General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

re; How i spent

Started by Doug Freese · · Last activity · 156 posts · 3,881 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 January 2006
Last activity
22 January 2006
Original author
Doug Freese
Posts
156
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,881
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 156
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tony S. said:

    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, an acquaintance of mine, someone I'd climbed
    with, was recently tragically killed pursuing his
    passion on Kilimanjaro and whether one is rich or
    not makes zero difference (he wasn't, and neither
    is any other world class climbers I know.) The
    point being average people of average means aspire
    to and do extraordinary things. And it has nothing
    to do with your idiot opinion.

    Interjecting into this debate -- with due respect, since I don't know


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    friend or his motives, I have to agree with Donovan in part in that many


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the extreme adventure want-to-be explorers are indeed rich folks or at


    least

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    people with enough connections to finance their quests, meaning they


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rich supporters.

    There was a show this week on public television about Denali in Alaska.


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was about why so many climbers die trying to climb the mountain. Well,
    somewhat obviously, it's the altitude combined with being so far north,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    they were studying the environment's effects on a person's core


    temperature.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1000 people attempt Denali every year and there are always deaths. As I
    watched it I thought that probably 900 of the 1000 people who attempt


    Denali

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    every year have no business being there and are rich dumbasses out for
    bragging rights or wanting to be adventurers, some of whom die and many


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    whom come away with severe frostbite.

    But I wouldn't include them as true climbers. I'd call them
    ecoadventurers or something along those lines. I would agree with Phil
    about the average climber, backpacker, etc. (not ecoadventurer).
    Climbers that I knew from school usually lived in tents in base camp
    (say, Tetons) and just lived hand to mouth. If you don't have many
    expenses, you don't need much income. Heck, one of the guys I knew

    I accept what you say, they're not all rich folks. It's hard to evaluate
    things from afar, indeed. For those real outdoors people who love it, and
    who take the time to learn how to climb and survive, it's all good. I'll use
    a well known example, Amundsen and Scott, the race to the pole. Amundsen
    first learned everything he could about what worked best for the various
    aspects of the expedition. He did it in a very smart, well-tesed way. Scott,
    and I'm not doubting his amount courage here, did it in a completely dumbass
    way, and that makes his courage border on stupidity. The people trying to
    climb Denali without proper experience don't belong there and are risking
    the lives of rescuers, not just their own. So whether it's 900 of 1000 or
    600 of 1000 that truely don't belong there, I don't know. My own cousin
    attempted Denali and almost died, and I'm the first to say he was a dumbass
    for trying it without the proper experience.

    Quoted message said:

    bicycled around the world (maybe 30 yr ago, obviously using boats when
    needed), giving guest talks and working as he went to raise money, then
    wrote a book (The Long Ride). One of my former techs (not rich) became
    the first documented woman to solo Denali the year after she worked for
    me (there was a case many years before but there were many, many
    questions as to whether the earlier one happeneed). Her general
    employment at the time was guiding - Denali (usually working for a
    guiding service) and elsewhere on her own or with husband. No doubt she
    took up some of the 900 that maybe didn't belong there. Some of my local
    friends who have climbed Denali were probably well off (both husband and
    wife worked) while others were below average income. But they definitely
    had jobs with limited vacation time. Of course, some of those I know
    now, just work part time or for non-profits or whatever - just enough to
    pay the bills while they live life to the fullest.

    I obviously can't judge your friends who climbed Denali. I guess the point I
    was making is that to me what motivates people is the most important, and
    jumping into something way beyond your experience is an egotistical dumbass,
    or deliberately suicidal, thing to do. Your guide friend obviously had the
    experience.

    Quoted message said:

    Some adventurers (not ecoadventurers) may be well off and have good
    connections. But there's some who just have interesting backgrounds /
    aspirations that either do it hand-to-mouth or can get funding.

    I agree, I don't really have a bone to pick with any of these people who
    really love it. I've always enjoyed reading about adventurers, climbers and
    such. For example, I didn't stop at reading "into thin air", I also read 2
    other accounts of the same events.

    Quoted message said:

    And in modern society, there's no doubt many well-off middle-age crisis
    folks that are doing these various adventures and maybe retired early.
    And some may be knowledgeable climbers or whatever but got trapped
    behind a desk.

