Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: Campagnolo skeleton brakes

Started by Donald Gillies · · Last activity · 10 posts · 409 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 December 2006
Last activity
20 December 2006
Original author
Donald Gillies
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
409
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Solvang Cyclist said:

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would add to your short list of improvements of the 1970's/80's the
    move to more maintenance-free sealed bearings. (Our friend Mr.
    Gillies' objections duly noted. <grin>😉

    Disagree...sealed yes but not less maintanance..pisspoor bearings are
    pisspoor bearings, whether they be pressed in or placed in.I have a
    drawer full of a zillion different sized cart bearings..why, cuz we
    use/sell them all the time.

    Quoted message said:

    This seems like deja vu. Sure there are poor quality sealed bearings,
    just as there are poor quality open cup bearings. But how often do you
    maintain, for example, a Chris King headset?

    What's your point ?? Where else can you drop $120 on a headset other
    than a Chris King headset ?? Are you saying that sealed headsets are
    good because the most expensive headset on the planet is sealed ??
    What have you been smoking THIS WEEK ??

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  2. [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in news:em7i6e$6m2$1
    @cascade.cs.ubc.ca:

    Quoted message said:

    What's your point ?? Where else can you drop $120 on a headset other
    than a Chris King headset ?? Are you saying that sealed headsets are
    good because the most expensive headset on the planet is sealed ??
    What have you been smoking THIS WEEK ??

    Don,

    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I don't
    remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper than
    high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still solid and
    smooth with the original bearings. The bottom bracket is Klein's pressed
    in cartridge bearings - they are the originals and I currently have the
    chain off the bike for cleaning and while I can't spin the crank for
    minutes, it does spin smoothly and there's no excess play. I'm on my
    second set of wheels, the first set I sold to a friend who still uses
    them, while the "new" set are about 10 year old Hi-E sealed bearing hubs.
    Now, just as I don't think the example of your bottom bracket can be
    extrapolated to condemn all sealed bearings, my few here are not to imply
    that all sealed bearings will last as long without maintenance. But the
    point is still that seals offer longer maintenance-free life on average
    than without seals.

    Perhaps my use of Chris King as an example was a poor choice. But
    certainly the price is not due to the bearings. Given the price of Campy
    Record of the time, the bearings are a small part of the overall cost.

    In any case, I still am curious to know what the disadvantages are to
    sealed cartridge bearings of "equivalent" quality when compared to open
    cup and cone types. I'm not interested in the bottom of the line
    (department store level), but I don't think we need to talk about the
    most expensive either (my error in bring up King). What about for bikes
    priced around $1-2K?

    I wrote this in a previous thread, but got no response, so I'm quoting it
    here:

    Quoted message said:

    You continue to claim that cartridge bearings are inferior to open cup
    and cone bearings, yet you don't explain the reason. I have given an
    explanation for why I disagree. That is: Sealed bearings offer lower
    maintenance and *no* appreciable difference in feel "under normal usage
    conditions."

    Quoted message said:

    Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    me? If it's only that you can spin them longer when the chain is off,
    as I've stated, that's not how I use my bike so it's of no advantage to
    me given the extra maintenance required. If there are other advantages,
    you have yet to state them.

    Cheers,
    David

  3. Solvang Cyclist said:

    Don,

    Quoted message said:

    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I don't
    remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper than
    high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still solid and
    smooth with the original bearings.

    Your anecdote is not impressive. I bought a TREK 500 bicycle in 1985,
    with a cheapo steel Tange headset, which still works fine, was never
    ever maintained, and is not pitted. What's the point ?? Are we
    competing here for the most impressive anecdoates ?? My headset in
    today's dollars costs $100 less than your headset in today's dollars.
    Whose anecdote is more impressive now ??

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  4. [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Solvang Cyclist said:

    Don,

    Quoted message said:

    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I
    don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper
    than high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still
    solid and smooth with the original bearings.

    Your anecdote is not impressive. I bought a TREK 500 bicycle in 1985,
    with a cheapo steel Tange headset, which still works fine, was never
    ever maintained, and is not pitted. What's the point ?? Are we
    competing here for the most impressive anecdoates ?? My headset in
    today's dollars costs $100 less than your headset in today's dollars.
    Whose anecdote is more impressive now ??

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Don,

    I'm *really* trying not to get into a flame war with you, but you seem
    to be only wanting to be argumentative instead of enlightening me. Why
    did you quote my example without also quoting the rest of the paragraph:

    Quoted message said:

    Now, just as I don't think the example of your bottom bracket can be
    extrapolated to condemn all sealed bearings, my few here are not to
    imply that all sealed bearings will last as long without maintenance.
    But the point is still that seals offer longer maintenance-free life
    on average than without seals.

