Questions for/regarding potential new cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff Wills wrote:
>
> Well, the guy *wants* a bike. I think a steel EZ-1 would make a good "learner" bike.

I have a Rebike and an EZ-1, and the Rebike is lots easier to ride, because the pedals are a lot
lower to the ground. True, a Rebike is not currently made, but they are available on Ebay and on
classified places (and actually, now that I am used to the EZ-1 that was my son's but will be mine
as soon as I pay for it so he can get an Actionbent SWB, I am either going to sell my Rebike or
motorize it).

After riding bikes for years and having ridden this EZ-1 for a few months, I still wobble when I
start off. I have ridden a bike long enough to know what to do, but I think that would be pretty
daunting to someone of that weight who very well might have problems getting their feet up to the
pedals like I still do (and I am a very wide load also).

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. -
Mother Teresa

Brandi Weed wrote:
>
> I suppose this sound frivolous but... can you fit training wheels to an EZ-1?

Maybe, but if you used them too much at 300 lbs you would ruin them fast.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. -
Mother Teresa

Joao de Souza wrote:
>
>
> The main question is: Can an EZ-1 support a 320Lbs rider? And if he leans over, can the training
> wheels support it? I doubt it.

An EZ-1 can support a 280-pound rider. I don't know about the EZ-1 Lite, though.

--
Mother Teresa

Lars S. Mulford wrote:
> He's never ridden at bike. EVER.
>
> He's never sat on a bike, never had one as a child. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP.

I wonder if maybe a Revive might work for him as well?

--
Mother Teresa

Torben Scheel wrote:
>
> I bet she was imported ;-)
>
> Nobody can live that long with public transport!

My last experience with public transport in Denmark was just over 20 years ago, but if it has not
changed that significantly, using it would not seem to be too much of a hardship.

A trip to the US is in order - after sampling what passes for public transport in the US, no one in
Northern Europe would ever complain about theirs.

Tom Sherman - Recumbent Curmudgeon

If money is not an issue he should get a tandom recumbent. Riding with a more experiaced rider would allow him to simply peddle and slowly learn balance and steering.

"Tom Sherman" skrev...
> My last experience with public transport in Denmark was just over 20 years ago, but if it has not
> changed that significantly, using it would not seem to be too much of a hardship.

Be afraid... be very afraid...

Mikael

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> The main question is: Can an EZ-1 support a 320Lbs rider? And if he leans over, can the training
> wheels support it? I doubt it.

My EZ-1 supports *me* and I...

[shameful look]

... got 30lbs on him. I've been riding irregularly (1-3 times a week, local jaunts of a mile or two)
since July and had no problems even when the tires were at one point 10lbs under minimum inflation
due to a total blonde moment on my part.

Don't have training wheels, though.

--
brandiweed at lanset dot com

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply must be edykated coz e writed:

> Lars S. Mulford wrote:
>> He's never ridden at bike. EVER.
>>
>> He's never sat on a bike, never had one as a child. NOTHING, NADA, ZIP.
>
> I wonder if maybe a Revive might work for him as well?
Tell him to get a trike. Plus some mild gym work and a sensible diet before he starts cycling in
earnest, might save him a heart attack.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian wrote:
> Tell him to get a trike. Plus some mild gym work and a sensible diet before he starts cycling in
> earnest, might save him a heart attack.

Maybe he has already seen a doctor and has it already all planned out.

Personally, I prefer cycling to working out in a gym any day -- more interesting, can build up
very gradually, don't have to feel inferior about skinny minis wearing designer clothing, etc. I
started out going
1/2 mile at a time a few times a week starting a few months ago when I started reconditioning myself
after serial injuries over the course of several years that have left me in really bad physical
shape because I barely recuperate from one thing and another one comes up, and now I am up to
going 3-5 miles a few times a week. That's not enough to give anybody a heart attack if they build
up that slow. And (whispering) I would be perfectly happy and at the high end of an appropriate
weight for my height if I weighed half as much as I do now.

--
Mother Teresa

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply must be edykated coz e writed:

> Ian wrote:
>> Tell him to get a trike. Plus some mild gym work and a sensible diet before he starts cycling in
>> earnest, might save him a heart attack.
>
> Maybe he has already seen a doctor and has it already all planned out.
>
> Personally, I prefer cycling to working out in a gym any day -- more interesting, can build up
> very gradually, don't have to feel inferior about skinny minis wearing designer clothing, etc. I
> started out going
> 1/2 mile at a time a few times a week starting a few months ago when I started reconditioning
> myself after serial injuries over the course of several years that have left me in really bad
> physical shape because I barely recuperate from one thing and another one comes up, and now I am
> up to going 3-5 miles a few times a week. That's not enough to give anybody a heart attack if
> they build up that slow. And (whispering) I would be perfectly happy and at the high end of an
> appropriate weight for my height if I weighed half as much as I do now.