    Quoted message said:

    There's a full spectrum of motives for people to do extreme things. For
    those who truly love it, they would do it and not brag about it, and


    would

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    know how to do it without undue risk.

    agreed.

    I judge things somewhat randomly. For

    Quoted message said:

    example, I think it's very cool that they have the iditarod race as I


    think

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it's a real epic and it keeps a history of the place alive.

    Were you aware that the Iditarod sleddog race goes essentially a
    completely different route from the Serum run route, that it supposedly
    commemorates?

    Actually, I suspected that, but didn't know exactly. I still think it's
    cool.

    Quoted message said:

    However, I

    Quoted message said:

    dislike what I consider the publicity minded stunts that Dean K. enjoys
    doing. It could be argued in his case that he's doing it for charity,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    something tells me it's really more part of his career publicity grand


    plan

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    than charity.

    I'm not gonna get into this nonsense on pretending to know what goes
    through runners' minds or bashing other runners, but if you take the
    time to read about some of the other runners, like some you have praised
    in posts to this group, you will find they are not as perfect as you
    seem to imply (some that you have praised do things that I detest).

    Right, nobody really knows what motivates runners or anyone, but to me
    that's exactly what matters. You just have to go with your impressions.
    Someone who writes books and gives interviews is fair game to be evaluated
    on their public expressions. I don't think anybody is perfect, but I'm
    curious, who did I praise that did things you detest and why?

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    But I respect them all as runners. And they all do things that can be
    misinterpreted.

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  2. "Black Metal Martha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Tony S. said:

    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, an acquaintance of mine, someone I'd climbed
    with, was recently tragically killed pursuing his
    passion on Kilimanjaro and whether one is rich or
    not makes zero difference (he wasn't, and neither
    is any other world class climbers I know.) The
    point being average people of average means aspire
    to and do extraordinary things. And it has nothing
    to do with your idiot opinion.

    Interjecting into this debate -- with due respect, since I don't know


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    friend or his motives, I have to agree with Donovan in part in that many


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the extreme adventure want-to-be explorers are indeed rich folks or at


    least

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    people with enough connections to finance their quests, meaning they


    have

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rich supporters.

    There was a show this week on public television about Denali in Alaska.


    It

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was about why so many climbers die trying to climb the mountain. Well,
    somewhat obviously, it's the altitude combined with being so far north,


    but

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    they were studying the environment's effects on a person's core


    temperature.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    1000 people attempt Denali every year and there are always deaths. As I
    watched it I thought that probably 900 of the 1000 people who attempt


    Denali

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    every year have no business being there and are rich dumbasses out for
    bragging rights or wanting to be adventurers, some of whom die and many


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    whom come away with severe frostbite.

    Intersting subject on Denali. My father was a mountaineer long before,
    and I mean loonnggg before it was trendy. He climbed Mt. Shasta and Mt.
    Raineer, but decided not to climb Denali because he had two small girls
    (me being one of them) at home. He wasn't going risk his life and the
    chance that he'd leave us fatherless.

    Sounds like an intelligent decison. It's hard to separate mountaineers from
    adventurers from ego-aventurers (ahem, eco-) from the stunt pullers from the
    epic racers from the simple ultra runners. I guess my point about Denali was
    about the inexperiened people who go up there to bag it and brag, but as Dot
    pointed out, many experiened climbers also climb it, who aren't all rich. I
    was rash, and don't know how the spectrum of motives breaks down. It sounds
    like your dad loved climbing, pure and simple.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    He used to say Denali is tougher much of the time to climb than Everest
    because of the weather, from what he'd read and talked to with other
    climbers.

    Since then, He's been to Alaska traveling many times and has been to
    Everest Base Camp.

    He's now 84 years old and is in perfect health for someone of his
    advanced years.

    I've done some wall and rock climbing a few years ago, though I'd
    really like to climb Shasta maybe next year because Dad did it. : )

    Quoted message said:

    Martha

  3. "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No, it doesn't imply that at all. At worst, it implies that ultra
    runners are
    (1) white, (2) rich, and (3) have too much time on their hands. I
    admit that
    this is a stereotype and really only applies to a certain fringe
    element of
    ultra runners.

