RANS Zephyr Seat

Scott

Guest
I'm looking at purchasing a RANS Force 5 XP but I'm concerned about
the comfort of the Zephyr seat. Anyone out there been on one for
while who could give us a review?

I've ridden the Force 5 LE and love it! Waiting for a few more bucks
in the bank before I order though.

Scott
1999 V-Rex

[email protected] (Scott) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm looking at purchasing a RANS Force 5 XP but I'm concerned about
> the comfort of the Zephyr seat. Anyone out there been on one for
> while who could give us a review?
>
> I've ridden the Force 5 LE and love it! Waiting for a few more bucks
> in the bank before I order though.
>
> Scott
> 1999 V-Rex

When I testrode the Force 5 it had the Zephyr seat. My impression was
that it wasn't ready for prime time. Zach Kaplan (I believe but it
may have been another commentator) who rode it said it felt like
someone took a regular mesh seat and compressed it down. Where in a
typical seat you sit between the two seat back posts, here you sit on
them. I found that the back posts rubbed my shoulder blades. The
discomfort was immediately noted. It didn't lessen the longer I rode.
Reclining the seat helped a little but I felt like I was resting on
rails. The seat pan was also very hard. We have a Barcroft tandem
with RANS seats and I previously substituted the thinner seat pads I
got from Power on Cycling for the thicker standard pads. After
several rides we switched back. The thin pad doesn't provide a lot of
cushioning. I have read several posts with similar comments but there
have been a few posters who found the Zephyr seat more comfortable
than I. My impression (my opinion only) is that its flaws are so
obvious that they had to be noticeable during the testing process and
why they didn't deal with them is a mystery. Even extra padding along
the seat posts would help. If you want a lighter seat then look to
fibrerglass or carbon fiber or in the mesh area try the Rotator seat
like Barcroft does. This seat may be lighter but if comfort is part
of what you want your recumbent to have this seat was definitely
lacking in my opinion.

Mike S.
St. Louis, Mo.