Raced a fast dog today!

Dr.Hairybiker

Aug 23, 2004
Seems like most dogs just want to bark a few times, then race to the end of their property, or until they lose interest. Usually, if I speed up to 25-30 MPH or so they'll give up pretty quick. Today, some Irish setter or Golden Retriever, or some kind of gold colored dog, came out alongside me and stayed with me for at least 2 miles. I was mashing as hard as I could, doing 25-35 MPH the whole time, and couldn't drop this dog. Everytime I thought I had him, I'd look over and see him sort of stretch out and pull with his front legs and here he'd come again. I think this dog had some Greyhound in him or something. Finally he just pulled up and turned around. Never barked or anything. I don't know if he finally got tired or if he figured he'd proved his point. I'm gonna go back and have another try at him Friday. Anyone else have any dog race stories?

Dr.Hairybiker said:
Seems like most dogs just want to bark a few times, then race to the end of their property, or until they lose interest. Usually, if I speed up to 25-30 MPH or so they'll give up pretty quick. Today, some Irish setter or Golden Retriever, or some kind of gold colored dog, came out alongside me and stayed with me for at least 2 miles. I was mashing as hard as I could, doing 25-35 MPH the whole time, and couldn't drop this dog. Everytime I thought I had him, I'd look over and see him sort of stretch out and pull with his front legs and here he'd come again. I think this dog had some Greyhound in him or something. Finally he just pulled up and turned around. Never barked or anything. I don't know if he finally got tired or if he figured he'd proved his point. I'm gonna go back and have another try at him Friday. Anyone else have any dog race stories?

That's a fast dog all right, but down here in Bama it's 'em three-legged ones that we got to watch out for. Had a little terrier last weekend that shot straight off the porch of his trailer onto the road right in front of us. His sense of timing was about perfect. We figured he had to switch to that torpedo-across-the-bow technique after loosing a hind leg.

Maybe I could come over your way and use this dog to help me train so I can keep up with the advanced level group rides. :)

Dr.Hairybiker said:
I think this dog had some Greyhound in him or something.
I had a Grayhound they are fast for a 1/4 of a mile after that they walk. You have to put a lot of work into them to learn to run for longer distances.

Although I wasn't chased by a dog on today's ride, I did have a race with another furry creature....a cat! I was doing a warm-up ride in our local park and was only doing about 17mph. Up the road aways, I see this young cat in the road. So, I decide to go on the other side of the narrow roadway to avoid running into it. But, instead, the cat goes the way I'm headed......so I switch to the other side of the road and the cat just freaked! Suddenly I found myself side-by-side with this cat running full-steam ahead right along beside me. The thing that spooked me a bit though was that the cat seemed so startled, I thought it was going to dart either directly in front of me, or right under me(thus having my rear wheel run over it). Luckily, the cat just gave up and stopped and I rode away. Strangest thing.

Last year out on a night ride I looked over to see that a coyote was pacing me. He looked up at me like 'Hey dude' before he headed off into the brush.

lorrod said:
Although I wasn't chased by a dog on today's ride, I did have a race with another furry creature....a cat! I was doing a warm-up ride in our local park and was only doing about 17mph. Up the road aways, I see this young cat in the road. So, I decide to go on the other side of the narrow roadway to avoid running into it. But, instead, the cat goes the way I'm headed......so I switch to the other side of the road and the cat just freaked! Suddenly I found myself side-by-side with this cat running full-steam ahead right along beside me. The thing that spooked me a bit though was that the cat seemed so startled, I thought it was going to dart either directly in front of me, or right under me(thus having my rear wheel run over it). Luckily, the cat just gave up and stopped and I rode away. Strangest thing.
Yes, a veteran rider here was taken down by a cat a couple of years ago on a club ride. Believe it was his only big crash in many thousands of miles of riding.

dhk said:
Yes, a veteran rider here was taken down by a cat a couple of years ago on a club ride. Believe it was his only big crash in many thousands of miles of riding.
What came of the cat? :)

But on a more serious note...I'm a novice rider of about 3 weeks. There is no way I could do 25-35 miles an hour for 2 miles. The fastest I've gone is 36 down a pretty steep hill and that was pretty scary for me! I'm not much of a dog person, having had a couple of close calls as a kid. Do any of you have advice to help me avoid becoming puppy chow if I come across a dog on my adventures? Thanks.

nav310 said:

But on a more serious note...I'm a novice rider of about 3 weeks. There is no way I could do 25-35 miles an hour for 2 miles. The fastest I've gone is 36 down a pretty steep hill and that was pretty scary for me! I'm not much of a dog person, having had a couple of close calls as a kid. Do any of you have advice to help me avoid becoming puppy chow if I come across a dog on my adventures? Thanks.

Cattle prod...

when riding in rural north carolina me and some friends got chased by a pack of 4 dogs that were able to stay with us for a mile or so. They tried to cut us off so we had to dodge around them to make our getaway, only to make it over the next hill and run into a pack of 15 other dogs. we quickly turned around and started hauling ass back up the mountain we just came down. I think thats the fastest ive ever climbed.

during last years wisconsin state championships a dog ran onto the course and crashed about 10 cyclists. and the dog escaped without a scratch.

nav310 said:
Do any of you have advice to help me avoid becoming puppy chow if I come across a dog on my adventures? Thanks.
Learn to do the aforementioned 25- 30 mph ;)

nav310 said:

Do any of you have advice to help me avoid becoming puppy chow if I come across a dog on my adventures? Thanks.

