Re: Induction

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005.

  1. GQ wrote:
    > I think I did pretty well for my first day today. ..

    Just off the top of my head, it seemed like quite a few carbs for
    induction. But the important point is you are on your way! Keep a
    close eye on the carbs, watch for hidden carbs (the nasty little buggers
    hide everywhere)

    And keep up the exercise!

    --
    -=tn=-

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > GQ wrote:
    > > I think I did pretty well for my first day today. ..

    > Just off the top of my head, it seemed like quite a few carbs for
    > induction.

    Really? Where?

  3. GQ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 11:39:05 -0500, Travis Newbury <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >GQ wrote:
    > >> I think I did pretty well for my first day today. ..

    > >Just off the top of my head, it seemed like quite a few carbs for
    > >induction. But the important point is you are on your way! Keep a
    > >close eye on the carbs, watch for hidden carbs (the nasty little buggers
    > >hide everywhere)
    > >
    > >And keep up the exercise!

    > It came out to be 19.3 carbs for the whole day. I thought induction
    > was supposed to be 20 grams of carbs or under per day. Is this not
    > correct?

    yes, it's correct.

    you could do better than iceberg lettuce, though - there's zero
    nutritional value in that stuff. it's like cardboard soaked in water.

  4. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Eggs - 5, avocado - 4, lettuce - 0, cauliflower - 1, dressing maybe 2-3,
    tea - 6 at most, total 19. Frankly, I have never counted the carbs from
    coffee or tea.

    In news:[email protected],
    Travis Newbury <[email protected]> stated

  5. GQ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:15:08 GMT, [email protected] (The Queen of
    > Cans and Jars) wrote:
    >
    > >GQ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> It came out to be 19.3 carbs for the whole day. I thought induction
    > >> was supposed to be 20 grams of carbs or under per day. Is this not
    > >> correct?

    > >yes, it's correct.
    > >
    > >you could do better than iceberg lettuce, though - there's zero
    > >nutritional value in that stuff. it's like cardboard soaked in water.

    > yes that is true but it is also cheaper and we are on a fixed income,
    > so we have to watch the money. I will get other lettuce at different
    > times but this was on sale. :)

    i can certainly understand being on a budget. you might look into using
    cabbage instead of lettuce - i personally find it a much tastier salad
    base than lettuce, and it's usually pretty cheap.

  6. FOB

    FOB Guest

    That's what FitDay says, but that is with rounding. So the eggs actually
    would be 3 if large eggs, 4 if extra large, see you didn't give enough
    detail to figure it accurately as you didn't say what size your eggs were.
    I don't see where my figures are so far off, lettuce is pretty much O after
    subtracting fiber. The truth is even the USDA figures are estimates as
    items differ slightly among themselves. Ballparking works. If you take in
    25-30 carbs instead of 20 you won't do any harm--Protein Power starts at 30.
    If you take in 50 on induction it's a problem but ballparking it will not
    get you to 50 from 20.

    In news:[email protected],
    GQ <[email protected]> stated
    | On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:48:46 GMT, "FOB" <[email protected]>
    | wrote:
    |
    || Eggs - 5, avocado - 4, lettuce - 0, cauliflower - 1, dressing maybe
    || 2-3, tea - 6 at most, total 19. Frankly, I have never counted the
    || carbs from coffee or tea.
    |
    | The eggs do not add up to 5. Don't know where you are getting your
    | info but it is wrong. Maybe you should take a look at the USDA site to
    | get your carbs correct. And lettuce does indeed have carbs. You are so
    | wrong on your counts, it isn't even funny. Need to recheck your carb
    | counter and facts.
    || In news:[email protected],
    || Travis Newbury <[email protected]> stated
    ||| Just off the top of my head, it seemed like quite a few carbs for
    ||| induction. But the important point is you are on your way! Keep a
    ||| close eye on the carbs, watch for hidden carbs (the nasty little
    ||| buggers hide everywhere)
    ||| And keep up the exercise!

  7. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Hey, I didn't say you took in 25-30 carbs, I said you probably took in 19 at
    the most. What I said was that if you take in 25-30 it is not fatal to the
    program.

    Fitday gets most of its numbers from USDA. The problem is the way I was
    doing it, I was putting in 1 egg and FitDay rounds it up to 1 carb, if you
    put in 5 eggs, it will display 3 carbs. The fractional carbs are in its
    database but it doesn't display them for a single unit.

    Frankly, I think you are obsessing a little too much about carbs.

