Raleigh Carlton Super Course

ohiobiker

Dec 25, 2005
I found a Raleigh Carlton Super Course in amazing condition for it's age. It is all original and I got it home, aired up the tires and rode it around the block. Where can I get good information on this bike. I googled it and browsed for a bit but nothing of consequence appeared. Thanks. Paul.

ohiobiker said:
I found a Raleigh Carlton Super Course in amazing condition for (sic) it's age.
Post photos and details and we might be able to help. Helpful details for photos would be overall geometry, frame decals, seat lug finish, lugwork, and components that might be distinctive, such as derailleurs, brakes, hubs, crank, etc.

Raleigh acquired Carlton ca. 1959-60. At first, Raleigh let them continue with their own designs and branding, but the popularity of 10-speeds during the first bike boom prompted Raleigh to consolidate brands. My question would be whether the Super Course was a Carlton model co-opted by Raleigh or a Raleigh model that was at one time produced by Carlton.

My first bike was a non-Carlton Super Course that I purchased new in the summer of 1970. At school that fall, one of my friends used to ride an older Carlton whose geometry and seat cluster closely resembled the Raleigh Grand Prix of the early 1970s.

Thanks. Right after I posted this note I found a very detailed post right here in cycling forums with links, photos, history, etc. It appears I found a good one.