rans is looking into seat comfort complaints

Customer

Guest
big blow up on BROL with rans seat issues, seems to be 2002
and latter years rans has asked that anyone still have these
seat issues , to contact them so they can find out whats
causing it. this is not recumbent butt, its the rear edge of
the seat pan digging into the butt.

[email protected] (customer) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> big blow up on BROL with rans seat issues, seems to be
> 2002 and latter years rans has asked that anyone still
> have these seat issues , to contact them so they can find
> out whats causing it. this is not recumbent butt, its the
> rear edge of the seat pan digging into the butt.

Simple.....they cut the foam too short, it doesn't go back
far enough on the seat so you end up feeling the pan or the
bottom of the seat etc. I notice this on all my Rans bikes
2002 and up. Marci

In article
<[email protected]>, Marci
Taylor says...

>[email protected] (customer) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> big blow up on BROL with rans seat issues, seems to be
>> 2002 and latter years rans has asked that anyone still
>> have these seat issues , to contact them so they can find
>> out whats causing it. this is not recumbent butt, its the
>> rear edge of the seat pan digging into the butt.
>
>Simple.....they cut the foam too short, it doesn't go back
>far enough on the seat so you end up feeling the pan or the
>bottom of the seat etc. I notice this on all my Rans bikes
>2002 and up. Marci

Actually Marci it isn't really that simple. I have several
old and new foam pads, and while they differ a bit in
density, they are all identical in size. Having a pad that
is low in density can exacerbate the problem, but the foam
pad does not cause it.

Head over to BROL and check out some pictures I posted on
the two seats. The jury is still out, but I think the
difference is the frame.

Steve Christensen Midland, MI

I broke the seat back on my pre-2000 RANS seat last season
and they said they'd replace the entire seat for $70. It
wasn't a bad deal, but I decided I could fix the seatback
with a dowell and some J&B Weld. Seems to be working so far,
although my long term plan is to replace the RANS type seat
with an M5 type seat, for the weight reduction and
aerodynamics.

--
--Scott
"Steve Christensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Marci Taylor
> says...
> >
> >[email protected] (customer) wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >> big blow up on BROL with rans seat issues, seems to be 2002 and latter
> >> years
> >> rans has asked that anyone still have these seat issues ,
> >> to contact them so they can find out whats causing it.
> >> this is not recumbent butt, its the rear edge of the seat pan digging
> >> into the butt.
> >
> >Simple.....they cut the foam too short, it doesn't go back far enough
> >on the seat so you end up feeling the pan or the bottom of the seat
> >etc. I notice this on all my Rans bikes 2002 and up.
> >Marci
>

> Actually Marci it isn't really that simple. I have several old and new
foam
> pads, and while they differ a bit in density, they are all identical in
size.
> Having a pad that is low in density can exacerbate the problem, but the
foam pad
> does not cause it.
>
> Head over to BROL and check out some pictures I posted on the two seats.
The
> jury is still out, but I think the difference is the frame.
>
> Steve Christensen
> Midland, MI

I fixed the back of my '99 rex too, with a couple of big pop rivets and a
gob of J&B.
"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I broke the seat back on my pre-2000 RANS seat last season
> and they said they'd replace the entire seat for $70. It
> wasn't a bad deal, but I
decided
> I could fix the seatback with a dowell and some J&B Weld.
> Seems to be working so far, although my long term plan is
> to replace the RANS type
seat
> with an M5 type seat, for the weight reduction and
> aerodynamics.
>
> --
> --Scott "Steve Christensen" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>, Marci
Taylor
> > says...
> > >
> > >[email protected] (customer) wrote in message ne-
> > >ws:<[email protected]>...
latter
digging