Quick question from a newbie!

Kingspudz

Jul 19, 2004
I have been cycling for two years now after a break of about 5 years. I have always drank water when cycling and I was wondering if there was any other drink that could help me. Please let me know,

Kingspudz

"A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FOOT"

There is so much stuff I can't list it all. Gatorade, Powerade, etc.

Do a google search for 'sports drink' or 'sport drinks' you should get a lot of hits.

good luck!

mattp71 said:
There is so much stuff I can't list it all. Gatorade, Powerade, etc.

Do a google search for 'sports drink' or 'sport drinks' you should get a lot of hits.

good luck!
Thanks mate,

I know of gatorade and others but was just wondering if there was a specific one for biking.... i'll have a looksy though :)

Kingspudz said:
Thanks mate,

I know of gatorade and others but was just wondering if there was a specific one for biking.... i'll have a looksy though :)

take a look into accelerade, i use it in track and it seems to help but it could also just be in my head.

Depnds on your riding. Anything more than 30mins of exersise esp in hot conditions you're gonna need isotonic if you take it seriously. Don't confuse sports drinks with energy drinks they won't rehydrate you so well. Just look for the work isotonic and not anything fizzy. This stuff can be expensive and if you're not doing this competitivley don't bother waisting your money. Plain water will do tbu don't underdo it you'll need about 150 - 250ml per 20 mins and drink before you need it not when you feel thirsty as you will have already lost some performance by then. Also lok in sports/health stores for powdered iso drinks as they are more economical and bulk it ever better. You may want to buy a few ready made bottles before you buy such expensive stuff. Drink 250ml about 30 mins before 150-250 everu 20 mins during and 250 mills ASAP after exersice. This advise changes from person to person so try find what works for you as it's different for different people.

For 1 hour, just water. For 2 hours, excessively hot, or a hillfest ... Cytomax and water. I think Cyto works better (for me) than Gatorade. I'd steer clear of stuff like Powerade since it uses fructose as its main source of fuel.

Best.

CycleFreakLS said:
For 1 hour, just water. For 2 hours, excessively hot, or a hillfest ... Cytomax and water. I think Cyto works better (for me) than Gatorade. I'd steer clear of stuff like Powerade since it uses fructose as its main source of fuel.

Really? In Australia Powerade is primarily Glucose.

Roadie_scum said:
Really? In Australia Powerade is primarily Glucose.

That's better. In the premixed bottles I've seen here in the states, Powerade uses high fructose corn syrup. Absolutely the last thing you want for "fuel". I've noticed that premixed Gatorade and powdered Gatorade don't use the same "fuel" either. Hmmmnnnn...

In any case, I prefer Cytomax ... which I then turn into Cytomax "Enhanced" partly because I think Cyto Grape is ... well ... kinda sorta grape flavored (if you haven't already tasted a grape before). But more importantly, it is enhanced since I add: maltodextrin powder, table salt (sodium), salt substitute (potassium), table sugar, and Kool Aid grape (unsweetened). Cyto Enh is more "yummy" and 1 24-oz bottle has the equivalent (me thinks...) of half a Clif bar mixed into it as well.

Best.