the question I posed in my first paragraph.

    I know some of you are riding in these conditions with generator lights,
    which is why I posted here in the first place. Any further suggestions?

    Maybe so. In a threat titled "Lights" on r.b.misc, I was just directed
    to
    http://www.roseversand.com/rose_main.cfm?KAT_ID=0&PRD_ID=15926&spr_id=2&MID=0&CID=175

    or http://tinyurl.com/c2mj7

    The FER generator is a bit clunky looking and heavy, but it works well
    in my experience. For winter use of my mountain bike (on roads) I've
    used this.

    It's driven by the spokes. That black plastic arrow-shaped thing is a
    lever that flips into the space between spokes. The unit mounts by
    removing the wheel and skewer, sliding the axle into the round hole at
    left-center (vertically below the drive lever), then clamping into your
    front fork.

    There's no possibility of slip. Efficiency is decent - better than a
    bottle, worse than a hub. When these first came out, I heard of
    problems with the internal toothed belt breaking after a while, but I
    later heard they were improved in that regard. Mine came with a spare
    belt which is still in the box.

    Just before I got mine, Nashbar was selling (or attempting to sell)
    these for about $100. When Nashbar was being sold and their outlet
    store was closing, I got this for about $40. But the poster on the
    other thread says it now sells for just $30 US.

    Mine's worked well, although it has far fewer miles than my other
    generator sets. It's usually on my wife's touring bike.

    I'd consider it. Of course, it's an overseas purchase for us
    Americans, so I don't know about shipping.

    - Frank Krygowski

  10. Wed, 12 Oct 2005 13:06:35 -0400, dvt:

    Quoted message said:

    What if your replacement wheel doesn't have a dynohub? What do you do
    with the cable?

    The cable should be fixed to the fork anyway. The few Centimeters of loose
    end should be stiff enough to stay in place without additional measures.

    I'm using a second bike with studded tires in winter, which also is less
    damaged by salt - because it is rusty anyhow...

    Andreas

  11. Quoted message said:

    Just before I got mine, Nashbar was selling (or attempting to sell)
    these for about $100. When Nashbar was being sold and their outlet
    store was closing, I got this for about $40. But the poster on the
    other thread says it now sells for just $30 US.

    Well.. it sells for 25 euros in europe, which is about the equivalent of
    $30 US. Whether you can get it at all and/or for that price in the US,
    that I dunno.

    Jasper

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, dvt <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Andreas Oehler said:
    Quoted message said:

    This is likely a dumb question, but how difficult is it to change a
    dynamo-hubbed wheel? Doesn't one end up with dangling wires, etc.?

    Quoted message said:

    Unplug the cable from the hub dynamo connecters, loosen the quick release,
    remove the wheel.

    What if your replacement wheel doesn't have a dynohub? What do you do
    with the cable?

    I use studded snow tyres occasionally in the winter. I have a spare
    front wheel with the studded tyre mounted, and I just swap wheels when I
    want. I don't want to invest in two dynohub wheels. Tyre and rim-driven
    generators are reputed to have slippage problems in rain and snow.

    Why do that? If the weather gets colder, I swap my pair of Schwalbe
    Marathons 700c to a pair of Schwalbe Snow Stud tires and this will
    solve all of your problems. I do run a Schmidt&Lumotec B&B generator
    combination btw..

    By inflating these snow stud tires according to the normal road riding
    conditions rating (higher pressure), they ride like normal tires
    (acceptable low rolling resistance). But as soon as the snow falls or
    the road turns icy, lower the pressure down to 30-45psi and they will
    then behave like regular snow tires and the studs will then grip the
    road. This way, you get to keep the hub on the bike and avoid having
    the mess of swapping wheels.

    And yes, these snow stud tires work great under fair snowy and icy
    conditions and are available in both 26" and 700c.

    David.

  13. dvt said:
    David said:

    ...the light bulb burns out (and they do more
    quickly than normal battery operated bulbs do -- at least with both my
    Lumotec and Sanden)

    So that's still a problem, eh? I figured maybe the circuits in more
    recent headlamps would have that problem all but eliminated.

    Having read the entire thread I'm astonished nobody mentioned the
    use of light emitting diodes. Luxeon seems to have one that comes
    close to matching a 6V 3W generator if used in an array of four,
    arranged in a classic full-wave rectifier setup. Please look at
    http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS25.pdf and let me know if anybody's
    tried something like this.

    I have an old Soubitez genset and want to replace the incandescents
    with something more efficient. I have a small stash of Osram headlamps
    but tail lights are getting hard to find and expensive. Better to replace
    the whole works with solid state.

    Thanks for reading and any counsel.

    bob prohaska

    Quoted message said:
  14. Somebody using bob prohaska's usenet account said:

    Having read the entire thread I'm astonished nobody mentioned the
    use of light emitting diodes. Luxeon seems to have one that comes
    close to matching a 6V 3W generator if used in an array of four,
    arranged in a classic full-wave rectifier setup. Please look at
    http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS25.pdf and let me know if anybody's
    tried something like this.

    I have an old Soubitez genset and want to replace the incandescents
    with something more efficient. I have a small stash of Osram headlamps
    but tail lights are getting hard to find and expensive. Better to replace
    the whole works with solid state.

    Thanks for reading and any counsel.

    You're just reading the wrong thread. There's another thread going on
    titles "LED Headlight and generator?" That's the one you want.

    - Frank Krygowski

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.