General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Chat - foodnetwork - Kitchen Crimes

Started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan · · Last activity · 11 posts · 292 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 October 2005
Last activity
22 October 2005
Original author
Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
292
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    ~patches~ said:

    X-No-archive: yes

    jmcquown said:

    > I've only watched one show & was surprised at some of the bacterial
    > numbers & the fact this kitchen was in the home of a doctor. She
    > even
    > let her kids up onto the counter with dirty feet!
    >

    Perhaps because she's forced to work in a 'sterile' environment she
    doesn't want to deal with it at home. Could be other reasons,
    too... like she doesn't have a cleaning team or nurses to scrub
    everything up behind her.

    I wondered that myself. I wonder what her patients would think
    though seeing the state of her kitchen. It sure wouldn't add
    confidence & trust that you med professional knows what they are
    doing. Then again as long as she is sanitary at work & doesn't
    *knowingly* kill her family? DD has a couple of very adorable cats.
    They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I would not
    be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine so I say
    nothing. Still it is gross!


    I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining table...
    I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  2. Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:18:18p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > X-No-archive: yes
    >
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >
    >>> I've only watched one show & was surprised at some of the
    >>> bacterial numbers & the fact this kitchen was in the home of a
    >>> doctor. She even let her kids up onto the counter with dirty
    >>> feet!
    >>>
    >>
    >> Perhaps because she's forced to work in a 'sterile' environment
    >> she doesn't want to deal with it at home. Could be other reasons,
    >> too... like she doesn't have a cleaning team or nurses to scrub
    >> everything up behind her.
    >
    > I wondered that myself. I wonder what her patients would think
    > though seeing the state of her kitchen. It sure wouldn't add
    > confidence & trust that you med professional knows what they are
    > doing. Then again as long as she is sanitary at work & doesn't
    > *knowingly* kill her family? DD has a couple of very adorable
    > cats. They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I
    > would not be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine so
    > I say nothing. Still it is gross!
    >
    I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining
    table... I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    There are jumpers and there are non-jumpers. Short of cruelty,
    there's probably not much that will eliminate the jumping by those who
    do. Three of our five are jumpers. The other two have never even
    seen the top of the kitchen counter.

    *sigh*... There is a bright side though. I'll only have to invite mother
    to dinner one more time.

    Michael

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  3. On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:18:18p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    ~patches~ said:

    X-No-archive: yes

    jmcquown wrote:

    >> I've only watched one show & was surprised at some of the bacterial
    >> numbers & the fact this kitchen was in the home of a doctor. She
    >> even let her kids up onto the counter with dirty feet!
    >>
    >
    > Perhaps because she's forced to work in a 'sterile' environment she
    > doesn't want to deal with it at home. Could be other reasons,
    > too... like she doesn't have a cleaning team or nurses to scrub
    > everything up behind her.

    I wondered that myself. I wonder what her patients would think
    though seeing the state of her kitchen. It sure wouldn't add
    confidence & trust that you med professional knows what they are
    doing. Then again as long as she is sanitary at work & doesn't
    *knowingly* kill her family? DD has a couple of very adorable cats.
    They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I would not
    be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine so I say
    nothing. Still it is gross!


    I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining table...
    I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    There are jumpers and there are non-jumpers. Short of cruelty, there's
    probably not much that will eliminate the jumping by those who do. Three
    of our five are jumpers. The other two have never even seen the top of the
    kitchen counter.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  4. On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:33:06p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:18:18p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >> X-No-archive: yes
    >>
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>> I've only watched one show & was surprised at some of the
    >>>> bacterial numbers & the fact this kitchen was in the home of a
    >>>> doctor. She even let her kids up onto the counter with dirty
    >>>> feet!
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps because she's forced to work in a 'sterile' environment
    >>> she doesn't want to deal with it at home. Could be other reasons,
    >>> too... like she doesn't have a cleaning team or nurses to scrub
    >>> everything up behind her.
    >>
    >> I wondered that myself. I wonder what her patients would think
    >> though seeing the state of her kitchen. It sure wouldn't add
    >> confidence & trust that you med professional knows what they are
    >> doing. Then again as long as she is sanitary at work & doesn't
    >> *knowingly* kill her family? DD has a couple of very adorable
    >> cats. They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I
    >> would not be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine so
    >> I say nothing. Still it is gross!
    >>
    > I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    > bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    > She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    > brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining
    > table... I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    There are jumpers and there are non-jumpers. Short of cruelty,
    there's probably not much that will eliminate the jumping by those who
    do. Three of our five are jumpers. The other two have never even
    seen the top of the kitchen counter.

    *sigh*... There is a bright side though. I'll only have to invite mother
    to dinner one more time.

    Michael

    Can't you keep her (your mother) out of the kitchen?