    For the sake of discussion and to tone down the heat let's just address
    the above statement and specifically ultra runners in the US. I agree
    with (1). (2) is partially true but not the way most think. When people
    submit their Bio's to the Big ultra list they do provide educational
    background. I would say that about 90-95% are professionals with at
    least a bachelors degree, many masters, and a pile of PhDs. One could
    assume in general that being better educated, one would likely have
    better jobs and a few dollars in their pockets - most likely middle to
    upper middle class. Rich is an exaggeration unless compared to the
    homeless person sleeping on a park bench. (3) Too much time - I have no
    idea what too much time means. Maybe it's back to a education, a better
    jobs and more vacation to do these things.

    Back to (1). Why are all the ultra crazies white? Maybe Dan,
    Trailrunner and Phil can help but in the ultra races that I do in the
    NE there are at best 5 blacks total in a race of 300. In the 50k I did
    the other day of the 71 there were zero. My point, there are so few
    blacks and why all the whacko's are white. An interesting question
    might be, why are there so few? If we were talking about golf, it's a
    good old boy network of white racists. OTOH, I know of no overt or
    covert effort to keep blacks from running any race at any distance.

    I have no idea why there are so few in the ultra world but I'd bet if we
    did have proportionally more we would also black whacko's which would be
    dubbed rich and have too much time on their hands.

    -DF

  4. Quoted message said:

    You keep blabbering that you could easily win these trail


    races -- so many of us are wondering if you will ever back up those
    words.
    __

    some i could win, some i could medal..within my AG...I've told you the
    ones I sense I could win...and some I could place?...this Skunk Cabbage
    Classic Half-Marathon in Itacha in April....yeah...I think so. I even
    look at events like the Lake Placid Half-Marathon...doubt I could place
    in my AG...but I would be a top 20 finisher over all.....for sure.
    Look...I am just being honest with how the landscape looks away from
    NYC...and that's thin on competition relative to our norm. You gotta
    remember...I am used to taking 160th place overall......25th in my age
    group, etc...[censored] like that. Hell last September I ran a 1 mile race
    @ 5:23 and did not make the top 20 in my age group. when i did
    6:09/mile over 5 in a 5 mile race I did not crack the top 20 in my age
    group. i could find 100 races in upstate NY where my 5 mile time would
    win my age group. i'll be 43 next month and i will have a stronger
    '06 than '05, once i get healthy and back on my wheels. the only
    thing upstate that looks compelling is the boilermaker....but i am
    afraid to enter it because i would hate to have pendejo kick my ass.

    scan results at
    http://www.runningintheusa.com

  5. Tony S. said:

    There's a full spectrum of motives for people to do extreme things. For
    those who truly love it, they would do it and not brag about it, and would
    know how to do it without undue risk. I judge things somewhat randomly. For
    example, I think it's very cool that they have the iditarod race as I think
    it's a real epic and it keeps a history of the place alive. However, I
    dislike what I consider the publicity minded stunts that Dean K. enjoys
    doing. It could be argued in his case that he's doing it for charity, but
    something tells me it's really more part of his career publicity grand plan
    than charity.

    This all started with Donovan responding that ultra trailblazers were
    ALL rich, white men. Nothing could be farther from the truth and just
    goes to show his ignorance on this subject. And to use DK as the typical
    representation of this group is no better than me using Tyrell Owens or
    Ron Artest as the typical representation of the black athlete. I
    personally know a few folks who are into speed records on trails and
    they are your typical cross section of America. Included are a doctor
    who has been doing this type of thing since he could walk as he started
    by backpacking with his dad and his dad still provides logistical
    support for him now. A girl who works at a health food store and spends
    every dime she makes (which ain't much) on her running adventures and a
    50+ YO carpenter who also just happens to be black.

    --
    - The Trailrunner

    Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

    Trails of the Diablo Valley
    *Running - Hiking - Nature*
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

  6. Donovan Rebbechi said:

    No, it doesn't imply that at all. At worst, it implies that ultra runners are
    (1) white, (2) rich, and (3) have too much time on their hands. I admit that
    this is a stereotype and really only applies to a certain fringe element of
    ultra runners.

