Random thought - a riding buddy could help improve your riding

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 15, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Now, i know this has come up before in the past, but i just happened to be thinking about it, and
    besides, it could be a benefit to the new folks.

    Riding alone, i know i tend to have a higher percentage of thinking geared toward exhaustion, my
    level of endurance (or lack thereof), and every little incline i have to ride up. But riding with a
    buddy, most of the time i am talking, or "showing off" (term used very lightly). i don't usually
    think about how tired i am, or every little incline. if nothing, there is a hidden competition that
    keeps me at the same rate of endurance as the person i am riding with. For instance, if i was to
    ride with one of the Pros here (again, term used lightly ;-), i would most likely keep up. of
    course, after the ride completed, i would keel over and die, but that's not the point. ;-)

    So, for all those folks out there who have trouble with endurance, find a riding buddy. it just may
    help you out. if nothing else, you will have somebody to call for help when you complete the ride,
    then keel over and
    die.;-)
    --
    ~Travis "...scanning chat rooms for a riding buddy"

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Technician wrote:

    > So, for all those folks out there who have trouble with endurance, find a riding buddy. it just
    > may help you out.

    And what are those of us without mates supposed to do?

    Congrats, I think you've won the 'stating the obvious' award for a second week in a row :)

  3. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

  4. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, myarse247 @hotmail.com says...
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > So, for all those folks out there who have trouble with endurance, find a riding buddy. it just
    > > may help you out.
    >
    > And what are those of us without mates supposed to do?

    My problem exactly. ride alone in hopes that you will meet a riding buddy on the trail.

    > Congrats, I think you've won the 'stating the obvious' award for a second week in a row :)

    "I'd like to thank the academy, my teachers, all my friends, the biking gods, Shelly, and everybody
    else who helped make this possible" ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  5. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > Now, i know this has come up before in the past, but i just happened to be thinking about it, and
    > besides, it could be a benefit to the new folks.
    >
    > Riding alone, i know i tend to have a higher percentage of thinking geared toward exhaustion, my
    > level of endurance (or lack thereof), and every little incline i have to ride up. But riding with
    > a buddy, most of the time i am talking, or "showing off" (term used very lightly). i don't usually
    > think about how tired i am, or every little incline. if nothing, there is a hidden competition
    > that keeps me at the same rate of endurance as the person i am riding with. For instance, if i was
    > to ride with one of the Pros here (again, term used lightly ;-), i would most likely keep up. of
    > course, after the ride completed, i would keel over and die, but that's not the point. ;-)
    >
    > So, for all those folks out there who have trouble with endurance, find a riding buddy. it just
    > may help you out. if nothing else, you will have somebody to call for help when you complete the
    > ride, then keel over and
    > die.;-)
    > --
    > ~Travis "...scanning chat rooms for a riding buddy"
    >
    > travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

    It's pretty true that a riding buddy can make you better and faster, depending on the buddy. One of
    my traditional riding buddies has recently gotten married and it now just fixing up his house all
    the time. He's fallen out of shape and riding with him might help his conditioning, but it just
    makes me wait around a lot. Some other guys I ride with are great because I chase them all day and
    end up riding harder than I normally would.

    I doubt you've ridden with a Pro (a pro bike racer anyway). I've tried and as much as I want to keep
    up or show off, I get thoroughly beaten unless he/she is feeling sympathetic and lets me hang. I'm
    not a pro, but I'd like to think I fall into the "Good endurance, not slow." category. I usually
    place top 10 in Sport XC races I occasionally do. The pros are waaay out of my league. They are a
    speed that I have trouble comprehending. Even the pro women are so much faster, I can only hope they
    would wait if we were on a ride together (DH for XC female pros is one exception - I can beat a
    couple, but only barely and they catch me on the climbs like I'm sitting still).

    Matt

  6. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Technician wrote:
    >
    > > So, for all those folks out there who have trouble with endurance, find a riding buddy. it just
    > > may help you out.
    >
    > And what are those of us without mates supposed to do?
    >
    > Congrats, I think you've won the 'stating the obvious' award for a second week in a row :)

    I'm not sure how obvious that is. When I ride alone (which is most of the time), I may not push
    myself as hard, but I stop much less frequently, less time for chit-chat ("did you make that?",
    "hey, did you hear about"), that sort of stuff. I never take breaks when I'm alone. So my speed is
    slower, but my tempo is faster, hopefully you know what I mean. When real training comes into the
    picture, nothing satisfies like Durango's famous Tuesday nite road ride. Yeah, I am in the B group
    (not A or even B+), but these guys are plenty fast for me. Then I notice how much faster I ride when
    I'm with others.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 15:24:51 -0600, MattB wrote:

    > It's pretty true that a riding buddy can make you better and faster, depending on the buddy.