    You also ignored:

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps my use of Chris King as an example was a poor choice. But
    certainly the price is not due to the bearings. Given the price of
    Campy Record of the time, the bearings are a small part of the overall

    Quoted message said:

    cost.

    So forget the anecdotes, do you not agree with the following statement
    or not?

    "Seals offer longer maintenance-free life *ON AVERAGE* than without
    seals."

    Also, why do you refuse to answer my repeated question? I assure it is
    not rhetorical. Others here on r.b.t. have provided me with informative
    answers that have changed my mind on other subjects, I'm always open to
    learn. But rather than throwing out insults like asking me "what I'm
    smoking this week", perhaps you can answer my question, which I will
    once again quote here:

    Quoted message said:

    Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    me? If it's only that you can spin them longer when the chain is off,
    as I've stated, that's not how I use my bike so it's of no advantage
    to me given the extra maintenance required. If there are other
    advantages, you have yet to state them.

    Cheers,
    David

  5. Solvang Cyclist said:

    [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in news:em7i6e$6m2$1
    @cascade.cs.ubc.ca:

    Quoted message said:

    What's your point ?? Where else can you drop $120 on a headset other
    than a Chris King headset ?? Are you saying that sealed headsets are
    good because the most expensive headset on the planet is sealed ??
    What have you been smoking THIS WEEK ??

    Don,

    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I don't
    remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper than
    high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still solid and
    smooth with the original bearings. The bottom bracket is Klein's pressed
    in cartridge bearings - they are the originals and I currently have the
    chain off the bike for cleaning and while I can't spin the crank for
    minutes, it does spin smoothly and there's no excess play. I'm on my
    second set of wheels, the first set I sold to a friend who still uses
    them, while the "new" set are about 10 year old Hi-E sealed bearing hubs.
    Now, just as I don't think the example of your bottom bracket can be
    extrapolated to condemn all sealed bearings, my few here are not to imply
    that all sealed bearings will last as long without maintenance. But the
    point is still that seals offer longer maintenance-free life on average
    than without seals.

    It depends on what you call a "seal." The wipers on old Phil hub, for
    example, did not seal as well as the labrynth seals on a modern Shimano
    hub. Some modern "open bearings" are better sealed than cartridge
    bearings. I never found a really well sealed open bearing BB, though,
    and use all sealed BBs here in the PNW. I also tired of notched
    wrenches and pin spanners. I like my sealed BBs. Other sealed
    components are optional. I have a King headset on a racing bike that
    sees little rain, and I could have used a $30 Ultegra and been
    perfectly happy for the foreseeable future. I only got the King
    because it looked cool, and I got the frame free and had money to burn.
    -- Jay Beattie.

    PS -- I built a custom bike for my father in '77 and rebuilt it for the
    first time earlier this year (for resale), and all the old open
    bearings were in perfect shape. It helped that my father rode the bike
    about three times a year in California sunshine.

  6. Solvang Cyclist said:

    [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Solvang Cyclist said:

    Don,
    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I
    don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper
    than high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still
    solid and smooth with the original bearings.


    Your anecdote is not impressive. I bought a TREK 500 bicycle in 1985,
    with a cheapo steel Tange headset, which still works fine, was never
    ever maintained, and is not pitted. What's the point ?? Are we
    competing here for the most impressive anecdoates ?? My headset in
    today's dollars costs $100 less than your headset in today's dollars.
    Whose anecdote is more impressive now ??

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

    Don,

    I'm *really* trying not to get into a flame war with you, but you seem
    to be only wanting to be argumentative instead of enlightening me. Why
    did you quote my example without also quoting the rest of the paragraph:

    Quoted message said:

    Now, just as I don't think the example of your bottom bracket can be
    extrapolated to condemn all sealed bearings, my few here are not to
    imply that all sealed bearings will last as long without maintenance.
    But the point is still that seals offer longer maintenance-free life
    on average than without seals.

    You also ignored:

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps my use of Chris King as an example was a poor choice. But
    certainly the price is not due to the bearings. Given the price of
    Campy Record of the time, the bearings are a small part of the overall

    Quoted message said:

    cost.

    So forget the anecdotes, do you not agree with the following statement
    or not?

    "Seals offer longer maintenance-free life *ON AVERAGE* than without
    seals."

    Also, why do you refuse to answer my repeated question? I assure it is
    not rhetorical. Others here on r.b.t. have provided me with informative
    answers that have changed my mind on other subjects, I'm always open to
    learn. But rather than throwing out insults like asking me "what I'm
    smoking this week", perhaps you can answer my question, which I will
    once again quote here:

    Quoted message said:

    Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    me? If it's only that you can spin them longer when the chain is off,
    as I've stated, that's not how I use my bike so it's of no advantage
    to me given the extra maintenance required. If there are other
    advantages, you have yet to state them.