    And what fringe element would that be?

    --
    - The Trailrunner

    Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

    Trails of the Diablo Valley
    *Running - Hiking - Nature*
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

  7. Tony S. said:

    "Black Metal Martha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Intersting subject on Denali. My father was a mountaineer long before,
    and I mean loonnggg before it was trendy. He climbed Mt. Shasta and Mt.
    Raineer, but decided not to climb Denali because he had two small girls
    (me being one of them) at home. He wasn't going risk his life and the
    chance that he'd leave us fatherless.

    Sounds like an intelligent decison. It's hard to separate mountaineers from
    adventurers from ego-aventurers (ahem, eco-) from the stunt pullers from the
    epic racers from the simple ultra runners. I guess my point about Denali was
    about the inexperiened people who go up there to bag it and brag, but as Dot
    pointed out, many experiened climbers also climb it, who aren't all rich. I
    was rash, and don't know how the spectrum of motives breaks down. It sounds
    like your dad loved climbing, pure and simple.

    -Tony


    He's proof positive of healthy living, he's always been in great shape,
    eaten right, hardly drank alcohol and never smoked. : )

    Martha

  8. Doug Freese said:

    Back to (1). Why are all the ultra crazies white?

    You've got to get out of your neck of the woods more Doug. While I agree
    in general about the number of blacks, there are other colors besides
    white and black. Here in NorCal, Hispanics, Asians of all nationalities
    (Chinese, Vietnamese, Philippine, Korean, etc), Indians/Pakistanis not
    to mention a smattering middle easterners, are all well represented at
    our ultras. As matter of fact, in my running group, as a white guy, I'm
    usually in the minority on our group runs as white guys are outnumbered
    both by gender and ethnicity!

    --
    - The Trailrunner

    Anti-Spam Alert: If you wish to reply, cut the *BS*

    Trails of the Diablo Valley
    *Running - Hiking - Nature*
    http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/trails/6016/

  9. "The Trailrunner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Freese said:

    Back to (1). Why are all the ultra crazies white?

    You've got to get out of your neck of the woods more Doug.

    I agree, send tickets. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    While I agree in general about the number of blacks, there are other
    colors besides white and black. Here in NorCal, Hispanics, Asians of
    all nationalities (Chinese, Vietnamese, Philippine, Korean, etc),
    Indians/Pakistanis not to mention a smattering middle easterners, are
    all well represented at our ultras. As matter of fact, in my running
    group, as a white guy, I'm usually in the minority on our group runs
    as white guys are outnumbered both by gender and ethnicity!

    I'm glad to see the better representation on the west coast. I would
    guess we have at best 3% at a race if we include all the minority
    groups.

    _DF

  10. Tony S. said:


    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, an acquaintance of mine, someone I'd climbed
    with, was recently tragically killed pursuing his
    passion on Kilimanjaro and whether one is rich or
    not makes zero difference (he wasn't, and neither
    is any other world class climbers I know.) The
    point being average people of average means aspire
    to and do extraordinary things. And it has nothing
    to do with your idiot opinion.

    Interjecting into this debate -- with due respect, since I don't know your
    friend or his motives, I have to agree with Donovan in part in that many of
    the extreme adventure want-to-be explorers are indeed rich folks or at least
    people with enough connections to finance their quests, meaning they have
    rich supporters.

    Well, you're wrong there. It doesn't in fact cost
    a lot of money these days to take a trip to
    Kilimanjaro or Chile's Aconcagua. Lots of peeple
    I know climb these summits and all are working
    stiffs...So, finanaces aside, the real issue is
    whether some (because it is so cheap) _should_
    be attempting these. My acquaintance died in a
    freak unforseeable accident, but was a qualified
    climber. Many people though are tourists (unskilled
    and out of shape) who sign up on commercial "treks"
    and get into trouble. Another friend of mine often
    gets hired to lead such treks in the Himalaya and
    always has people who aren't prepared for the
    physical requirements.

