race NP busters?

tk_bike

Feb 18, 2005
I raced yesterday for 3h22 with a normalised power 2w below FTP, or what i thought ftp was.

average was only 227 w but NP 268 W i thought ftp was 270, but the race didnt feel too hard (just need some speed in the legs to get away, but thats another matter) so vi was 1.18.

it didnt seem THAT hard, mainly cos i missed the break but such a high np seems strange, or is it just time to retest ftp?

Nice ride, time to retest. Was your highest 1hr NP greater than your estimated FTP?

Technically, to be an NP buster your 1hr NP needs to exceed FTP by at least 5%. Super-long rides that come close to, but don't exceed, FTP don't quite 'bust' it. ;)

frenchyge said:
Nice ride, time to retest. Was your highest 1hr NP greater than your estimated FTP?

Technically, to be an NP buster your 1hr NP needs to exceed FTP by at least 5%. Super-long rides that come close to, but don't exceed, FTP don't quite 'bust' it. ;)
shite ride! got lapped on the 3 mile finish circuit, tho escaped at the end with a very good rider and some others and re-caught a few people. endurance is good and feeling good at the end of 135km race.

highest 1hr np was well over ftp (292w, VI 1.24), tho highest 30 min np was less than 1 hour (276 VI 1.07), dont quite get that??

1hr NP was 292 vs estimated FTP of 270, i had been thinking this may have improved though - time to re-test once i've got rid of this damn cold.

i think at the moment ftp is not the limiter (im only 61kg so 270+ ain't as bad as it sounds ;) but i cant get in the moves so i'm gonna cut the volume - endurance is no problem i can race the distance with no problems, and focus on repeated, hard efforts for a bit. say hello to 'madison' styleee intervals and some l6.