    Cheers,
    David

    open cup and cone is cheap, particularly in quantity. there's also the
    theoretical advantage of angular bearings with lateral load components
    to wheel life. this is opposed to cheapo "sealed" bearings that aren't
    very well sealed at all and that are designed primarily for radial
    loads. but don't let the naysayers bamboozle you. quality sealed
    bearings /do/ seal very effectively, and their deep groove design
    handles the lateral loading experienced on bike wheels quite easily.

    i'm in my second season of wet riding with a sealed bearing mavic cosmos
    rear hub. unlike its shimano predecessor, it has not required major
    bearing surgery or lubrication replacement. it has required a new pawl,
    but i think that was because it was assembled wrong. bearings are still
    like butter - no moisture or grit intrusion at all.

  7. "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    It depends on what you call a "seal."

    Yes, certainly quality seals are required.

    Quoted message said:


    PS -- I built a custom bike for my father in '77 and rebuilt it for the
    first time earlier this year (for resale), and all the old open
    bearings were in perfect shape. It helped that my father rode the bike
    about three times a year in California sunshine.

    Good point: I should note that I certainly don't ride as much as I'd
    like, and the riding I do is also in sunny Southern California. But I do
    count my average yearly mileage in multiples of thousands, so 20+ years
    is not too bad. However, once again to be totally clear: I don't assume
    that my experience can be extrapolated to everyone else.

    Cheers,
    David

  8. Solvang Cyclist said:

    [email hidden] (Donald Gillies) wrote in news:em7i6e$6m2$1
    @cascade.cs.ubc.ca:

    Quoted message said:

    What's your point ?? Where else can you drop $120 on a headset other
    than a Chris King headset ?? Are you saying that sealed headsets are
    good because the most expensive headset on the planet is sealed ??
    What have you been smoking THIS WEEK ??

    Don,

    I put together my old bike in 1983. It has a Chris King headset. I don't
    remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it was much cheaper than
    high end open cup headsets of the time. The headset is still solid and
    smooth with the original bearings. The bottom bracket is Klein's pressed
    in cartridge bearings - they are the originals and I currently have the
    chain off the bike for cleaning and while I can't spin the crank for
    minutes, it does spin smoothly and there's no excess play. I'm on my
    second set of wheels, the first set I sold to a friend who still uses
    them, while the "new" set are about 10 year old Hi-E sealed bearing hubs.
    Now, just as I don't think the example of your bottom bracket can be
    extrapolated to condemn all sealed bearings, my few here are not to imply
    that all sealed bearings will last as long without maintenance. But the
    point is still that seals offer longer maintenance-free life on average
    than without seals.

    Perhaps my use of Chris King as an example was a poor choice. But
    certainly the price is not due to the bearings. Given the price of Campy
    Record of the time, the bearings are a small part of the overall cost.

    In any case, I still am curious to know what the disadvantages are to
    sealed cartridge bearings of "equivalent" quality when compared to open
    cup and cone types.

    There are no disadvantages, just no advantages either. makes it easier
    to make a hub, cheaper.

    I'm not interested in the bottom of the line

    Quoted message said:

    (department store level), but I don't think we need to talk about the
    most expensive either (my error in bring up King). What about for bikes
    priced around $1-2K?

    I wrote this in a previous thread, but got no response, so I'm quoting it
    here:

    Quoted message said:

    You continue to claim that cartridge bearings are inferior to open cup
    and cone bearings, yet you don't explain the reason. I have given an
    explanation for why I disagree. That is: Sealed bearings offer lower
    maintenance and *no* appreciable difference in feel "under normal usage
    conditions."

    Quoted message said:

    Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    me?

    Smoother, easier to service.

    If it's only that you can spin them longer when the chain is off,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    as I've stated, that's not how I use my bike so it's of no advantage to
    me given the extra maintenance required. If there are other advantages,
    you have yet to state them.

    Cheers,
    David

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    me?

    Quoted message said:

    Smoother, easier to service.

    Tell me about it !! My MAVIC 501 hubs - the very FIRST set of sealed
    hubs that I have ever owned - are STILL clicking under load and the
    very experienced LBS has fallen flat trying to diagnose the problem.
    I've been through about $45 so far trying to fix one blasted sealed
    rear hub ...

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA

  10. Donald Gillies said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Can you please explain the advantages of open cup and cone bearings to
    > me?

    Quoted message said:

    Smoother, easier to service.

    Tell me about it !! My MAVIC 501 hubs - the very FIRST set of sealed
    hubs that I have ever owned - are STILL clicking under load and the
    very experienced LBS has fallen flat trying to diagnose the problem.
    I've been through about $45 so far trying to fix one blasted sealed
    rear hub ...

    Could the clicking be somehow related to the freewheeling mechanism
    (pawls etc.) rather than to the bearings?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.