    In news:[email protected],
    GQ <[email protected]> stated
    | On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 20:54:53 GMT, "FOB" <[email protected]>
    | wrote:
    |
    || That's what FitDay says, but that is with rounding. So the eggs
    || actually would be 3 if large eggs, 4 if extra large, see you didn't
    || give enough detail to figure it accurately as you didn't say what
    || size your eggs were. I don't see where my figures are so far off,
    || lettuce is pretty much O after subtracting fiber. The truth is even
    || the USDA figures are estimates as items differ slightly among
    || themselves. Ballparking works. If you take in 25-30 carbs instead
    || of 20 you won't do any harm--Protein Power starts at 30. If you take
    || in 50 on induction it's a problem but ballparking it will not get
    || you to 50 from 20.
    |
    | FitDay is high on a lot of their carbs for different stuff. Sorry but
    | if you check Atkins you will see that they are high or you could check
    | the USDA site. Actually, lettuce is not really 0 carbs at all
    | according to the USDA. I did not take in 25-30 carbs. And today I took
    | in even less than yesterday.
    || In news:[email protected],
    || GQ <[email protected]> stated
    ||| The eggs do not add up to 5. Don't know where you are getting your
    ||| info but it is wrong. Maybe you should take a look at the USDA site
    ||| to get your carbs correct. And lettuce does indeed have carbs. You
    ||| are so wrong on your counts, it isn't even funny. Need to recheck
    ||| your carb counter and facts.

  8. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    FOB wrote:

    > Frankly, I think you are obsessing a little too much about carbs.

    I think it's her nature to obsess

  9. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    GQ wrote:

    >>I think it's her nature to obsess

    > Yeah right. Thanks so much. What are you doing here?

    I'm on a low carb diet. How are the jams and jellies?

  10. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    GQ wrote:

    > I am just trying to do the diet as prescribed is all.

    Sounds like you are doing fine. Now, go watch some TV like a good girl.

  11. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    GQ wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:06:33 +0700, Xtile <[email protected]>
    > wrote:

    >>>Yeah right. Thanks so much. What are you doing here?

    >>I'm on a low carb diet. How are the jams and jellies?

    > I haven't made them yet. I didn't know that you were writing a book.
    > ;-)
    >
    > That is in the future, but thanks for thinking of me.

    :(
    Awwwwww, well, your husband can always have some smuckers.

  12. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    GQ wrote:

    > Actually, he has the homemade ones I have made with sugar. He
    > especially likes my Prickly Pear Cactus Jelly and my Apple Butter.

    You are quite the homemaker!

  13. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    GQ wrote:

    > I do not follow orders from anyone, most especially you. ;-)

    Well, you need to take your mind off of things for awhile......

  14. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    "GQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >>you could do better than iceberg lettuce, though - there's zero
    >>nutritional value in that stuff. it's like cardboard soaked in water.

    > yes that is true but it is also cheaper and we are on a fixed income,
    > so we have to watch the money. I will get other lettuce at different
    > times but this was on sale. :)

    I planted a window-box of mixed salad leaves today - I'm hoping for some
    reasonably priced leaves to brighten up a salad real Soon Now : )

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/5.7/<6 Weight 95/79/72Kg
    1g Metformin, 75ug Thyroxine

  15. Jaime

    Jaime Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:42:24 -0000, "Nicky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I planted a window-box of mixed salad leaves today - I'm hoping for some
    >reasonably priced leaves to brighten up a salad real Soon Now : )

    I hope you have a bountiful crop. I am just waiting for the warm
    weather so I can plant various lettuces in my containers in my
    backyard. I love container gardening.

  16. Nicky

    Nicky Guest

    "Jaime" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:42:24 -0000, "Nicky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I planted a window-box of mixed salad leaves today - I'm hoping for some
    >>reasonably priced leaves to brighten up a salad real Soon Now : )

    > I hope you have a bountiful crop. I am just waiting for the warm
    > weather so I can plant various lettuces in my containers in my
    > backyard. I love container gardening.

    I've got 2 black thumbs, so I'm not getting my hopes up very high - but I
    did spend some of my Christmas money on a "container gardening for dummies"
    type book, plus a nice big bowl, some compost and some seeds, so I'm on my
    way : )

    Nicky.

    --
    A1c 10.5/5.7/<6 Weight 95/79/72Kg
    1g Metformin, 75ug Thyroxine
    T2 DX 05/2004

  17. DJ Delorie

    DJ Delorie Guest

  18. Bunky42

    Bunky42 Guest

    Jaime wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:42:24 -0000, "Nicky"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I planted a window-box of mixed salad leaves today - I'm hoping for some
    >>reasonably priced leaves to brighten up a salad real Soon Now : )

    > I hope you have a bountiful crop. I am just waiting for the warm
    > weather so I can plant various lettuces in my containers in my
    > backyard. I love container gardening.

    There's an idea, since my wife and I are living in an apartment. It will
    be 6 months or so until our place is ready. Thx

  19. Jaime

    Jaime Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:58:51 -0000, "Nicky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got 2 black thumbs, so I'm not getting my hopes up very high - but I
    >did spend some of my Christmas money on a "container gardening for dummies"
    >type book

    Yes I saw that book. Great book. I wanted to buy it but all my
    available cash is going towards old student loans and electric heating
    bills so money sure is tight for me.

    You know I think I will look for it in the library tomorrow. I have a
    book to return.

    > plus a nice big bowl, some compost and some seeds, so I'm on my
    >way : )

    I save all kinds of seeds from tomatoes, etc. It is fun to see what
    you get from them.

  20. Jaime