The serious answer is "Don't sweat it". A number of years ago, I used to really stress out about getting chased by agressive dogs. I ride relatively often in a very poor, rural area where the rule seems to be the trashier the trailer, the more/bigger dogs you need to guard it. At first, I would scout routes out in advance and if I saw any dogs, I'd avoid going that way. As a result, I ended up with a very restricted set of routes where I'd have to do multiple loops to go 40 miles, boring as hell, almost like riding a trainer.

I finally decided I was just going to ignore the dogs and ride where I want to. My first ride took me on a long straight road and I saw a very large Rottweiler and another large brown dog right next to the road about 1/4 mile away. I thought I was dog meat. I rode right by and they totally ignored me. Yes, I have been chased but most of the time they just run along behind or beside me barking for a little while then lose interest. I've never been bitten (yet) or even snapped at. Now I'm more worried about getting involved in a collision with a chasing dog than getting bitten by one.

So bottom line: don't sweat it, enjoy the ride.

Greg

My biggest concern about dogs is that they don't see your spokes turning in your wheels and will try to step through them. I had a friend put down that way about 36 years ago. He broke a few things other than spokes.

My approach to dogs is that, if they are on a route I will be riding regularly, turn and chase them with yee old tire pump. They normally stay further away when they do chase or just don't chase any more. If I know it won't be a regular thing dealing with a certain dog and I can beat him, I out run him. If he has the angle on me, I go at him and chase him. It works.

I was on a fairly easy training ride a couple of weeks ago and in the distance, i saw two dogs just bolt out of their gate and start running toward me. I turned around and tried to sprint away but unfortunately was on a large gear at the time and couldn't get the gear spinning, ended up racing these dogs at about 25mph for over a mile, with them barking and snapping at me the whole way. Usually if I can, I get my mini pump out, but this time I had no time...very scary.

Two short stories.

First was a blue healer. I was riding out in ranch country in Northeast El Paso, TX. This beautiful young blue healer ran from the ranch house up to his fence and ran along the fence for about 50 yards with me as I rode. He was barking all the way down the fence. I did not think much of it until we got to the end of his property line and the fence. There was this huge gate that allowed horse trailers in and out and it was open. My situation now changed. The healer ran through the gate and chased me. I took off. He chased me about a mile and quit. He was a beautiful dog, young, fibrant, and fast.

Second story. Was at 0430 am or so. Again was out in the ranch country riding with headphones on. I heard a dog barking from my rear, heavy breathing, and paws striking the pavement. I looked around could not see him because it was dark. But, I knew he was close behind me. I took off and rode fast as I could for a long time and he followed me panting all the way. It was scary not seeing but only hearing him. Eventually, the barking stopped and I slowed down hoping he had moved on. On my way back, I rode with headphones off. I heard him off in the distance, far away from me.

Catrike Road #116

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

Catrike #116 said:
Two short stories.

First was a blue healer. I was riding out in ranch country in Northeast El Paso, TX. This beautiful young blue healer ran from the ranch house up to his fence and ran along the fence for about 50 yards with me as I rode. He was barking all the way down the fence. I did not think much of it until we got to the end of his property line and the fence. There was this huge gate that allowed horse trailers in and out and it was open. My situation now changed. The healer ran through the gate and chased me. I took off. He chased me about a mile and quit. He was a beautiful dog, young, fibrant, and fast.

Second story. Was at 0430 am or so. Again was out in the ranch country riding with headphones on. I heard a dog barking from my rear, heavy breathing, and paws striking the pavement. I looked around could not see him because it was dark. But, I knew he was close behind me. I took off and rode fast as I could for a long time and he followed me panting all the way. It was scary not seeing but only hearing him. Eventually, the barking stopped and I slowed down hoping he had moved on. On my way back, I rode with headphones off. I heard him off in the distance, far away from me.

Catrike Road #116

"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

Last week I had two encounters.
First one, I was riding in the country side on a very winding road and as I came riding around a corner a German Shepherd and a Labrador sat right dab in the middle of the road. They were close so I could not brake all I could do was swerve and ride past them, they both took up the chase the labrador just following barking the shepherd growling teeth flashing jumped and got me firmly by my left ankle, luckily this being a cold day in march I was wearing neoprene shoecovers riding high above the ankle. So the Shepherd dug his teeth mostly in neoprene. Luckily I managed to get loose and avoided crashing (what would have happened if I hit the ground and got bitten in the throat?????) and could ride away... adrenaline pumping hard.

This was my first really close encounter with dogs in 5 years of cycling.
So I figured this was a onetimer, made a mental note as to the location of the farm I passed and made sure not to take that road again.

3 days later I´m out again riding through a small farmers village when I hear a growl and see a pittbull storming at me at a 90 degree angle, I sped up and the dog just missed the back wheel with inches. If he had hit it I would have cartwheeled.....

The only animal encounter before that was with a friend of mine who was unlucky to get a speeding cat in his front wheel resulting in the death of the cat, a concussion and a broken collarbone for my friend and lastly a a smashed brand new trek 5500.

One can usually scare cats off when one sees them by hissing loudly but dogs is another story. After my two close encounters in the last week I am contemplating riding with pepperspray in the back pocket for protection. Not to be used liberally, but to protect me in a lifethreatening situation.

youm0nt said:
man,i hope this kind of thing never happen when im out running :eek: :eek:

Whenever a dog chased me while I was running I just turned around and ran straight at him and yelled, no! No dog ever challenged me after that.

When you are riding or running away from a dog, you are in the submissive position and it is in the dominate position. Reverse the roles and the problem is solved.