    It really is best to have a riding buddy that is close to your own riding level. That way you can
    stick together, and when one is slacking off the other will pick up the pace (and vice versa). It
    gets old having to wait on the out-of-shape and/or inexperienced riders, just as it gets frustrating
    always falling behind a better rider.

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 15:24:51 -0600, MattB wrote:
    >
    > > It's pretty true that a riding buddy can make you better and faster, depending on the buddy.
    >
    > It really is best to have a riding buddy that is close to your own riding level. That way you can
    > stick together, and when one is slacking off the other will pick up the pace (and vice versa). It
    > gets old having to wait on the out-of-shape and/or inexperienced riders, just as it gets
    > frustrating always falling behind a better rider.

    true, so it makes my search all the more difficult. i have to find a rider, and he/she has to be
    close to my level (when i am back in shape). so far this year, i have yet to even see another rider.

    Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have only
    managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.
    --
    ~Travis

  9. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:25:27 -0400, Technician wrote:

    > true, so it makes my search all the more difficult. i have to find a rider, and he/she has to
    > be close to my level (when i am back in shape). so far this year, i have yet to even see
    > another rider.

    It really is fairly difficult, and even when you get someone at your level he might end up getting
    sidetracked to something else (my ex-bud fell to the dark side).

    > Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have only
    > managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.

    While the Internet may be great for swapping porn and insults, its likely the LAST place you'll find
    a riding bud. See if your LBS has a place to post a note. Just don't sound TOO anxious. :)

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:25:27 -0400, Technician wrote:
    >
    > > true, so it makes my search all the more difficult. i have to find a rider, and he/she has to be
    > > close to my level (when i am back in shape). so far this year, i have yet to even see another
    > > rider.
    >
    > It really is fairly difficult, and even when you get someone at your level he might end up getting
    > sidetracked to something else (my ex-bud fell to the dark side).

    Yeah, the riding bud i had seems to have fallen away from the sport (now goes mud'en with his
    redneck truck).

    > > Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have
    > > only managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.
    >
    > While the Internet may be great for swapping porn and insults, its likely the LAST place you'll
    > find a riding bud. See if your LBS has a place to post a note. Just don't sound TOO anxious. :)

    "SWM seeking average/intermediate level NS riding buddy. for area trails, and occasional travel to
    trails within the driving range of my (or your) car." too anxious? ;-)

    Would be a good idea though. but the trick is, how to make it _not_ sound like a personal ad.

    But first, i really got to build my endurance back to at least the level it was last year. so far
    from yesterday and today, i managed to double my range (2 miles to 4). so maybe within a week or
    two i can be back to my 40 mile range, or farther. 'cause at the moment i think my endurance level
    would put me in the "beginner" class, while my skills have lived through the winter. though most of
    them have to be changed to fit the new bike. i did manage to ride the wash-out that i was worried
    about (figured i would have the rear too light and eat dirt). One thing is for sure, i can feel it
    in my legs now (pops a couple ibuprophen). looks like i will have to go back on my biking diet
    (regulated amounts of carbs, protein, and so forth). i nearly bonked on this ride. but that's good,
    in a way, cause it means i used up my usable energy, so my body most likely had to start burning
    some fat. i know it is my imagination, but i can almost see more muscle definition in my legs.
    upper thighs are only 26.5" around with a good half inch or so layer of fat. i do know i have
    regained some definition on my calves. still a little weak (ankle folds under high leg torque), but
    i'm working on that.
    --
    ~Travis

  11. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > It's pretty true that a riding buddy can make you better and faster, depending on the buddy. One
    > of my traditional riding buddies has recently gotten married and it now just fixing up his house
    > all the time. He's fallen out of shape and riding with him might help his conditioning, but it
    > just makes me wait around a lot. Some other guys I ride with are great because I chase them all
    > day and end up riding harder than I normally would.
    >
    > I doubt you've ridden with a Pro (a pro bike racer anyway). I've tried and as much as I want to
    > keep up or show off, I get thoroughly beaten unless he/she is feeling sympathetic and lets me
    > hang. I'm not a pro, but I'd like to think I fall into the "Good endurance, not slow." category. I
    > usually place top 10 in Sport XC races I occasionally do. The pros are waaay out of my league.
    > They are a speed that I have trouble comprehending. Even the pro women are so much faster, I can
    > only hope they would wait if we were on a ride together (DH for XC female pros is one exception -
    > I can beat a couple, but only barely and they catch me on the climbs like I'm sitting still).
    >
    > Matt

