General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Hershey's Favorite Recipes

Started by Ranee Mueller · · Last activity · 15 posts · 312 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 January 2005
Last activity
7 January 2005
Original author
Ranee Mueller
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
312
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael said:

    What cookbooks are your favorites? I saw a really
    nice cake cookbook by a lady named Rosenbaum or
    something like that and it is evidently a classic
    and was copyrighted way back. It had a rolled
    chocolate fondant that looked wonderful.

    If it's the Cake Bible, it is worth the price simply for the
    Neoclassic Buttercream. You can always check these books out from the
    library first, too, to see what they are about.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    --
    Remove Do Not and Spam to email

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  2. Ranee wrote:

    If it's the Cake Bible, it is worth the price simply for the
    Neoclassic Buttercream.

    *******
    Yes, it's Rose's CAKE BIBLE. I've been hanging out at
    Borders bookstore for an hour or two on the weekends,
    copying recipes out of books I'm too cheap to buy. I've
    been spending a lot of time with Rose.

    I ordered a book called 20 Easy Cakes, and it came
    yesterday, but I was kind of disappointed with it. It uses
    more rolled fondant than what I'm interested in.

    Michael

  3. Michael said:

    Ranee wrote:

    If it's the Cake Bible, it is worth the price simply for the
    Neoclassic Buttercream.

    *******
    Yes, it's Rose's CAKE BIBLE. I've been hanging out at
    Borders bookstore for an hour or two on the weekends,
    copying recipes out of books I'm too cheap to buy. I've
    been spending a lot of time with Rose.

    I ordered a book called 20 Easy Cakes, and it came
    yesterday, but I was kind of disappointed with it. It uses
    more rolled fondant than what I'm interested in.

    Michael

    A great source for cookbooks is www.newbookscheap.com. The prices are
    1/2 the retail and they ship media rate. The Cake Bible is priced at
    $17.50. I have bought from them several times and have been very
    satisfied with the service.

    www.ecookbooks.com (Jessica's Biscuit) also has some good prices.

    And there is always www.amazon.com. Usually pretty good prices and no
    shipping on orders over $25.00. I think they are out of everything
    right this minute. Most of the things I ordered after Christmas are
    on back order. I'm not in any hurry.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  4. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:11:31 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A great source for cookbooks is www.newbookscheap.com. The prices are
    1/2 the retail and they ship media rate. The Cake Bible is priced at
    $17.50. I have bought from them several times and have been very
    satisfied with the service.

    I second your recommendation. They're amazing. And, if I remember
    correctly, proceeds of sales go to a military or veteran's fund.

    Carol
    --
    "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

    *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  5. Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:11:31 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A great source for cookbooks is www.newbookscheap.com. The prices are
    1/2 the retail and they ship media rate. The Cake Bible is priced at
    $17.50. I have bought from them several times and have been very
    satisfied with the service.

    I second your recommendation. They're amazing. And, if I remember
    correctly, proceeds of sales go to a military or veteran's fund.

    Carol

    I just checked the site again and saw nothing about proceeds going to
    a veteran's fund. David Sprigg (the owner) is the holder of a purple
    heart from Vietnam and a member of the Military Order of the Purple
    Heart. I gather that New Books Cheap provides their livelihood.
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  6. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:39:00 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:11:31 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A great source for cookbooks is www.newbookscheap.com. The prices are
    1/2 the retail and they ship media rate. The Cake Bible is priced at
    $17.50. I have bought from them several times and have been very
    satisfied with the service.

    I second your recommendation. They're amazing. And, if I remember
    correctly, proceeds of sales go to a military or veteran's fund.

    Carol

    I just checked the site again and saw nothing about proceeds going to
    a veteran's fund. David Sprigg (the owner) is the holder of a purple
    heart from Vietnam and a member of the Military Order of the Purple
    Heart. I gather that New Books Cheap provides their livelihood.

    From: http://www.newbookscheap.com/about_new_books_cheap.htm :
    "Most of what little profit there is goes to the Military Order Of The
    Purple Heart. "I have calculated just how much I need to live on, and it
    is calculated in such a way that when I die, I will be back to zero, just
    as I was when I came in. The Army will pay for my funeral, and then I'm
    done. Till then, I'll continue to lose a certain amount of money each
    month, year in and year out, until the bank account is empty. By then,
    they'll be pulling the plug on life support, and I'll be content in the
    knowledge that I'll have done all that I could to achieve my goal of
    helping all that I can."

    Carol
    --
    "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

    *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  7. The Cook said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:11:31 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A great source for cookbooks is www.newbookscheap.com. The prices are
    1/2 the retail and they ship media rate. The Cake Bible is priced at
    $17.50. I have bought from them several times and have been very
    satisfied with the service.