    Quoted message said:

    There was a show this week on public television about Denali in Alaska. It
    was about why so many climbers die trying to climb the mountain. Well,
    somewhat obviously, it's the altitude combined with being so far north, but
    they were studying the environment's effects on a person's core temperature.
    1000 people attempt Denali every year and there are always deaths. As I
    watched it I thought that probably 900 of the 1000 people who attempt Denali
    every year have no business being there and are rich dumbasses out for
    bragging rights or wanting to be adventurers, some of whom die and many of
    whom come away with severe frostbite.

    Doesn't take a lot of money there either (i.e., average
    working stiff could afford it.) Maybe you're right a lot
    of climbers may not be fully prepared. Still it ain't
    quite that simple. 1) Everyone reacts to altitude and
    cold differently. High altitude physiology varies
    person to person. 2) Denali's weather is the main
    factor. It has some of the worst mountain weather on
    earth and is why so few actually summit and also why
    people can die there. Storms can roll in unexpectedly
    and trap climbers in their tents for days creating
    survival situations. Like with an exhausted marathoner
    who pushes too hard to get to the finish line for a PB,
    some climbers will try for the summit instead of turning
    back.

    Quoted message said:

    There's a full spectrum of motives for people to do extreme things. For
    those who truly love it, they would do it and not brag about it, and would
    know how to do it without undue risk.

    Isn't that what we're talking about here? That's
    most people -- trailrunners, climbers, even explorers
    like Amundsen. Putting all trailrunners, climbers, or
    whoever in a "subset" of "rich white men with too much
    time on their hands imitating other rich white men with
    too much time on their hands in pursuit of glory" is
    silly. My whole point is people do these things because
    they enjoy it and most are just average working stiffs.
    Dean K is the exception, not the rule. That's why I
    earlier mentioned that most extreme trailrunners I've
    met aren't Dean K's and don't get their names in the
    newspapers...

    I judge things somewhat randomly. For

    Quoted message said:

    example, I think it's very cool that they have the iditarod race as I think
    it's a real epic and it keeps a history of the place alive. However, I
    dislike what I consider the publicity minded stunts that Dean K. enjoys
    doing. It could be argued in his case that he's doing it for charity, but
    something tells me it's really more part of his career publicity grand plan
    than charity.

    -Tony

  11. Dot said:


    Tony S. said:

    "Tom Phillips" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, an acquaintance of mine, someone I'd climbed
    with, was recently tragically killed pursuing his
    passion on Kilimanjaro and whether one is rich or
    not makes zero difference (he wasn't, and neither
    is any other world class climbers I know.) The
    point being average people of average means aspire
    to and do extraordinary things. And it has nothing
    to do with your idiot opinion.

    Interjecting into this debate -- with due respect, since I don't know your
    friend or his motives, I have to agree with Donovan in part in that many of
    the extreme adventure want-to-be explorers are indeed rich folks or at least
    people with enough connections to finance their quests, meaning they have
    rich supporters.

    There was a show this week on public television about Denali in Alaska. It
    was about why so many climbers die trying to climb the mountain. Well,
    somewhat obviously, it's the altitude combined with being so far north, but
    they were studying the environment's effects on a person's core temperature.
    1000 people attempt Denali every year and there are always deaths. As I
    watched it I thought that probably 900 of the 1000 people who attempt Denali
    every year have no business being there and are rich dumbasses out for
    bragging rights or wanting to be adventurers, some of whom die and many of
    whom come away with severe frostbite.

    But I wouldn't include them as true climbers. I'd call them
    ecoadventurers or something along those lines. I would agree with Phil
    about the average climber, backpacker, etc. (not ecoadventurer).
    Climbers that I knew from school usually lived in tents in base camp
    (say, Tetons) and just lived hand to mouth. If you don't have many
    expenses, you don't need much income. Heck, one of the guys I knew
    bicycled around the world (maybe 30 yr ago, obviously using boats when
    needed), giving guest talks and working as he went to raise money, then
    wrote a book (The Long Ride). One of my former techs (not rich) became
    the first documented woman to solo Denali the year after she worked for
    me (there was a case many years before but there were many, many
    questions as to whether the earlier one happeneed). Her general
    employment at the time was guiding - Denali (usually working for a
    guiding service) and elsewhere on her own or with husband. No doubt she
    took up some of the 900 that maybe didn't belong there. Some of my local
    friends who have climbed Denali were probably well off (both husband and
    wife worked) while others were below average income. But they definitely
    had jobs with limited vacation time. Of course, some of those I know
    now, just work part time or for non-profits or whatever - just enough to
    pay the bills while they live life to the fullest.