    Well, there can be other issues, come to think of it. We had friends over
    for dinner one night and I thought I had secured the diningroom. Wrong. I
    walked in and caught Popie eating the butter out of the butter dish.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  5. X-No-archive: yes

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining table...
    I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Ours was easy to train just by raising our voice & saying no. DS uses a
    spray bottle of water. When his cat does something he or DDIL doesn't
    like they give a little spritz of water at it. The cat is to the point
    that just seeing the bottle is all that's needed. DD & DSIL just let
    their cats get away with murder but I've noticed there is more of the
    loud no thing. I think most cats respond well to the tone of your voice
    & if you reward them with a kitty treat when they do what you want it
    will reinforce the good behaviour.

    Quoted message said:


    Michael

  6. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:


    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    Do you have a water pistol? Use it!

    Actually, not tolerating any jumping will do it. All you need to do
    is to take him off the surface and unceremoniously drop him to the
    floor every time you catch him there. It takes a while, but if you
    don't stop to coo and pet him while you put him on the floor,
    eventually he'll get the idea it's not OK. Make sure your voice
    doesn't sound nice when you catch him on the counter and if you have
    to touch him, make sure there is nothing that makes it worthwhile.
    Pick up and drop (not throw) is my method. He'll get the message....
    but to be honest it may take a couple of years to sink in.

  7. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    I'll only have to invite mother to dinner one more time.

    Don't stop there, give us the dish!

  8. Wayne Boatwright said:

    On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:33:06p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote
    in news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:18:18p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email hidden]:
    >
    >> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>> X-No-archive: yes
    >>>
    >>> jmcquown wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> DD has a couple of very adorable
    >>> cats. They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I
    >>> would not be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine
    >>> so I say nothing. Still it is gross!
    >>>
    >> I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    >> bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    >> She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    >> brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining
    >> table... I was appalled.
    >
    > Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    > counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?
    >
    > Michael
    >

    There are jumpers and there are non-jumpers. Short of cruelty,
    there's probably not much that will eliminate the jumping by those
    who do. Three of our five are jumpers. The other two have never
    even
    seen the top of the kitchen counter.

    *sigh*... There is a bright side though. I'll only have to invite
    mother to dinner one more time.

    Michael

    Can't you keep her (your mother) out of the kitchen?

    Well, there can be other issues, come to think of it. We had friends
    over for dinner one night and I thought I had secured the diningroom.
    Wrong. I walked in and caught Popie eating the butter out of the
    butter dish.

    ROFL! I'm sorry, but I can just picture the cat sitting there, oooh!
    butter! Thanks so much for the treat!

    Jill

  9. On Fri 21 Oct 2005 02:59:36a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, there can be other issues, come to think of it. We had friends
    over for dinner one night and I thought I had secured the diningroom.
    Wrong. I walked in and caught Popie eating the butter out of the
    butter dish.

    ROFL! I'm sorry, but I can just picture the cat sitting there, oooh!
    butter! Thanks so much for the treat!

    Yes, she looked very proud of herself!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________

    http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

    Meet Mr. Bailey

  10. Wayne Boatwright <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri 21 Oct 2005 02:59:36a, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    Quoted message said:

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, there can be other issues, come to think of it. We had friends
    over for dinner one night and I thought I had secured the diningroom.
    Wrong. I walked in and caught Popie eating the butter out of the
    butter dish.

    ROFL! I'm sorry, but I can just picture the cat sitting there, oooh!
    butter! Thanks so much for the treat!

    Yes, she looked very proud of herself!

    And what is it with cheese? Hoot will not lower herself to eating it but
    she will sit there and lick it to death. Ramsey is like a goat, he'll eat
    anything. He stole a piece of carrot out of my salad the other day, ran off
    and guarded it for awhile and then ate it.

    Michael <- loves all 6 of his babies... 2 human not so babies and 4 baby
    babies

    --
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  11. "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    ~patches~ said:

    X-No-archive: yes

    jmcquown wrote:

    >> I've only watched one show & was surprised at some of the bacterial
    >> numbers & the fact this kitchen was in the home of a doctor. She
    >> even
    >> let her kids up onto the counter with dirty feet!
    >>
    >
    > Perhaps because she's forced to work in a 'sterile' environment she
    > doesn't want to deal with it at home. Could be other reasons,
    > too... like she doesn't have a cleaning team or nurses to scrub
    > everything up behind her.

    I wondered that myself. I wonder what her patients would think
    though seeing the state of her kitchen. It sure wouldn't add
    confidence & trust that you med professional knows what they are
    doing. Then again as long as she is sanitary at work & doesn't
    *knowingly* kill her family? DD has a couple of very adorable cats.
    They are allowed to wander over the counters at desire. I would not
    be able to tolerate that but it's her kitchen not mine so I say
    nothing. Still it is gross!


    I have a cat. She does NOT jump up on counters (except in the
    bathroom but not even that anymore since she got her own fountain.
    She was just trying to drink from the running water). My oldest
    brother had cats leaping on the kitchen counters, the dining table...
    I was appalled.

    Well, I want to train Ramsey right from the get go to stay off the
    counters. Any ideas on how to train him without being nasty to him?

    Michael

    A spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water works wonders!

    Bret

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.