    I second your recommendation. They're amazing. And, if I remember
    correctly, proceeds of sales go to a military or veteran's fund.

    Carol

    I just checked the site again and saw nothing about proceeds going to
    a veteran's fund. David Sprigg (the owner) is the holder of a purple
    heart from Vietnam and a member of the Military Order of the Purple
    Heart. I gather that New Books Cheap provides their livelihood.

    Did another look at the page and you are correct Carol. Next time
    maybe I will read the whole thing before I start typing.

    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  8. Thank you, Susan and Carol, for recommending the newbookscheap
    place. That is a great price! I think it lists for $35 at Borders,
    and
    that is a lot for me to pay for a book, even a nice one like Rose's.

    And I can understand you not seeing the message about where the
    profit goes to at the site, Susan. I struggle to find even the most
    basic information at a lot of web sites.

    And that is wonderful that the profits go for a good cause.
    Thanks again, Michael

  9. On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:43:51 -0500, The Cook <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Did another look at the page and you are correct Carol. Next time
    maybe I will read the whole thing before I start typing.

    <G> Who'd think you'd have to go through the whole site? Ya done good.

    Carol
    --
    "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

    *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  10. I was starting to feel guilty because I got the Hershey's Best-Loved
    Recipes cookbook for Christmas and had yet to make anything new
    from it, so I made the Easy Rich No-Bake Chocolate Cheescake
    last night. I have only made one cheesecake before, the one inside
    the Philadelphia cream cheese package, and I have been wanting to
    try a chocolate cheesecake. The no-bake part of it fit in with my
    schedule, too. It was getting late in the evening and I didn't really
    relish the idea of sitting around for an hour waiting for it to bake.

    It came out pretty good considering that I forgot one of the major
    ingredients. Haha! It calls to beat the basic ingredients together
    and then pour in melted chocolate and beat it some more and then
    blend in whipped cream. I forgot the cream! I figured it would come
    out hard as a rock but it wasn't bad at all. Cheesecakes tend towards
    the "heavy" side in texture, anyway.

    Oh! I also had to use a different crust. It called for one made with
    almonds and vanilla wafers, but I used graham cracker, walnuts, and
    a heaping tablespoon of cocoa for mine, and baked it for 8 minutes
    to set it.

    I also got to use my new springform pan for this. Very nice! The
    first one I did ended up more like cheesecake bars, done up in two
    baking pans.

    Michael

  11. Michael said:

    Oh! I also had to use a different crust. It called for one made with
    almonds and vanilla wafers, but I used graham cracker, walnuts, and
    a heaping tablespoon of cocoa for mine, and baked it for 8 minutes
    to set it.

    How about crushed Oreos?

    Carol
    --
    "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
    'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
    Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

    *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

  12. Damsel wrote:

    How about crushed Oreos?

    *************
    I've heard they make a good crust. A friend of mine says he runs them
    through his food processor. But I didn't have any. I've found that as
    far
    as baking cookies and cakes, I can maintain a standard stock of about
    15 or 20 items and I've got what I need for at least 50% of the
    recipes.
    It's a 20 minute drive into town, so I've learned to improvise when I
    don't
    have exactly what's called for.

    Michael

  13. Damsel <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On 7 Jan 2005 05:02:09 -0800, "Michael" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Oh! I also had to use a different crust. It called for one made
    with almonds and vanilla wafers, but I used graham cracker,
    walnuts, and a heaping tablespoon of cocoa for mine, and baked it
    for 8 minutes to set it.

    How about crushed Oreos?

    Carol

    I've used oreos, graham waffers, almonds and Black Brazillian Cocoa...the
    black cocoa was to get a nice even color.

    --
    Starchless in Manitoba.
    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl

  14. Hahabogus wrote about cheesecake crusts:

    I've used oreos, graham waffers, almonds and Black Brazillian
    Cocoa...the
    black cocoa was to get a nice even color.

    *****************
    That's an interesting cocoa. I've heard of the Dutch chocolate
    variety, and I've kept my eye out at the grocery store, but I've
    never seen any but the standard kind.

    Michael

  15. "Michael" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hahabogus wrote about cheesecake crusts:

    I've used oreos, graham waffers, almonds and Black Brazillian
    Cocoa...the
    black cocoa was to get a nice even color.

    *****************
    That's an interesting cocoa. I've heard of the Dutch chocolate
    variety, and I've kept my eye out at the grocery store, but I've
    never seen any but the standard kind.

    Michael

    I "found" the Black Brazillian cocoa at a scoop and weigh store. And I
    buy Dutch Cocoa from penzey's.

    --
    Starchless in Manitoba.
    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.