    you guys are leaving out an important factor: riding buddy must be FUN! ( and available to ride, not
    having to wash their hair etc) I've been fortunate to ride with folks that took me under their wing
    when I was a beginner, but the fun factor has to be part of the equation... I don't mean silliness,
    I mean, not being so serious about the whole thing that it's not fun. Did that make any sense. Just
    to have a good day and come back with a smile.

    I was talking about this very thing with Kamikaze #2** today.. Big Larry is a big friend of mine
    who's a blast to do things with but a little slow on the climbs... I was telling Kath that he's
    really fun guy but not in the greatest shape. I loved what she said... as long as their fun, some of
    the best riders I know are just no fun to go out with...

    hmmm, I have to quit calling Kathleen Kamikaze #2 now, since I keep up with her all the time and she
    calls me an animal. Not sure if thaa makes me Kamikaze #3 or not. hmmm....

    penny

  12. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Now, i know this has come up before in the past, but i just happened to be thinking about it,
    > > and besides, it could be a benefit to the new folks.
    > >
    > > Riding alone, i know i tend to have a higher percentage of thinking geared toward exhaustion, my
    > > level of endurance (or lack thereof), and every little incline i have to ride up. But riding
    > > with a buddy, most of the time i am talking, or "showing off" (term used very lightly). i don't
    > > usually think about how tired i am, or every little incline. if nothing, there is a hidden
    > > competition that keeps me at the same rate of endurance as the person i am riding with. For
    > > instance, if i was to ride with one of the Pros here (again, term used lightly ;-), i would most
    > > likely keep up. of course, after the ride completed, i would keel over and die, but that's not
    > > the point. ;-)
    > >

    > It's pretty true that a riding buddy can make you better and faster, depending on the buddy. One
    > of my traditional riding buddies has recently gotten married and it now just fixing up his house
    > all the time. He's fallen out of shape and riding with him might help his conditioning, but it
    > just makes me wait around a lot. Some other guys I ride with are great because I chase them all
    > day and end up riding harder than I normally would.
    >
    > I doubt you've ridden with a Pro (a pro bike racer anyway). I've tried and as much as I want to
    > keep up or show off, I get thoroughly beaten unless he/she is feeling sympathetic and lets me
    > hang. I'm not a pro, but I'd like to think I fall into the "Good endurance, not slow." category. I
    > usually place top 10 in Sport XC races I occasionally do. The pros are waaay out of my league.
    > They are a speed that I have trouble comprehending. Even the pro women are so much faster, I can
    > only hope they would wait if we were on a ride together (DH for XC female pros is one exception -
    > I can beat a couple, but only barely and they catch me on the climbs like I'm sitting still).
    >
    > Matt

    You're right that it really depends on the buddy. I have a former riding buddy that was a good
    rider, but so "sociable with the ladies" whenever he saw a cute gal walking her dog, or resting with
    her bike, he had to stop and pour on the charm. I finally stopped riding with him.

    Then I rode a few times with a very driven expert xc racer and his pals, and he was a really nice
    guy, but never understood my need to rest after trying to keep up with him. So now I've got two
    tiers of riding buddies. The A-Team where we ride hard, have fun and take no prisoners, and the
    newbies, where I ride my SS and just have fun.

    But unlike most on this thread, I *really* push myself on solo rides, refusing to stop unless
    I'm close to dead. I don't know why, I just get really deep inside myself and it's a kinda
    mental or spiritual experience. (At least that's what the doctors in the white coats back at the
    home tell me...)

    Paladin

  13. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    > Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have only
    > managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.

    Pop on over to www.bikemojo.com (speak section) and ask Admin to add a Maine section. Put notices up
    at the LBSs, etc. and get a local forum going. I've met a lot of new biking friends from the Austin
    section. Spread the mojo.