You make good points, the only thing I worry about with new cyclists is they cycle an easy 5 miles
and suddenly find themselves 5 miles from home, then instead of being sensible and calling for a
lift home they adopt pig head status and try to ride back, it has been known for a heart fighting
against fat to give up when expected to provide the extra for the ride home, a largely inactive life
with a poor diet does not just lead to the storage of body fat but also to the build up of arterial
fat, and it is the arterial fat that kills. In example, my girlfriend has a thyroid problem, she has
difficulty keeping weight off but she has a sensible diet and she is able to exercise, conversely a
slightly overweight guy with a fatty diet and inactive lifestyle will be more likely to suffer
cardial infarction if he starts to exercise without first addressing his dietry problems. And yes I
have been trained in nutritional and sports sciences. I would hope this guy has been referred to or
has been to see a nutritionist as well.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Ian wrote:
>
> You make good points, the only thing I worry about with new cyclists is they cycle an easy 5 miles
> and suddenly find themselves 5 miles from home, then instead of being sensible and calling for a
> lift home they adopt pig head status and try to ride back,

Okay. But if this guy is 300-plus pounds and inactive, I doubt he is going to be able to make it 5
miles on his first day. I know that I couldn't, and I wouldn't have even tried. Half a mile the
first week was all I could do, and I was definitely trying to take it easy. And he can't even ride a
bike yet, so having to learn *will* keep his initial distances short. Hopefully if he is seeking the
counsel of his thoughtful buddy who is the OP on this thread, he will be easily convinced that he
has to go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and make sure he gets an okay from his doc.

I'm with you on the dietition recommendation, too, but sometimes with health plans the way they are
you can't get too many good ideas from them. I know that I went to the dietician a quite number of
years ago and basically all we worked on was getting me to automatically figure out a standard
portion of anything and eat one portion at a time before deciding to eat a second portion. It helped
keep me from putting on 20 pounds a year because I never learned how to eat right, but it hasn't
helped me lose any. Of course she was right that being seriously overweight sort of precluded me
from going on a 1000-cal-a-day diet and that portion control was the first step, but she never
mentioned exercise and we never seemed to get any further than that before I had to quit.

it has been known for a heart fighting against
> fat to give up when expected to provide the extra for the ride home, a largely inactive life with
> a poor diet does not just lead to the storage of body fat but also to the build up of arterial
> fat, and it is the arterial fat that kills. In example, my girlfriend has a thyroid problem, she
> has difficulty keeping weight off but she has a sensible diet and she is able to exercise,
> conversely a slightly overweight guy with a fatty diet and inactive lifestyle will be more likely
> to suffer cardial infarction if he starts to exercise without first addressing his dietry
> problems. And yes I have been trained in nutritional and sports sciences. I would hope this guy
> has been referred to or has been to see a nutritionist as well.
>

--
Mother Teresa

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote:
> I started out going
> 1/2 mile at a time a few times a week starting a few months ago when I started reconditioning
> myself after serial injuries over the course of several years that have left me in really bad
> physical shape because I barely recuperate from one thing and another one comes up, and now I am
> up to going 3-5 miles a few times a week.

That's the key - build up slowly. Try tacking on a half-mile or so each week or three, and
eventually you'll find that you can go suprisingly far. Beware, it's addictive! :)

Some of my friends are amazed at the long rides I take. Granted, my situation is different (I lost
the weight *before* getting back into cycling), but if you keep at it, long rides will be a snap.
I'm now in the best shape I've been in since I was in high school - and that was a long time ago.

I wonder how many people get turned off of cycling due to cheap, poorly made bikes? One thing I've
noticed - whether upright or recumbent, good bikes are not cheap.

Some folks are shocked at the price of even a more modest bike like my Rocket, let alone a high-end
ride such as an Aero or Ti-Rush (or a high-end upright like a Litespeed or Moulton), but it's some
of the best money I've ever spent. Even so, it's kind of sick how much good stuff costs. :( It's
still cheaper than a heart transplant!

--
Russ [email protected] the wabbit to despam "If this were a
dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -George W. Bush

Howdy folks!

Wow, what good and thoughtful replies! It is also wonderful to hear of all the support out there!
Ok, let me see if I can kinda cover all the replies and whatnot in one fell swoop. Here goes.

The ideas on teaching him to ride are great, especially the ones that mentioned riding first with
the feet and legs out and perhaps no pedals and whatnot... learning to balance first before starting
up cyclical motion... that makes a lot of sense!