    Some adventurers (not ecoadventurers) may be well off and have good
    connections. But there's some who just have interesting backgrounds /
    aspirations that either do it hand-to-mouth or can get funding.

    And in modern society, there's no doubt many well-off middle-age crisis
    folks that are doing these various adventures and maybe retired early.
    And some may be knowledgeable climbers or whatever but got trapped
    behind a desk.

    I'd say there are many more middle age crisis folks
    going out and running marathons. I guide novice
    students into the backcountry every summer, taking
    some up their first mountain ever. It's far safer I
    think than some 55 year old who took up running at
    53 and then does a marathon because it's the thing
    to do 🙂

  12. Quoted message said:

    You've got to get out of your neck of the woods more Doug.


    __

    ....ahh..that would be the red neck...neck of the woods......which is
    ironic since he has a very negroidian name, "doug".

  13. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You've got to get out of your neck of the woods more Doug.


    __

    ...ahh..that would be the red neck...neck of the woods......which is
    ironic since he has a very negroidian name, "doug".

    Lance, you are behind the times.
    It ain't fall no more. So, it's not red neck of the woods.
    It's winter. Snow. White neck of the woods.

  14. Tom Phillips said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd say there are many more middle age crisis folks
    going out and running marathons. I guide novice
    students into the backcountry every summer, taking
    some up their first mountain ever. It's far safer I
    think than some 55 year old who took up running at
    53 and then does a marathon because it's the thing
    to do 🙂

    Or, just maybe they didn't get into being fit until an older age. I was
    a recreational distance runner in the 80s, but then my maladies caught
    up with me. I'm in my mid 40s, not a spring chicken, but am now taking
    better care of myself than ever before in my life. Am I running and
    want to run my first marathon in 20 years because it's trendy? No.

    Don't take anything away from someone who is making attempts to better
    themselves. : )

    Martha

  15. Donovan Rebbechi said:


    Tom Phillips said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd say you're the one making insults, calling people
    like Hillary and Amundsen "Rich white men with too much
    time on their hands imitating other rich white men with
    too much time on their hands in pursuit of glory..."

    No, not unless you're saying that Dean Karnazes is like
    Amundsen and Hillary. If *that's* what you're saying, I'd
    say you're just delusional.

    It sounds like a shot at Hillary and Amundsen and
    and all like them for what they accomplished. I
    think it's pretty clear I am saying they are _not_
    like DK, but the opposite...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hillary and Amundsen are both examples we could all
    learn lessons from, and deserve respect, which in fact
    requires humility...

    First, this is illogical, because it follows that one who
    does respect them has humility, but the converse doesn't
    follow.

    Second, getting down to *my* opinion, there are a lot of
    reasons that Hillary deserves respect, but climbing big
    mountains is not one of primary ones in my opinion.

    So, I guess the crew of Apollo 11 doesn't deserve
    respect either? All they did was be the first to
    land on the moon. Big deal. Never mind they easily
    could have ended up eternally orbiting the rock,
    a permanently frozen testament to our innate human
    need to explore and discover the unknown.

    The fact is, when Hillary and Norgay summited
    Everest they might as well have gone to the moon.
    It was that remote then. If something happened
    (and they knew they could easily die) there was
    no help. Unlike today no rescue would have been
    possible.

    So yeah, I think honest explorers like Hillary,
    Amundsen, Shackleton etc, as opposed to self serving
    record setters seeking media play, deserve respect
    for what they accomplished. My point is most
    trailrunners seem to be in the opposite category
    than a DK...

  16. Donovan Rebbechi said:


    Tom Phillips said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How is it insulting someone to call them white and to suggest that they have
    a relatively priveliged background ? I'm white and my background is somewhat
    priveliged. I don't find this observation insulting.

    A rationalization...

    Note: no rebuttal ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > arrogance, not the men who risked life and limb.
    >
    > You likely couldn't get above Base Camp let alone
    > to Everest's summit.

