Raleigh Professional or International on a trainer...

kbone

Jul 20, 2005
I have a 03 Raleigh Professional (same as the International with different paint) and the rear dropouts are such that when I mount it on a trainer they seem to rub at the mounting point (does that make sense?). I am affraid that this rubbing will damage the tubing and therfore don't ride it on a trainer. I would like to be able to and I was wondering if anyone else out there rides a Professional or an International and if they have had this same problem and what they might have done to overcome the issue. Or, if there is a trainer out there that has low profile mounts?

Thanks in advance.

I also have a Raleigh Pro, and I wouldn't want to use it on a trainer. Too nice a bike.

(I have a CylceOps. I'll try to remember to mount it and let you know how it fits.)

Thanks... They are really nice bikes but I have a lot of training to do and not much time to get out on the road so I have to put it on the trainer. Let me know how it works out on the cyclops.

Kevin

You might want to look at a roller trainer. No need to attach the bike, and I understand that they are preferred by a lot of people.

Thanks... I have rollers but I am not able to ride hard on them. I know I should smooth out my pedal stroke but in the mean time I still need to train. Oh well, thanks for checking it out and I will figure something out.

I have the Raleigh International. I ended up putting a layer of electricians tape on the trainer clamps to protect the paint on the dropouts. It seems to work 'ok'. But i need to replace the tape every once in a while.

I also have to be very careful with the skewer provided with the trainer as the different quick release lever also can bite into the paint/dropout.

riversm said:
I have the Raleigh International. I ended up putting a layer of electricians tape on the trainer clamps to protect the paint on the dropouts. It seems to work 'ok'. But i need to replace the tape every once in a while.

I also have to be very careful with the skewer provided with the trainer as the different quick release lever also can bite into the paint/dropout.

What trainer do you have? The only one I have tried was a cheap one from Performance and the skewer was too big and the clamps barely fit between the dropout tubing. When I got on the bike there was so much flex that the clamp chipped paint and I was afraid it was going to bend the tubes. And, if I had put electrical tape to protect it I am sure it would have been too big to fit or it would have cut right through the tape.

Thanks for the info,
Kevin

kbone said:
[/color]

What trainer do you have? The only one I have tried was a cheap one from Performance and the skewer was too big and the clamps barely fit between the dropout tubing. When I got on the bike there was so much flex that the clamp chipped paint and I was afraid it was going to bend the tubes. And, if I had put electrical tape to protect it I am sure it would have been too big to fit or it would have cut right through the tape.

Thanks for the info,
Kevin

Mine is a Performance model as well. Last year's Century magnetic with adjustable resistance. I have plenty of room although it isn't overly user-friendly. I've even used it as a 'work stand' for the MTB with wider rear end.

Pretty much this one, but yellow:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20983&subcategory_ID=4120#

I started to put it on the Cycleops and then realized that my groupo and hubs are different from yours. I have Shimano Ultegra and you have Campy Chorus, if I'm not mistaken?

At any rate, I get no contact on the quick release side, and about 100° contact on deraileur side, all below the chainstay boss. You could use tape or even a thin strip of rag to cushion it.