That is my biggest concern right now, to be honest, in that before he can even begin riding and
mapping out what he can and can't do as far as riding goes, we've first got to get him to where he
can actually ride.

As far as health issues go, he is under the care of very good medical staff and has the green light
from them to explore biking as a means of exercise. They'll comment more when we figure out what he
can and can't do on the bike. To be sure though, we're talking about a guy who IS overweight but has
the desire to lose. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I consider him overweight but not
terribly out of shape?

As for support, he looked to me, I reckon, because I was in his position at the beginning of this
year. I'm 6'6" and 218 lbs right now. It's what I weighed when I got married 15 years ago. At the
beginning of this year, I was 300 lbs. I got a bad "report card" from my doc, who then gave me 6
months to get my act together or face a lifetime of meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. It
was enough of a wake up call for me, but what cemented the deal was when my youngest daughter came
to me and asked how my doctors appointment went. (My wife and oldest daughter knew to NOT ask me
when I came in because they know that "look" on my face that says "don't ask me about it right now".
My youngest daughter did not recognize that "face".) I looked at her and was honest and said "Daddy
got a bad report card and he needs to take better care of himself." She looked right at me and said
"Daddy ,you always talk about how much you love mommy and sissy and me, but if you loved us, you'd
love yourself more."

That did it.

If ever I needed something to provide ownership along with commitment, that was the deal sealer.

Bottom line? I lost the weight. I changed my diet, dropped bad eating habits, began riding and
working out every day. My friend knows me from college days and knows how lazy I can be. I think he
is heartened by the fact that I did it. He should be, because I could scarcely believe I did it too.

I feel pretty good about him losing the weight (he'll be doing other exercise too as well as dietary
changes); I think it will happen for him. I admire his desire to do something (ride bikes) that he's
never done and always wanted to do. He's nervous and apprehensive, but his desire remains. It is
heartening to read all the advice and support on here - I'm passing it all on to him.

--
"Sea" ya! --Lars S. Mulford "You can find evil anywhere you look. The question is, why are you
looking?" "Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ian wrote:
> >
> > You make good points, the only thing I worry about with new cyclists is
they
> > cycle an easy 5 miles and suddenly find themselves 5 miles from home,
then
> > instead of being sensible and calling for a lift home they adopt pig
head
> > status and try to ride back,
>
> Okay. But if this guy is 300-plus pounds and inactive, I doubt he is going to be able to make it 5
> miles on his first day. I know that I couldn't, and I wouldn't have even tried. Half a mile the
> first week was all I could do, and I was definitely trying to take it easy. And he can't even ride
> a bike yet, so having to learn *will* keep his initial distances short. Hopefully if he is seeking
> the counsel of his thoughtful buddy who is the OP on this thread, he will be easily convinced that
> he has to go v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y and make sure he gets an okay from his doc.
>
> I'm with you on the dietition recommendation, too, but sometimes with health plans the way they
> are you can't get too many good ideas from them. I know that I went to the dietician a quite
> number of years ago and basically all we worked on was getting me to automatically figure out a
> standard portion of anything and eat one portion at a time before deciding to eat a second
> portion. It helped keep me from putting on 20 pounds a year because I never learned how to eat
> right, but it hasn't helped me lose any. Of course she was right that being seriously overweight
> sort of precluded me from going on a 1000-cal-a-day diet and that portion control was the first
> step, but she never mentioned exercise and we never seemed to get any further than that before I
> had to quit.
>
> it has been known for a heart fighting against
> > fat to give up when expected to provide the extra for the ride home, a largely inactive life
> > with a poor diet does not just lead to the storage
of
> > body fat but also to the build up of arterial fat, and it is the
arterial
> > fat that kills. In example, my girlfriend has a thyroid problem, she has difficulty
keeping
> > weight off but she has a sensible diet and she is able to exercise, conversely a slightly
> > overweight guy with a fatty diet and inactive lifestyle will be more likely to suffer cardial
> > infarction if he starts
to
> > exercise without first addressing his dietry problems. And yes I have been trained in
> > nutritional and sports sciences. I would hope this guy has been referred to or has been to see a
nutritionist
> > as well.
> >
>
>
> --
> I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
> - Mother Teresa

Originally posted by Don

> He won't have to unlearn anything.

Don is right. My baby sister (60yrs old) has ridden "up-wrong" all of her life and was panic stricken on her first try on the EZ-1 that we bought for my wife. She knows "how" to ride by she doesn't have a clue as to the "why" she is able to ride.

I also agree on the low bottom bracket bikes for us aerobelly enhanced riders. It is a whole lot easier to breathe when your gut is hanging out the bottom of your chest cavity instead of trying to fill it when the BB is high.