    No idea, no interest in finding out.

    Proves my point...you have zero business mouthing
    off about what you have zero knowledge of...

    No, it doesn't prove anything. The "you couldn't get above base camp" is
    not relevant to the debate, it's a cheap-shot on your part.

    Like I said, you know not about climbing Everest
    and thus can't credibly judge those who do...

    snip...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    BTW, an acquaintance of mine, someone I'd climbed
    with, was recently tragically killed pursuing his
    passion on Kilimanjaro and whether one is rich or
    not makes zero difference (he wasn't, and neither
    is any other world class climbers I know.) The
    point being average people of average means aspire
    to and do extraordinary things.

    Well, whatever toots your flute. I'm personally not impressed by it
    and thus don't seek to emulate it. There are other things that impress
    me and that I'd like to emulate instead. Different strokes for
    different folks. Perhaps *you're* the one who lacks humility in your
    insistence that I adopt *your* values.

    And just what extraordinary things have you
    done or accomplished? running wise or otherwise?
    I don't mean for self inflation, but internal
    satisfaction and enjoyment?

    I can tell you one thing, my acquaintance was a
    man of humility. You're the one who brought up this
    denigrating business of labeling and judging
    other people who pursue their passions...

  17. Donovan Rebbechi said:


    Doug Freese said:

    Out-group? In-group?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgroup_%28sociology%29

    Quoted message said:

    The original crack implies that all whites are rich and have time on
    their hands

    No, it doesn't imply that at all. At worst, it implies that ultra runners are
    (1) white, (2) rich, and (3) have too much time on their hands. I admit that
    this is a stereotype and really only applies to a certain fringe element of
    ultra runners. But it is certainly not comparable to invoking negative
    stereotypes of a vulnerable out-group.

    And of course your original commnets didn't qualify
    this so in retrospect you can now claim it implies
    whatever you want it to imply..

    The fact is the way you said it was inclusive not only
    of ultras but of any white men (runners, climbers,
    explorers...) who set out to accomplish something
    regardless of their true motivation.

  18. The Trailrunner said:


    Donovan Rebbechi said:

    No, it doesn't imply that at all. At worst, it implies that ultra runners are
    (1) white, (2) rich, and (3) have too much time on their hands. I admit that
    this is a stereotype and really only applies to a certain fringe element of
    ultra runners.

    And what fringe element would that be?

    The majority white fringe who aren't black, poor,
    don't work, and have nothing else to do but run,
    climb useless mountains, and do stupid self serving
    stuunts like ski across Antarctica and walk on the moon...

  19. Black Metal Martha said:


    Tom Phillips said:
    Quoted message said:

    >

    I'd say there are many more middle age crisis folks
    going out and running marathons. I guide novice
    students into the backcountry every summer, taking
    some up their first mountain ever. It's far safer I
    think than some 55 year old who took up running at
    53 and then does a marathon because it's the thing
    to do 🙂

    Or, just maybe they didn't get into being fit until an older age. I was
    a recreational distance runner in the 80s, but then my maladies caught
    up with me. I'm in my mid 40s, not a spring chicken, but am now taking
    better care of myself than ever before in my life. Am I running and
    want to run my first marathon in 20 years because it's trendy? No.

    Don't take anything away from someone who is making attempts to better
    themselves. : )

    Sure but what I mean is you need to get the
    proper training and expericen before luanching
    headlong into something. Clearly you have a
    running background and so understand this,
    what it takes, and when to pull back.

  20. Tom Phillips said:
    Black Metal Martha said:


    Tom Phillips said:

    > >

    Or, just maybe they didn't get into being fit until an older age. I was
    a recreational distance runner in the 80s, but then my maladies caught
    up with me. I'm in my mid 40s, not a spring chicken, but am now taking
    better care of myself than ever before in my life. Am I running and
    want to run my first marathon in 20 years because it's trendy? No.

    Don't take anything away from someone who is making attempts to better
    themselves. : )

    Sure but what I mean is you need to get the
    proper training and expericen before luanching
    headlong into something. Clearly you have a
    running background and so understand this,
    what it takes, and when to pull back.

    Let's put it this way, I understand more now than I did 20 years ago. :
    )

    Martha

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.