    -will

  14. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    El Barista wrote:
    > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have only
    >> managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.
    >
    > Pop on over to www.bikemojo.com (speak section) and ask Admin to add a Maine section. Put notices
    > up at the LBSs, etc. and get a local forum going. I've met a lot of new biking friends from the
    > Austin section. Spread the mojo.
    >
    > -will

    what about just talking to people? With the exception of AMB-ID, that's how I've met all my riding
    pals. Oh wait, Travis doesn't get out much,never mind

    Penny

  15. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 May 2003 19:25:27 -0400, Technician wrote:
    >
    > > true, so it makes my search all the more difficult. i have to find a rider, and he/she has to be
    > > close to my level (when i am back in shape). so far this year, i have yet to even see another
    > > rider.
    >
    > It really is fairly difficult, and even when you get someone at your level he might end up getting
    > sidetracked to something else (my ex-bud fell to the dark side).

    The dark side? Are you saying he got married?

    > > Guess i'll just have to keep checking chatrooms. so far in the yahoo Maine chat rooms i have
    > > only managed to pick up several hundred porn bots on IM.
    >
    > While the Internet may be great for swapping porn and insults, its likely the LAST place you'll
    > find a riding bud. See if your LBS has a place to post a note. Just don't sound TOO anxious. :)

    I have had the exact oposite experience, not much luck finding folks to ride with, but plenty of
    luck meeting/ riding with folks over the internet. Mostly it's been people contacting me about my
    website but I've also found a local ride group via their mailing list on Topica.

    I also like riding with my wife and kids but they don't help my fitness much. I think I help their
    fitness quite a bit though.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

  16. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    > what about just talking to people? With the exception of AMB-ID, that's
    how
    > I've met all my riding pals. Oh wait, Travis doesn't get out much,never
    mind

    Well he's mentioned not seeing people out on the trails. If that's the case it's pretty hard to meet
    fellow bikers without stalking cars with yakima racks or checking for shin bruises. You're in a
    mountain bike-rich area, maybe Farmington and area doesn't have quit the rider saturation to make
    for chance encounters.

    -will

  17. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Technician" <[email protected]pam.megalink.net> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    <snip>

    > But unlike most on this thread, I *really* push myself on solo rides, refusing to stop unless
    > I'm close to dead. I don't know why, I just get really deep inside myself and it's a kinda
    > mental or spiritual experience. (At least that's what the doctors in the white coats back at the
    > home tell me...)
    >
    > Paladin

    That's how my solo rides usually go too. I stop to pee or make adjustments and that's about it.

    Matt

  18. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    El Barista thoughtfully penned:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >
    >> what about just talking to people? With the exception of AMB-ID, that's how I've met all my
    >> riding pals. Oh wait, Travis doesn't get out much,never mind
    >
    > Well he's mentioned not seeing people out on the trails. If that's the case it's pretty hard to
    > meet fellow bikers without stalking cars with yakima racks or checking for shin bruises. You're in
    > a mountain bike-rich area, maybe Farmington and area doesn't have quit the rider saturation to
    > make for chance encounters.
    >
    > -will

    I don't talk to folks on trails, it's at get togethers, social event, other stuff I do...

    speaking of Austin, are they ever goin to put that Team Smack Challenge back up? ( Nelson's doll go
    riding...) That was the funniest dang thing ....

    Penny

  19. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    > I don't talk to folks on trails, it's at get togethers, social event,
    other
    > stuff I do...

    Gotcha. Always good to make riding buds over a pint... Of course you still need to know someone
    having a gathering. My dive shop has a once a month beer & barbeque social that's a good way to meet
    divers, it would be cool if more LBSs did that too.

    > speaking of Austin, are they ever goin to put that Team Smack Challenge
    back
    > up? ( Nelson's doll go riding...) That was the funniest dang thing ....

    Ya lost me here. Google didn't offer me any enlightenment either.

    -will

  20. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    El Barista thoughtfully penned:
    > Penny S. wrote:
    >
    >> I don't talk to folks on trails, it's at get togethers, social event, other stuff I do...
    >
    > Gotcha. Always good to make riding buds over a pint... Of course you still need to know someone
    > having a gathering. My dive shop has a once a month beer & barbeque social that's a good way to
    > meet divers, it would be cool if more LBSs did that too.
    >
    >> speaking of Austin, are they ever goin to put that Team Smack Challenge back up? ( Nelson's doll
    >> go riding...) That was the funniest dang thing ....
    >
    > Ya lost me here. Google didn't offer me any enlightenment either.
    >
    > -will

    um, an Austin bike club had this thing up, done with GI Joes type dolls, "cookie and sporkie go
    riding" It was a photo cartoon strip deal about two testosterone poisoned males on an average day on
    the trail. It's gone now due to server overload. Pete F says he has it on his HD.

    penny