A light foot ranger built to his personal spec would be so nice that he might never want to change......Unless he decided to step up to a TiGRR.

I would tell him to go see beautiful Montana and talk to the guys and girls at Light foot personally. "Getting there is half the fun".

When I step up to my TiGRR I am going to CA to hash it out with the Gardner himself even though I would be delighted to take delivery sight unseen.

Jerry

Lars S. Mulford wrote:
>
> The ideas on teaching him to ride are great, especially the ones that mentioned riding first with
> the feet and legs out and perhaps no pedals and whatnot... learning to balance first before
> starting up cyclical motion... that makes a lot of sense!

That is how all my children learned to ride their bikes. Forget running behind them. I had them
learn to coast on their bikes while pushing with their feet and learn the balance, and when they
were comfortable I had them just pedal once and coast, and by the time they practiced that a little
bit they were off like a flash. I can still remember the glorious look on the face of my
will-be-16-next-week-YO when he finally "got it."

He really is going to have to start on a bike with pedals lower to the ground, because if he can't
get his feet between the pedals and the ground quickly enough, he's going to crash and then you will
have broken arms and the like to contend with, with the force of that much bulk on the arm.

> As far as health issues go, he is under the care of very good medical staff and has the green
> light from them to explore biking as a means of exercise. They'll comment more when we figure out
> what he can and can't do on the bike. To be sure though, we're talking about a guy who IS
> overweight but has the desire to lose. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but I consider him
> overweight but not terribly out of shape?

Sounds good to me.

> As for support, he looked to me, I reckon, because I was in his position at the beginning of this
> year. I'm 6'6" and 218 lbs right now. It's what I weighed when I got married 15 years ago. At the
> beginning of this year, I was 300 lbs.

Wow. What an inspiration for him.

> admire his desire to do something (ride bikes) that he's never done and always wanted to do. He's
> nervous and apprehensive, but his desire remains. It is heartening to read all the advice and
> support on here - I'm passing it all on to him.

If you keep us informed of his progress, I, at least, will be delighted to cheer him on.

--
Mother Teresa

> Tell him to get a trike. Plus some mild gym work and a sensible diet before he starts cycling in
> earnest, might save him a heart attack.

I was thinking along the same lines... he has never ridden a bike. he will have no clue what he will
be happy with. He needs to buy time, get a lil bit better condition, have time to look at/ride more
recumbents.

My advice is to buy a good older non-suspended mtn bike. They are cheap! My Univega Alpina Uno was a
very strong bicycle, I gave it to a charity. Let him learn on something like this. He can go to
Walmart and get a nice wide plush seat to distribute the.. uh.. stress. Learning will be easier, he
can dab with his foot if he needs to. He won't break the bank if he crashes the bike. If he changes
his other mind and decides that biking isn't for him, the total cost of the experiment is
inconsquential.

After he has time to make a more informed choice, and has assured himself that biking is for him,
then he can shell out the bucks for a 'bent.

Russ Price wrote:
>
> That's the key - build up slowly. Try tacking on a half-mile or so each week or three, and
> eventually you'll find that you can go suprisingly far. Beware, it's addictive! :)

When I was in high school I was going 20 miles a day on a 3-speed bike in the summer, so yes, I know
about it getting addictive.

--
Mother Teresa

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Ian wrote:
>> Tell him to get a trike. Plus some mild gym work and a sensible diet before he starts cycling in
>> earnest, might save him a heart attack.
>
> Maybe he has already seen a doctor and has it already all planned out.
>
> Personally, I prefer cycling to working out in a gym any day -- more interesting, can build up
> very gradually, don't have to feel inferior about skinny minis wearing designer clothing, etc. I
> started out going 1/2 mile at a time a few times a week starting a few months ago when I started
> reconditioning myself after serial injuries over the course of several years that have left me in
> really bad physical shape because I barely recuperate from one thing and another one comes up, and
> now I am up to going 3-5 miles a few times a week. That's not enough to give anybody a heart
> attack if they build up that slow. And (whispering) I would be perfectly happy and at the high end
> of an appropriate weight for my height if I weighed half as much as I do now.
>

Good for you Melinda! You hang in there, it gets a lot easier when you work up to 10 miles or more,
the extra riding time just makes a huge difference as far as dropping weight.

> inactive lifestyle will be more likely to suffer cardial infarction if he starts to exercise
> without first addressing his dietry problems. And yes I have been trained in nutritional and
> sports sciences. I would hope this guy has been referred to or has been to see a nutritionist
> as well.
>

What is an infarction? Heard the term but never knew? I've heard of Myocardial? ifarction as well.
Is that the misfiring of the electrical signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.